Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Mar 21, 2014
3:35:27 PM
View profile
UVerse in IP Passthrough (Bridge) handing out wrong DNS

So I just installed my own home firewall (Meraki Z1 actually) and converted my UVerse gateway to bridge mode (ip passthrough), however the UVerse gateway is still handing out (only on occasion) to my firewall the old LAN IP as a DNS server.

My LAN is say 10.1.100.0/24

And the UVerse gateway used to be 10.1.100.1

Now, my firewall is getting the correct IP information in bridge mode... but the UVerse gateway is handing it 10.1.100.1 as a DNS server ... which is then passed on to my clients. Messing things up since my new firewall is not a DNS server.

How can I get into the UVerse gateway now that it's in bridge mode? I've tried browsing to the address that is listed as the gateway on my router... and even plugged my PC directly into the gateway and tried browsing to the gateway address??

So I just installed my own home firewall (Meraki Z1 actually) and converted my UVerse gateway to bridge mode (ip passthrough), however the UVerse gateway is still handing out (only on occasion) to my firewall the old LAN IP as a DNS server.

My LAN is say 10.1.100.0/24

And the UVerse gateway used to be 10.1.100.1

Now, my firewall is getting the correct IP information in bridge mode... but the UVerse gateway is handing it 10.1.100.1 as a DNS server ... which is then passed on to my clients. Messing things up since my new firewall is not a DNS server.

How can I get into the UVerse gateway now that it's in bridge mode? I've tried browsing to the address that is listed as the gateway on my router... and even plugged my PC directly into the gateway and tried browsing to the gateway address??

UVerse in IP Passthrough (Bridge) handing out wrong DNS

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 7:40:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Mar 21, 2014 at 7:45:14 PM

The U-verse gateway is never truly in bridge mode.  You should set it up in a different subnet from the one your router is controlling, then you can get directly to it without changing cables.  As it is, you'll need to connect a PC directly to the RG.  Since you'll be on the same subnet, you probably won't need to renegotiate DHCP and can then connect directly to it at its IP address (which I guess is still 10.1.100.1) and use its management interface to change its LAN side address away from the one inside your router.

The U-verse gateway is never truly in bridge mode.  You should set it up in a different subnet from the one your router is controlling, then you can get directly to it without changing cables.  As it is, you'll need to connect a PC directly to the RG.  Since you'll be on the same subnet, you probably won't need to renegotiate DHCP and can then connect directly to it at its IP address (which I guess is still 10.1.100.1) and use its management interface to change its LAN side address away from the one inside your router.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: UVerse in IP Passthrough (Bridge) handing out wrong DNS

[ Edited ]
2 of 4 (562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 7:00:30 AM
(0)
Contributor
Yeah that doesn't seem to work. I wonder how you are supposed to access it (what address) when it is in bridge mode handing a public IP to the client. I suspect the old DHCP server information needs deleting maybe? Either way it seems like a bug...

Anyone know how to access the thing while in bridge mode?
Yeah that doesn't seem to work. I wonder how you are supposed to access it (what address) when it is in bridge mode handing a public IP to the client. I suspect the old DHCP server information needs deleting maybe? Either way it seems like a bug...

Anyone know how to access the thing while in bridge mode?

3 of 4 (543 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 8:05:03 AM
(0)
Employee
If did not change should be able to reach RG by 192.168.1.254.
If changed and do not recall changed to what then requires factory reset of RG.
If did not change should be able to reach RG by 192.168.1.254.
If changed and do not recall changed to what then requires factory reset of RG.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 4 (531 Views)