Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 23, 2013
8:43:06 PM
UV Realtime, Spotty Connection

I'm having some issues with my internet where it seems spotty.  I'm supposed to be on the 18 Mbps speed, and I'm finding myself getting around 14 Mbps, but other times the DL rate can dip as low as 1.5-2 Mbps.  I've been trying to analyze my UV Realtime results and I'm guessing that it might be a bridge tap issue base upon you data transfer above 6.900 MHz...

Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions, I'm tired of having my online games, disconnecting/reconnecting.

I'm having some issues with my internet where it seems spotty.  I'm supposed to be on the 18 Mbps speed, and I'm finding myself getting around 14 Mbps, but other times the DL rate can dip as low as 1.5-2 Mbps.  I've been trying to analyze my UV Realtime results and I'm guessing that it might be a bridge tap issue base upon you data transfer above 6.900 MHz...

Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions, I'm tired of having my online games, disconnecting/reconnecting.

UV Realtime, Spotty Connection

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 9:29:49 PM
(0)
Employee
The data is only for an hour, but everything looks good.
About 60 to 61M out of crossbox (44.8 max sync plus 1600 ft...1M every 100 ft lost)
Noise margin above 15, bit loading shows no tap (stepping is natural due to as loop length increase, lower bandwidth available.
Correct blocks 134...can be up to 100 per minute..collected data for 70 minutes so way less than 7000 max errors corrected allowed.

Are you wireless or hardwired?
Wireless maybe having interference issues in environment that would not necessarily affect RG but could you connection to devices.

Gather more data for a longer time period and post again...perhaps something will show later.
The data is only for an hour, but everything looks good.
About 60 to 61M out of crossbox (44.8 max sync plus 1600 ft...1M every 100 ft lost)
Noise margin above 15, bit loading shows no tap (stepping is natural due to as loop length increase, lower bandwidth available.
Correct blocks 134...can be up to 100 per minute..collected data for 70 minutes so way less than 7000 max errors corrected allowed.

Are you wireless or hardwired?
Wireless maybe having interference issues in environment that would not necessarily affect RG but could you connection to devices.

Gather more data for a longer time period and post again...perhaps something will show later.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: UV Realtime, Spotty Connection

2 of 12 (661 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2013 7:53:00 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for looking at it.  I'll run it tonight and see if I can replicate the issues while UV Realtime is running and post the results.

Also, when I called tech support the initial 'Automated Diagnostic Test' very quickly indicated that there was a problem and a tech would be sent out to resolve it.  Is there something that the automated testing would pick up but UV Realtime would not?

Also, I predominately run wirelessly, and I sit in the same room about 8' from the Gateway/Access Point.  I can also try and run some tests wired when I notice that I'm having issues.

Thanks for looking at it.  I'll run it tonight and see if I can replicate the issues while UV Realtime is running and post the results.

Also, when I called tech support the initial 'Automated Diagnostic Test' very quickly indicated that there was a problem and a tech would be sent out to resolve it.  Is there something that the automated testing would pick up but UV Realtime would not?

Also, I predominately run wirelessly, and I sit in the same room about 8' from the Gateway/Access Point.  I can also try and run some tests wired when I notice that I'm having issues.

3 of 12 (635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2013 8:08:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

You can try downloading inSSIDer here.  Run it and then set the channel on your AT&T router to the least congested channel.  Test again and see what behavior you get.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

You can try downloading inSSIDer here.  Run it and then set the channel on your AT&T router to the least congested channel.  Test again and see what behavior you get.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 12 (627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2013 8:25:28 AM
(0)
Employee
The auto test i suspect was before the RG was reset...
This could be a log of errors collected over a period, or something flagged as red in testing.
Uvrealtime is very good in what it does, however the testing and historical data available in uverse is much larger.
Uvreaime is only looking at what info is gathered and reported at RG...uverse personnel have ability to run larger battery of tests and from more than just RG location
The auto test i suspect was before the RG was reset...
This could be a log of errors collected over a period, or something flagged as red in testing.
Uvrealtime is very good in what it does, however the testing and historical data available in uverse is much larger.
Uvreaime is only looking at what info is gathered and reported at RG...uverse personnel have ability to run larger battery of tests and from more than just RG location
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 12 (620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2013 6:22:46 AM
(0)
Tutor

Also, I noticed last night while recording a channel on another box, watching a recorded show on a different box, and the football game on the live box, apparently, the one watching the recorded show had a few 'interruptions.'  It even gave some sort of message about 'Poor signal.'  The peculiar thing is that this box was not one of the wireless ones. 

