Universal Sports Network

Mentor

Universal Sports Network

Bright House, Dish, Cox, Direct TV have it but Uverse?  No.  How Come?

Message 1 of 22 (5,376 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Universal Sports Network

dhascall wrote:

I also wonder if NBC may use this channel as an overflow for NASCAR, F1 or other motorsports?

I would assume that if it were to come to that, NBC would use NBC Sports Network for overflow - in fact, when NBC's NASCAR Sprint Cup coverage starts in 2015, 13 of NBC's 20 races will be on NBC Sports Network.

The fact that NBC Sports Network is on cable/satellite services that Universal Sports is not should play a major part in that decision.  I can see it now: "Because of the earlier rain delay, we will not be able to show the end of the final NASCAR race of the season at Homestead because of our commitment to the NFL; the conclusion of this race will be seen on NBC Universal Sports.  For those of you with a cable or satellite service that does not include your local NBC Universal Sports channel, try standing up on your roof with an antenna."

Message 16 of 22 (4,925 Views)
ACE - Master

That Don Guy wrote:

dhascall wrote:

I also wonder if NBC may use this channel as an overflow for NASCAR, F1 or other motorsports?

I would assume that if it were to come to that, NBC would use NBC Sports Network for overflow - in fact, when NBC's NASCAR Sprint Cup coverage starts in 2015, 13 of NBC's 20 races will be on NBC Sports Network.

The fact that NBC Sports Network is on cable/satellite services that Universal Sports is not should play a major part in that decision.  I can see it now: "Because of the earlier rain delay, we will not be able to show the end of the final NASCAR race of the season at Homestead because of our commitment to the NFL; the conclusion of this race will be seen on NBC Universal Sports.  For those of you with a cable or satellite service that does not include your local NBC Universal Sports channel, try standing up on your roof with an antenna."

Yeah that would blow.  I actually consider all Cup races to be equal to a playoff NFL game - and as such, they should be on broadcast TV.  I know that they haven't been but in some parts of the country, cord cutters make up nearly 30% of viewers and some of those almost 30% are in the important (to advertisers) demographic.  I feel bad for my poor old dad. We buy his basic Time Warner cable but he doesn't get half of the cup races.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 22 (4,913 Views)
ACE - Expert

NBC only holds a miniority stake in this channel.  They've got USA, NBC Sports, and others to slough things off to before they'd come here.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 22 (4,910 Views)

dhascall wrote:
I actually consider all Cup races to be equal to a playoff NFL game - and as such, they should be on broadcast TV.  I know that they haven't been but in some parts of the country, cord cutters make up nearly 30% of viewers and some of those almost 30% are in the important (to advertisers) demographic.  I feel bad for my poor old dad. We buy his basic Time Warner cable but he doesn't get half of the cup races.

Actually, when the current with ESPN/ABC first took effect, the plan was to show all 10 Chase races plus the Brickyard 400 on ABC; I think they decided to show the last non-Chase race (Richmond, I think) and the Chase races on ABC.  Eventually, ABC moved most of its sports programming to ESPN (they even got rid of Monday Night Football), which is why you don't see more than one Chase race on ABC.

As for NFL vs NASCAR, the obvious response is "compare their ratings", but I think it's more of a contractual agreement with the NFL that would force them to interrupt a NASCAR race.  I do remember when NBC had to interrupt an NFL game (besides the "Heidi Bowl", that is, and even then, that game aired in its entirety in the western half of the country); NBC was obligated to show a baseball World Series game that started at 8 Eastern, so it "pulled the plug" (without any warning) at 7:30 so it could air its 30-minute national news show before the baseball game.

I think NASCAR's Chase is treated more like NHL's Stanley Cup Finals - and maybe I am reading this wrong, but apparently no Stanley Cup Finals series has ever aired in its entirety on national broadcast network TV; in fact, from 1976 throutgh 1994, only one game (Game 6 in 1980) was shown nationwide on a broadcast network.

Message 19 of 22 (4,877 Views)
ACE - Master

I've even wrankled a few feathers in NASCAR, over this.  I follow Steve O'Donnel on Twitter.  He is one of their executive VP's and at the front of their social media offerings.  I chided them that after FOX's season is over, most are not on broadcast TV.  He didn't like that but we discussed back and forth and he retweeted my tweets (or is that my twits?  i dunno) to his followers and most in the NASCAR community follow him.  I got a few new followers from the exchanges and i don't twit that much, lol.

Message 20 of 22 (4,843 Views)
ACE - Expert

As I understand the terminology, the messages are "tweets", those who send them are "twits."

I have a twitter account, but I'm not a "twit." (Never sent a tweet.)

Message 21 of 22 (4,821 Views)
ACE - Master

I would think that folks who use twitter would be twits and the individual messages would be twits, as well.  Else, why not call it Tweeter?  And yes, I am a twit.

Message 22 of 22 (4,806 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.