Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 20, 2013
7:06:52 PM
View profile
Unblocking SMTP port 25 for my webcam

Hi, I've seen that others have received help from this forum to have their smtp port 25 unblocked. I called technical support and they cannot help me. Can someone here help?

Hi, I've seen that others have received help from this forum to have their smtp port 25 unblocked. I called technical support and they cannot help me. Can someone here help?

Unblocking SMTP port 25 for my webcam

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 7:44:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

As far as I know, you can still get port 25 unblocked for a one-time fee.  An AT&T employee should be around before too long and can assist you with that.

It may be possible to configure your camera to use some other port.  Many mail servers support a port other than 25, especially with some sort of authentication.

As far as I know, you can still get port 25 unblocked for a one-time fee.  An AT&T employee should be around before too long and can assist you with that.

It may be possible to configure your camera to use some other port.  Many mail servers support a port other than 25, especially with some sort of authentication.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Unblocking SMTP port 25 for my webcam

2 of 14 (1,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 4:26:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Can you post the brand and model number of the camera?  We might be able to assist better after looking at the manual.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Can you post the brand and model number of the camera?  We might be able to assist better after looking at the manual.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 14 (1,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 9:14:31 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hi, it's a Trendnet ip110w camera.  I also have another camera where I was able to get it to work using port 587.  I tried the exact same settings on the Trendnet, and it failed.

Hi, it's a Trendnet ip110w camera.  I also have another camera where I was able to get it to work using port 587.  I tried the exact same settings on the Trendnet, and it failed.

4 of 14 (1,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 10:04:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I don't know if this might help: TRENDnet | Support| KnowledgeBase | TV-IP110W | How to setup the Internet Camera for Remote Viewing ...

This might also help once you get the port set that you want to use: Foscam.us – Wireless Network IP Cameras » Blog Archive » Guide to Port Forwarding – 2Wire Router

5 of 14 (1,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 10:56:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you but that's not what I'm asking about.  I already have it set up to view over the internet. I need port 25 unblocked for my account so that my camera can send email to me when a motion alarm is triggered. 

Thank you but that's not what I'm asking about.  I already have it set up to view over the internet. I need port 25 unblocked for my account so that my camera can send email to me when a motion alarm is triggered. 

6 of 14 (1,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 11:06:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Oh sorry.....My mistake.  Yep, one of the community managers will have to assist you with that.

Oh sorry.....My mistake.  Yep, one of the community managers will have to assist you with that.

7 of 14 (1,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 11:18:52 AM
(0)
Employee

Hello, schrgd

My name is Morgan, I'm one of the Community Managers. I apologize for the wait but, I'll be glad to help you. As you know, the U-verse gateway by default blocks the SMTP filter (Port 25). I was able to pull up your account and I can remove the block for you. It just takes a minute or two. Would you mind waiting 1-2 minutes and then let me know if this helps? Thanks in advance. Smiley Happy

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hello, schrgd

My name is Morgan, I'm one of the Community Managers. I apologize for the wait but, I'll be glad to help you. As you know, the U-verse gateway by default blocks the SMTP filter (Port 25). I was able to pull up your account and I can remove the block for you. It just takes a minute or two. Would you mind waiting 1-2 minutes and then let me know if this helps? Thanks in advance. Smiley Happy

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 14 (1,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 11:26:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I do not see an explicit option for changing the port used for SMTP on this device.  You can try using the nameSmiley Tongueort syntax on the SMTP host name, but I have no idea whether this will work or not.

I do not see an explicit option for changing the port used for SMTP on this device.  You can try using the nameSmiley Tongueort syntax on the SMTP host name, but I have no idea whether this will work or not.

9 of 14 (1,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 11:29:03 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hi Morgan, that would be awesome!  Thank you.

Hi Morgan, that would be awesome!  Thank you.

10 of 14 (1,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 12:01:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hi Morgan,

For some reason, it's still not working. Do I use the following smtp server: smtp.yahoo.att.net?  Also, do I need to restart the gateway?

Hi Morgan,

For some reason, it's still not working. Do I use the following smtp server: smtp.yahoo.att.net?  Also, do I need to restart the gateway?

11 of 14 (1,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 7:55:07 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi schrgd,

I went to the main site to see how to set up the E-mail settings, but unfortunately, it does not give any detailed information besides put in your email server information.

Our email settings are

Email Program Settings Field:

Enter:

Incoming (POP)

pop.att.yahoo.com

Outgoing (SMTP)

smtp.att.yahoo.com
(requires authentication)

Incoming mail server:

POP3

Incoming/Outgoing User Name:

Full AT&T email address, including domain (e.g., test@att.net, test@bellsouth.net)

Incoming mail port #:

995, secure connection (SSL) checked

Outgoing mail port #

465, secure connection (SSL) checked

The main problem that I notice that some programs are not capable of is using a SSL connection. If you do not enable this setting, you cannot use our e-mail server. Also, it does not operate through port 25. If your security camera does not use this setting, you may have to use a different e-mail provider besides your AT&T account.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi schrgd,

I went to the main site to see how to set up the E-mail settings, but unfortunately, it does not give any detailed information besides put in your email server information.

Our email settings are

Email Program Settings Field:

Enter:

Incoming (POP)

pop.att.yahoo.com

Outgoing (SMTP)

smtp.att.yahoo.com
(requires authentication)

Incoming mail server:

POP3

Incoming/Outgoing User Name:

Full AT&T email address, including domain (e.g., test@att.net, test@bellsouth.net)

Incoming mail port #:

995, secure connection (SSL) checked

Outgoing mail port #

465, secure connection (SSL) checked

The main problem that I notice that some programs are not capable of is using a SSL connection. If you do not enable this setting, you cannot use our e-mail server. Also, it does not operate through port 25. If your security camera does not use this setting, you may have to use a different e-mail provider besides your AT&T account.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

12 of 14 (1,458 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 6:14:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The doc on this camera states that it doesn't support TLS (SSL) either.  What you could possibly do to work around this is to set up an SMTP relay server on a PC inside your network (e.g. using IIS on a Windows box) which could accept the e-mails from the camera, then forward them to the AT&T mail server using the correct port and TLS.

Not a trivial undertaking, but possible.  Probably the better alternative is a newer camera or (I hate to say it), a different HSI provider.  Though, I'll warn you that it won't be long before all HSI providers have similar restrictions.

The doc on this camera states that it doesn't support TLS (SSL) either.  What you could possibly do to work around this is to set up an SMTP relay server on a PC inside your network (e.g. using IIS on a Windows box) which could accept the e-mails from the camera, then forward them to the AT&T mail server using the correct port and TLS.

Not a trivial undertaking, but possible.  Probably the better alternative is a newer camera or (I hate to say it), a different HSI provider.  Though, I'll warn you that it won't be long before all HSI providers have similar restrictions.

13 of 14 (1,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 9:19:27 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you all for your help.  I believe jeffermc is right.  I'm thinking that particular camera indeed does not support SSL.  I've had the camera forever, so I'll just look into getting another one that has better features like my other one that does currently work.  I appreciate everyone's responses. Take care!

Thank you all for your help.  I believe jeffermc is right.  I'm thinking that particular camera indeed does not support SSL.  I've had the camera forever, so I'll just look into getting another one that has better features like my other one that does currently work.  I appreciate everyone's responses. Take care!

14 of 14 (1,458 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments