Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 24, 2013
1:46:54 PM
View profile
Unhappy long time att customer
Edited by Phil-101 on Sep 24, 2013 at 9:40:51 PM

Mariana,

I am a very unhappy long time att customer and also own stock in the company, I am unhappy because despite the lengh of time I have been a loyal, prompt paying customer I was just given the brush off when I called in an effor to reduce my U-verse bundle cost. I pointed out to the operator that you are offering new customers 1/2 the cost that I am paying and that is totally unfair to me. She offered to reduce my home phone for 3 months, my internet for 6 months and my U-verse for 12 months. I told her that wasn't a very good option and only a very short term reduction in cost. I can leave and pay 1/2 with a cable operator but really don't want to do so. I think ATT should be ashamed at this feeble effort to keep my business.  Is this really where this company is headed? Can you direct me to someone that would be able to assist me? When I told this operator my best option would apparently be to leave ATT and go elsewhere, she didn't offer to pass me on to a supervisor or anything but was more than willing to just let me take my services elsewhere.

[Subject edited to reflect new topic]

Mariana,

I am a very unhappy long time att customer and also own stock in the company, I am unhappy because despite the lengh of time I have been a loyal, prompt paying customer I was just given the brush off when I called in an effor to reduce my U-verse bundle cost. I pointed out to the operator that you are offering new customers 1/2 the cost that I am paying and that is totally unfair to me. She offered to reduce my home phone for 3 months, my internet for 6 months and my U-verse for 12 months. I told her that wasn't a very good option and only a very short term reduction in cost. I can leave and pay 1/2 with a cable operator but really don't want to do so. I think ATT should be ashamed at this feeble effort to keep my business.  Is this really where this company is headed? Can you direct me to someone that would be able to assist me? When I told this operator my best option would apparently be to leave ATT and go elsewhere, she didn't offer to pass me on to a supervisor or anything but was more than willing to just let me take my services elsewhere.

Unhappy long time att customer

[ Edited ]
8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 3:13:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

sc79499 wrote:

Mariana,

The prices you're seeing advertised for new customers are also short term reductions in cost. After the promotional period, those customers will go to regular prices. Depending on how long you've been with Uverse, those prices will be the same or more than what you pay.

sc79499 wrote:

Mariana,

The prices you're seeing advertised for new customers are also short term reductions in cost. After the promotional period, those customers will go to regular prices. Depending on how long you've been with Uverse, those prices will be the same or more than what you pay.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Unhappy long time att customer

2 of 9 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 6:17:02 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Sep 25, 2013 at 6:18:58 AM

New customers are offered a promotion to attract their business and increase stock holder value by moving short term trial to long term monthly payments.

From Uverse terms of service...
a. Term Plans, Bundle Discounts.
When you purchased the Service, you agreed to specific price and plan, which may have included a term of one, two, or three years (“Term Plan”). Similarly, some plans may offer a discount on the Service if you sign up for other AT&T services (“Bundle Discount”). You agree to maintain your Service and the bundled services for the applicable term. If you signed up for a Term Plan or a Bundle Discount, the price available with those plans is valid until one of the following occurs, at which time your price may revert to the then-existing price for your service: (1) the term expires; (2) you move from your current service address to another service address; or (3) you drop one of the AT&T services you were required to purchase to receive the special rate.

When contacting the company Sales is for new customers, to access special or new term pricing for established accounts one needs to talk to retentions. To contact retention dept please inform the rep you which to cancel your services, you should then be transferred to retentions. Their job is to keep you as a customer, may offer lower than current monthly pricing in exchange for new (non month o month) contract with early termination fee of $180.

A financial reduction was offered without a reduction in services, just not as steep as perhaps you desired,and for a term of 3, 6, 12 months
Additionally your ability to leave for cable at less is also a short term reduction in cost to that promotion ends and placed on normal pricing with cable, cycle repeats.

New customers are offered a promotion to attract their business and increase stock holder value by moving short term trial to long term monthly payments.

From Uverse terms of service...
a. Term Plans, Bundle Discounts.
When you purchased the Service, you agreed to specific price and plan, which may have included a term of one, two, or three years (“Term Plan”). Similarly, some plans may offer a discount on the Service if you sign up for other AT&T services (“Bundle Discount”). You agree to maintain your Service and the bundled services for the applicable term. If you signed up for a Term Plan or a Bundle Discount, the price available with those plans is valid until one of the following occurs, at which time your price may revert to the then-existing price for your service: (1) the term expires; (2) you move from your current service address to another service address; or (3) you drop one of the AT&T services you were required to purchase to receive the special rate.

When contacting the company Sales is for new customers, to access special or new term pricing for established accounts one needs to talk to retentions. To contact retention dept please inform the rep you which to cancel your services, you should then be transferred to retentions. Their job is to keep you as a customer, may offer lower than current monthly pricing in exchange for new (non month o month) contract with early termination fee of $180.

A financial reduction was offered without a reduction in services, just not as steep as perhaps you desired,and for a term of 3, 6, 12 months
Additionally your ability to leave for cable at less is also a short term reduction in cost to that promotion ends and placed on normal pricing with cable, cycle repeats.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
3 of 9 (876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 6:57:42 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, sc79499!

Thanks for your post. I hope you found MicCheck's and mythoughts' answers to be helpful. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, sc79499!

Thanks for your post. I hope you found MicCheck's and mythoughts' answers to be helpful. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 9 (867 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 1:53:27 PM
(0)
Scholar
The business models encourage people to switch. Unfortunately, not enough people do it, that's why the prices are so low for switching. When enough people do it, then those introductory prices will rise. They count on you not wanting to switch, which is why the retention deals aren't going to ever be as good as what a new customer gets. I switched back in the days of landline phone service and dialup internet. There were enough companies that it was very worthwhile. The best you can get from retention is temporary reductions. You'll have to just put up with it and keep asking each year.
The business models encourage people to switch. Unfortunately, not enough people do it, that's why the prices are so low for switching. When enough people do it, then those introductory prices will rise. They count on you not wanting to switch, which is why the retention deals aren't going to ever be as good as what a new customer gets. I switched back in the days of landline phone service and dialup internet. There were enough companies that it was very worthwhile. The best you can get from retention is temporary reductions. You'll have to just put up with it and keep asking each year.

5 of 9 (846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 8:05:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm running into the exact same scenario right now.  ATT Uverse has been good in the past couple of years in lowering my monthly bill to at or around the new customer rates, but this year I had no such luck.  With the reduced rates, every year they would provide incentives to upgrade service.  I'm now in the U450 package, so there is no avenue for me to upgrade, and hence they've been unable to drop my rate to a level that is at all competitive.

My bill just went up in December to $185/mo, and the best they could do would be to drop it to $155/mo.  ATT is offering service I'm looking for to new customers in the $110/mo range, and comcast is offering almost the exact same package at the same pricing. 

Although I love the Uverse service and their customer service has always been helpful, it's really hard to justify spending an extra $450-$550/year when there is sucha a similar competing service out there.  Of course it's a bit of a hassle switching, but ATT isn't giving me a lot of options.  When you figure that they spend $150 in promotional credits along with hundreds of millions in advertising you'd think they would put some priority on customer retention, but this year that just doesn't seem to be the case... at least for me.

I'm running into the exact same scenario right now.  ATT Uverse has been good in the past couple of years in lowering my monthly bill to at or around the new customer rates, but this year I had no such luck.  With the reduced rates, every year they would provide incentives to upgrade service.  I'm now in the U450 package, so there is no avenue for me to upgrade, and hence they've been unable to drop my rate to a level that is at all competitive.

My bill just went up in December to $185/mo, and the best they could do would be to drop it to $155/mo.  ATT is offering service I'm looking for to new customers in the $110/mo range, and comcast is offering almost the exact same package at the same pricing. 

Although I love the Uverse service and their customer service has always been helpful, it's really hard to justify spending an extra $450-$550/year when there is sucha a similar competing service out there.  Of course it's a bit of a hassle switching, but ATT isn't giving me a lot of options.  When you figure that they spend $150 in promotional credits along with hundreds of millions in advertising you'd think they would put some priority on customer retention, but this year that just doesn't seem to be the case... at least for me.

6 of 9 (613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 6:49:05 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm beyond frustrated.  I had Dish Network for 10+ years and I regret switching to U-Verse  Dish would upgrade my equipment for free because I was a loyal customer.  AT&T...not so much.  I have to pay extra for infrared remotes, my receivers are unacceptably slow...and I get all of this for the bargain price of $180+/month.  I get to reward AT&T for my loyalty by paying higher rates every other month (or so it seems).  Really?  Shouldn't it be the other way around????  I tried to cancel my service and I was put on hold for 45+ minutes (twice)....I do have a job!  Did I mention that I have lost all of my recordings last night for the 4th time because my equipment froze????  My $45 ROKU has a better remote control and more reliable equipment.  I will be attempting to cancel my service again tomorrow.  Wish me luck! 

A funny side note.  I just did spell check and U-Verse pops up as a mis-spelled word.  Classic.

I'm beyond frustrated.  I had Dish Network for 10+ years and I regret switching to U-Verse  Dish would upgrade my equipment for free because I was a loyal customer.  AT&T...not so much.  I have to pay extra for infrared remotes, my receivers are unacceptably slow...and I get all of this for the bargain price of $180+/month.  I get to reward AT&T for my loyalty by paying higher rates every other month (or so it seems).  Really?  Shouldn't it be the other way around????  I tried to cancel my service and I was put on hold for 45+ minutes (twice)....I do have a job!  Did I mention that I have lost all of my recordings last night for the 4th time because my equipment froze????  My $45 ROKU has a better remote control and more reliable equipment.  I will be attempting to cancel my service again tomorrow.  Wish me luck! 

A funny side note.  I just did spell check and U-Verse pops up as a mis-spelled word.  Classic.

7 of 9 (449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2014 1:36:24 PM
(0)
Mentor

Nobody likes paying higher rates... but it is silly as a current customer to expect to get promotional prices offered to new customers for a promotional period. Companies in many fields do this routinely to increase their customer base.

Nobody likes paying higher rates... but it is silly as a current customer to expect to get promotional prices offered to new customers for a promotional period. Companies in many fields do this routinely to increase their customer base.

8 of 9 (426 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2014 2:01:00 PM
(0)
Teacher
For what it's worth, retention bonuses aren't unusual either.

Not saying you can expect one, but particularly for long-tenured customers it's common to offer some loyalty reward.

That will most likely be less than your new customer offer, though. Always more expensive to acquire a customer than to retain one.
For what it's worth, retention bonuses aren't unusual either.

Not saying you can expect one, but particularly for long-tenured customers it's common to offer some loyalty reward.

That will most likely be less than your new customer offer, though. Always more expensive to acquire a customer than to retain one.

9 of 9 (420 Views)