@my thoughts: After running UV Realtime I noticed in the last 24 hours I had about 150,000 Corrected Blocks.  That ended up putting me right at or just above the 100 blocks per minute averaged throughout the day...  Is that correction for the whole gateway, or just the device that is running UV Realtime?  If it's just my device, then it is very likely that it could be the result of Wi-Fi interference, as there appears to be a fair amount of wireless networks in my neighborhood.

@BeeBee SA:  Thanks for the inSSIDer suggestion.  I currently was running on channel 1 and with the number of Wi-Fi networks in my area, it's going to be difficult to find one without any overlap.  Currently the other networks on/near my channel have a very poor signal (farther away) so it may be my best bet.  I'll try each of the channels tonight and try and get to the one with the best rating.

Also, I noticed last night while recording a channel on another box, watching a recorded show on a different box, and the football game on the live box, apparently, the one watching the recorded show had a few 'interruptions.'  It even gave some sort of message about 'Poor signal.'  The peculiar thing is that this box was not one of the wireless ones. 

@my thoughts: After running UV Realtime I noticed in the last 24 hours I had about 150,000 Corrected Blocks.  That ended up putting me right at or just above the 100 blocks per minute averaged throughout the day...  Is that correction for the whole gateway, or just the device that is running UV Realtime?  If it's just my device, then it is very likely that it could be the result of Wi-Fi interference, as there appears to be a fair amount of wireless networks in my neighborhood.

@BeeBee SA:  Thanks for the inSSIDer suggestion.  I currently was running on channel 1 and with the number of Wi-Fi networks in my area, it's going to be difficult to find one without any overlap.  Currently the other networks on/near my channel have a very poor signal (farther away) so it may be my best bet.  I'll try each of the channels tonight and try and get to the one with the best rating.

6 of 12 (562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2013 12:55:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

@theselected....When you run inSSIDer look at the box to the right top of the screen and it will show your AT&T Router.  It will list the "co channels" or the number of wireless users that are on the same channel competing with yours.  I'm on channel 8 and the "co channels" on mine says "0".  Overlapping shows 4.  The main thing you want to have at "0" is the "co channels".

@theselected....When you run inSSIDer look at the box to the right top of the screen and it will show your AT&T Router.  It will list the "co channels" or the number of wireless users that are on the same channel competing with yours.  I'm on channel 8 and the "co channels" on mine says "0".  Overlapping shows 4.  The main thing you want to have at "0" is the "co channels".

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 12 (534 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2013 5:19:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

TheSelected wrote:

The "corrected blocks" count is the number of blocks received by the RG from the VRAD which had errors that could be corrected and thus no IP packets were lost.  Thus it is not a measure of signal quality to any one device.

So, how is your DVR connected to the RG?  Coax or twisted pair cable?  Maybe that is where your issue is.

WiFi signals are at a frequency above those used by U-verse and don't normally interfere with the base service, only with the WiFi aspects.  Note also that the WAP for the wireless receivers operates at 5 GHz, different from the frequency range used by 802.11a/b/g and a lot of 802.11n routers (those not marked dual band).

TheSelected wrote:

The "corrected blocks" count is the number of blocks received by the RG from the VRAD which had errors that could be corrected and thus no IP packets were lost.  Thus it is not a measure of signal quality to any one device.

So, how is your DVR connected to the RG?  Coax or twisted pair cable?  Maybe that is where your issue is.

WiFi signals are at a frequency above those used by U-verse and don't normally interfere with the base service, only with the WiFi aspects.  Note also that the WAP for the wireless receivers operates at 5 GHz, different from the frequency range used by 802.11a/b/g and a lot of 802.11n routers (those not marked dual band).

