Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 24, 2013
5:53:53 PM
View profile
Unable to Access Router

Just got my install done, and I would like to access the 2wire router for at the least to make my wifi password a bit more secure. I've tried IE and Chrome - tyed in the gateway ip 192.168.1.254, gatway.2wire.net, and even just typing in home like i saw in another thread. Nothing seems to be working! Any help would be appreciated

Just got my install done, and I would like to access the 2wire router for at the least to make my wifi password a bit more secure. I've tried IE and Chrome - tyed in the gateway ip 192.168.1.254, gatway.2wire.net, and even just typing in home like i saw in another thread. Nothing seems to be working! Any help would be appreciated

Unable to Access Router

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2013 11:49:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Try this link: http://192.168.1.254/ gets me to my 2wire immeciately. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Try this link: http://192.168.1.254/ gets me to my 2wire immeciately. Smiley Wink

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Unable to Access Router

2 of 20 (982 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2013 7:38:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

This webpage is not available

The connection to 192.168.1.254 was interrupted. -

This is all I get

This is all I get

3 of 20 (951 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2013 9:28:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Calyus wrote:

This is all I get

DO you have JavaScript disabled, or are you using any form of script blocking browser plug in?  That could explain it.  I also have some troubles accessing my router if I use https instead of http, so check that as well, as yours may need one or the other depending upon the secrity settings.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Calyus wrote:

This is all I get

DO you have JavaScript disabled, or are you using any form of script blocking browser plug in?  That could explain it.  I also have some troubles accessing my router if I use https instead of http, so check that as well, as yours may need one or the other depending upon the secrity settings.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 20 (933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 2:38:41 PM
(0)
Tutor

I do not have any script blockers installed, I will confirm it's not disabled. And when typing in the destinations it auto directs to the error page. But I will try to type in the http/https syntax

I do not have any script blockers installed, I will confirm it's not disabled. And when typing in the destinations it auto directs to the error page. But I will try to type in the http/https syntax

5 of 20 (849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 5:22:11 PM
(0)
Tutor
Java Script is enabled, disabled all plugins I had with Chrome tried both http/https, Tried IE/Chrome same issue. I saw another thread about UV Real Time downloaded this tool and it's sat on Attempting to Connect now for about 15 minutes.
Java Script is enabled, disabled all plugins I had with Chrome tried both http/https, Tried IE/Chrome same issue. I saw another thread about UV Real Time downloaded this tool and it's sat on Attempting to Connect now for about 15 minutes.

6 of 20 (827 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 12:26:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

If you are using WIFI, try connecting with an ethernet cable.  I know that some routers don't allow you to administer them from a wifi connection, but I don't recall exactly about the AT&T ones.  I generally use hardwaired connections just for performance, since I have gigabit ethernet in my home, I can move files around the house at very high speed when wired.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

If you are using WIFI, try connecting with an ethernet cable.  I know that some routers don't allow you to administer them from a wifi connection, but I don't recall exactly about the AT&T ones.  I generally use hardwaired connections just for performance, since I have gigabit ethernet in my home, I can move files around the house at very high speed when wired.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

7 of 20 (794 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 5:09:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

The PC im currently on is Direct connect, I have as well tried on a laptop wirelessly with no avail.

The PC im currently on is Direct connect, I have as well tried on a laptop wirelessly with no avail.

8 of 20 (776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 5:21:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Have you tried an unplug/plug in reboot for 30 seconds of the RG? Smiley Surprised

Chris

Have you tried an unplug/plug in reboot for 30 seconds of the RG? Smiley Surprised

Chris

9 of 20 (771 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 2:34:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've tried everything short of hitting the reset button on the back of the Gateway.

I've tried everything short of hitting the reset button on the back of the Gateway.

10 of 20 (714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 2:45:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

One last thing I can think of.  If you are runnign Windows (which I assume you are) open a command prompt (DOS box) and type the command:

IPCONFIG

Note the value that is displayed for the "Default Gateway".  If you don't see that value, try the command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Now, use that value in the address bar of your browser.  It is possible that your router is using a different default IP address than what we are used to.  I know this is a long shot, and I doubt it will work because you are getting a device at the other end of the address you are using, but it just isn't letting you in.  It is possible that you have a different device on the default IP Address, and that is what is refusing your connection, but that seems a bit out of the norm to me.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

One last thing I can think of.  If you are runnign Windows (which I assume you are) open a command prompt (DOS box) and type the command:

IPCONFIG

Note the value that is displayed for the "Default Gateway".  If you don't see that value, try the command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Now, use that value in the address bar of your browser.  It is possible that your router is using a different default IP address than what we are used to.  I know this is a long shot, and I doubt it will work because you are getting a device at the other end of the address you are using, but it just isn't letting you in.  It is possible that you have a different device on the default IP Address, and that is what is refusing your connection, but that seems a bit out of the norm to me.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

11 of 20 (712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 6:00:26 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Calyus on Jul 2, 2013 at 8:04:54 PM

Direct from the command prompt.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c83:414:7c79:78f2%11
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.65
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Just read the last of the previous comment.. I do not have any device other than the ATT Gateway that was installed. I'm not piggy backing 2 routers. 

Just read the last of the previous comment.. I do not have any device other than the ATT Gateway that was installed. I'm not piggy backing 2 routers. 

[ Edited ]
12 of 20 (687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2013 4:33:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Looks like your PC got an IP address via the DHCP protocol from the Residential Gateway correctly.

You may have a bad port on the RG, or a bad RG, or a bad cable.  You might try resetting the RG back to factory settings (I believe that is accomplished by holding the button in the back of the RG while applying power).

Looks like your PC got an IP address via the DHCP protocol from the Residential Gateway correctly.

You may have a bad port on the RG, or a bad RG, or a bad cable.  You might try resetting the RG back to factory settings (I believe that is accomplished by holding the button in the back of the RG while applying power).

13 of 20 (648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2013 4:53:57 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Calyus on Jul 4, 2013 at 4:57:36 PM

I am using the cable provided by the installer, tonight I will try the 2nd one he provided me and even my original cable to confirm. However I don't see the wiring being the issue as it did not work on a wireless laptop either. If I do the factory reset will it come back up running on its own with out any additional credentials needed from me to operate it?

Edit: Keep in mind I'm not having any connection issues, I would simply like to control the RG. Change the Wifi PW; I have some port forwarding I need to do -> Non of which is vital. But which is preferable.

I am using the cable provided by the installer, tonight I will try the 2nd one he provided me and even my original cable to confirm. However I don't see the wiring being the issue as it did not work on a wireless laptop either. If I do the factory reset will it come back up running on its own with out any additional credentials needed from me to operate it?

Edit: Keep in mind I'm not having any connection issues, I would simply like to control the RG. Change the Wifi PW; I have some port forwarding I need to do -> Non of which is vital. But which is preferable.

[ Edited ]
14 of 20 (595 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2013 7:39:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I went back and skimmed through the discussion again and I didn't see a couple things that may help.  What modle of 2Wore RG do you have?  Also what version of Windows are you running (and are you runing any anti-virus/anti-malware tools on your computer)?

There are some browser plugins for some of the A-V suites that can cause this type of problem.  I don't know if this could be related to your issue or not, but it is worth mentioning.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

I went back and skimmed through the discussion again and I didn't see a couple things that may help.  What modle of 2Wore RG do you have?  Also what version of Windows are you running (and are you runing any anti-virus/anti-malware tools on your computer)?

There are some browser plugins for some of the A-V suites that can cause this type of problem.  I don't know if this could be related to your issue or not, but it is worth mentioning.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

15 of 20 (583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2013 10:06:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Calyus wrote:

Did you see if the link will connect after it returned the 192.168.1.254 as it's address above? Smiley Surprised

Chris

Calyus wrote:

Did you see if the link will connect after it returned the 192.168.1.254 as it's address above? Smiley Surprised

Chris

16 of 20 (558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2013 5:33:40 PM
(0)
Tutor
I am running Windows7 have a I38HG RG for my AV software I am using Avast pro and I do not have any Fire Wall software installed other than the pre-loaded Windows Firewall which is currently disabled. Now Avast! does have a Chrome extension/plugin which is installed; How ever I have disabled not just that one plugin but all of my plugins and it continues to do the same.
I am running Windows7 have a I38HG RG for my AV software I am using Avast pro and I do not have any Fire Wall software installed other than the pre-loaded Windows Firewall which is currently disabled. Now Avast! does have a Chrome extension/plugin which is installed; How ever I have disabled not just that one plugin but all of my plugins and it continues to do the same.

17 of 20 (522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2013 5:53:49 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Calyus on Jul 5, 2013 at 5:55:11 PM

@mibrnsurg

My gateway has always showed listed as the 192.168.1.254 which I'm going to post some screenshots of, however I've tried simply typing in home, gateway.2wire.net, and even tried UV Real Time to see if it would connect. No luck so far

Also I just got around to checking alternate wiring and no change between what was provided to me, and what I had previously.

Ping:

Pinging 192.168.1.254 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.254:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 2ms

NSLookup:

Server: homeportal
Address: 192.168.1.254

Name: gateway.2wire.net.gateway.2wire.net
Addresses: 192.168.1.254

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

@mibrnsurg

My gateway has always showed listed as the 192.168.1.254 which I'm going to post some screenshots of, however I've tried simply typing in home, gateway.2wire.net, and even tried UV Real Time to see if it would connect. No luck so far

Also I just got around to checking alternate wiring and no change between what was provided to me, and what I had previously.

Ping:

Pinging 192.168.1.254 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.254:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 2ms

NSLookup:

Server: homeportal
Address: 192.168.1.254

Name: gateway.2wire.net.gateway.2wire.net
Addresses: 192.168.1.254

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

[ Edited ]
18 of 20 (516 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2013 6:17:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I'm thinking you must have a bad RG.  You could try doing a factory reset on it, but past that, call AT&T Technical Support at 800-288-2020

I'm thinking you must have a bad RG.  You could try doing a factory reset on it, but past that, call AT&T Technical Support at 800-288-2020

19 of 20 (510 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2013 8:28:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'm not familiar with the I38HG RG, but I did find this link on how to configure it for port forwarding:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB413180&cv=812,520&title=Setting+up+Port+Forwarding#fbi...

I'm sure you've already "been there, done that" but it is about all I can offer as potential assistance at this time.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

I'm not familiar with the I38HG RG, but I did find this link on how to configure it for port forwarding:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB413180&cv=812,520&title=Setting+up+Port+Forwarding#fbid=hExu-TvQuTr

I'm sure you've already "been there, done that" but it is about all I can offer as potential assistance at this time.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

20 of 20 (494 Views)