Unable to Access Router

Tutor

Unable to Access Router

Just got my install done, and I would like to access the 2wire router for at the least to make my wifi password a bit more secure. I've tried IE and Chrome - tyed in the gateway ip 192.168.1.254, gatway.2wire.net, and even just typing in home like i saw in another thread. Nothing seems to be working! Any help would be appreciated

Message 1 of 20 (1,306 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Unable to Access Router

Try this link: http://192.168.1.254/ gets me to my 2wire immeciately. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 20 (1,261 Views)
Tutor

This webpage is not available

The connection to 192.168.1.254 was interrupted. -

This is all I get
Message 3 of 20 (1,230 Views)
ACE - Master

Calyus wrote:

This webpage is not available

The connection to 192.168.1.254 was interrupted. -

This is all I get

DO you have JavaScript disabled, or are you using any form of script blocking browser plug in?  That could explain it.  I also have some troubles accessing my router if I use https instead of http, so check that as well, as yours may need one or the other depending upon the secrity settings.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 20 (1,212 Views)
Tutor

I do not have any script blockers installed, I will confirm it's not disabled. And when typing in the destinations it auto directs to the error page. But I will try to type in the http/https syntax

Message 5 of 20 (1,128 Views)
Tutor

Java Script is enabled, disabled all plugins I had with Chrome tried both http/https, Tried IE/Chrome same issue. I saw another thread about UV Real Time downloaded this tool and it's sat on Attempting to Connect now for about 15 minutes.
Message 6 of 20 (1,106 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

If you are using WIFI, try connecting with an ethernet cable.  I know that some routers don't allow you to administer them from a wifi connection, but I don't recall exactly about the AT&T ones.  I generally use hardwaired connections just for performance, since I have gigabit ethernet in my home, I can move files around the house at very high speed when wired.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Message 7 of 20 (1,073 Views)
Tutor

The PC im currently on is Direct connect, I have as well tried on a laptop wirelessly with no avail.

Message 8 of 20 (1,055 Views)
ACE - Expert

Have you tried an unplug/plug in reboot for 30 seconds of the RG? Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 9 of 20 (1,050 Views)
Tutor

I've tried everything short of hitting the reset button on the back of the Gateway.

Message 10 of 20 (993 Views)
ACE - Master

One last thing I can think of.  If you are runnign Windows (which I assume you are) open a command prompt (DOS box) and type the command:

IPCONFIG

Note the value that is displayed for the "Default Gateway".  If you don't see that value, try the command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Now, use that value in the address bar of your browser.  It is possible that your router is using a different default IP address than what we are used to.  I know this is a long shot, and I doubt it will work because you are getting a device at the other end of the address you are using, but it just isn't letting you in.  It is possible that you have a different device on the default IP Address, and that is what is refusing your connection, but that seems a bit out of the norm to me.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Message 11 of 20 (991 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Direct from the command prompt.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c83:414:7c79:78f2%11
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.65
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Just read the last of the previous comment.. I do not have any device other than the ATT Gateway that was installed. I'm not piggy backing 2 routers. 

Message 12 of 20 (966 Views)
ACE - Expert

Looks like your PC got an IP address via the DHCP protocol from the Residential Gateway correctly.

You may have a bad port on the RG, or a bad RG, or a bad cable.  You might try resetting the RG back to factory settings (I believe that is accomplished by holding the button in the back of the RG while applying power).

Message 13 of 20 (927 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I am using the cable provided by the installer, tonight I will try the 2nd one he provided me and even my original cable to confirm. However I don't see the wiring being the issue as it did not work on a wireless laptop either. If I do the factory reset will it come back up running on its own with out any additional credentials needed from me to operate it?

Edit: Keep in mind I'm not having any connection issues, I would simply like to control the RG. Change the Wifi PW; I have some port forwarding I need to do -> Non of which is vital. But which is preferable.

Message 14 of 20 (874 Views)
ACE - Master

I went back and skimmed through the discussion again and I didn't see a couple things that may help.  What modle of 2Wore RG do you have?  Also what version of Windows are you running (and are you runing any anti-virus/anti-malware tools on your computer)?

There are some browser plugins for some of the A-V suites that can cause this type of problem.  I don't know if this could be related to your issue or not, but it is worth mentioning.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Message 15 of 20 (862 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.