8 of 12 (506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2013 6:15:40 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by TheSelected on Sep 27, 2013 at 6:22:04 PM

Here are the results from inSSIDer.  I was running initally on channel 1.  Also, in the instructions it says to go with the one with the highest link score... That channel 1 has 8 co-channels, but the higest link score?

ChannelCo-ChannelOverlappingSignal (dBm)Link Score
185-5329
2011-5315
3110-5313
4110-5114
5013-5112
677-5122
7016-5010
8415-518
9120-518
1048-5115
11210-5123

Oh and here my Speedtest Results  I'm supposed to be on Max Plus, which should net 18 Mbps download

Here are the results from inSSIDer.  I was running initally on channel 1.  Also, in the instructions it says to go with the one with the highest link score... That channel 1 has 8 co-channels, but the higest link score?

ChannelCo-ChannelOverlappingSignal (dBm)Link Score
185-5329
2011-5315
3110-5313
4110-5114
5013-5112
677-5122
7016-5010
8415-518
9120-518
1048-5115
11210-5123

Oh and here my Speedtest Results  I'm supposed to be on Max Plus, which should net 18 Mbps download

[ Edited ]
9 of 12 (495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2013 5:15:17 AM
(0)
Tutor
@JefferMC The DVR that was giving the poor signal is connected via Coax. (Also the RG is connected via Coax as well.)
@JefferMC The DVR that was giving the poor signal is connected via Coax. (Also the RG is connected via Coax as well.)

10 of 12 (457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2013 6:06:29 AM
(0)
Employee
If most of your activities are in the same room 8 feet with 20 plus other units (crowded) best maybe to buy 25 foot Ethernet cable run along side of wall(s) to where you sit and be hardwired 90% of time. If your speeds are consistent hardwired this would be best solution.
As wireless signal is a bell curve, main channel plus two on either side, best to use 1, 6, 11 as these do not compete against each other, issue is when people trying using in between channels.
Example ch 1, 1-3, ch 6, 4-8 and ch 11 is 9-11. If a person sets for ch 4 using 2-6 so getting interference from devices on ch 1 and ch 6.
Additional microwaves transmit in lower channels so recommend higher 11.

http://gizmodo.com/5936365/five-free-ways-to-boost-your-wi+fi-signal

Additionally you could purchase an N router (5ghz), set up in bridge mode. As this is currently less crowded than 2.4 ghz and generally offers higher output power may temporary solve your issue till everybody else does the same. More expensive than cable purchase but allows more freedom of movement.
If most of your activities are in the same room 8 feet with 20 plus other units (crowded) best maybe to buy 25 foot Ethernet cable run along side of wall(s) to where you sit and be hardwired 90% of time. If your speeds are consistent hardwired this would be best solution.
As wireless signal is a bell curve, main channel plus two on either side, best to use 1, 6, 11 as these do not compete against each other, issue is when people trying using in between channels.
Example ch 1, 1-3, ch 6, 4-8 and ch 11 is 9-11. If a person sets for ch 4 using 2-6 so getting interference from devices on ch 1 and ch 6.
Additional microwaves transmit in lower channels so recommend higher 11.

http://gizmodo.com/5936365/five-free-ways-to-boost-your-wi+fi-signal

Additionally you could purchase an N router (5ghz), set up in bridge mode. As this is currently less crowded than 2.4 ghz and generally offers higher output power may temporary solve your issue till everybody else does the same. More expensive than cable purchase but allows more freedom of movement.

11 of 12 (447 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2013 7:44:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

TheSelected wrote:

Suggest you run the Coax/HPNA test on the RG (which disrupts usage, btw) then capture the UVrealtime tab for it and lets have a look.

Have you "tweaked" the coax in any way since the installer finished?

TheSelected wrote:

Suggest you run the Coax/HPNA test on the RG (which disrupts usage, btw) then capture the UVrealtime tab for it and lets have a look.

Have you "tweaked" the coax in any way since the installer finished?

12 of 12 (436 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments