Posted Oct 31, 2012
10:47:20 AM
U-verse wireless boxes affecting modem bandwidth

We switched over from DirecTV to U-verse this Monday.  Installer was great and really have enjoyed the new channels and picture quality.  Only problem is that my cell phone (different carrier - who has good coverage all over town except about 100 yards around my house) has to be run through the WiFi for service.

The U-verse installer installed two wireless boxes during the installation.  Ever since the installation my cell phone is getting kicked off of the WiFi and trying to find normal service which is causing intermittent service and dropped calls.  When I called my cell provider they ran through diagnostics on phone and settings and could not find anything wrong.  Then they asked me if I had added any new devices to my WiFi setup and I mentioned the wireless boxes and they said that it sounds like due to added bandwidth usage from the wireless boxes I have limited bandwidth left and it is causing my cell to drop off and that I should contact my internet service.

Does this make sense and if so what can I do up my bandwidth so that cell works again???

Thanks

We switched over from DirecTV to U-verse this Monday.  Installer was great and really have enjoyed the new channels and picture quality.  Only problem is that my cell phone (different carrier - who has good coverage all over town except about 100 yards around my house) has to be run through the WiFi for service.

The U-verse installer installed two wireless boxes during the installation.  Ever since the installation my cell phone is getting kicked off of the WiFi and trying to find normal service which is causing intermittent service and dropped calls.  When I called my cell provider they ran through diagnostics on phone and settings and could not find anything wrong.  Then they asked me if I had added any new devices to my WiFi setup and I mentioned the wireless boxes and they said that it sounds like due to added bandwidth usage from the wireless boxes I have limited bandwidth left and it is causing my cell to drop off and that I should contact my internet service.

Does this make sense and if so what can I do up my bandwidth so that cell works again???

Thanks

U-verse wireless boxes affecting modem bandwidth

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2012 10:58:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Well, maybe.  In order to advise you, could you clear up the following questions:

• Are you talking about WiFi data access or Cellular voice access via a MicroCell (aka a home Cell Tower)?
  • Did you just get U-verse High Speed Internet (HSI) Monday as well, or did you already have it?
  • What are you using as a Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router?
  • What frequency does your cell phone use for WiFi access?  Is it 802.11N complaint at 5 MHz, or 802.11G/802.11N at the 2.4 MHz frequency channel range?

Well, maybe.  In order to advise you, could you clear up the following questions:

• Are you talking about WiFi data access or Cellular voice access via a MicroCell (aka a home Cell Tower)?
  • Did you just get U-verse High Speed Internet (HSI) Monday as well, or did you already have it?
  • What are you using as a Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router?
  • What frequency does your cell phone use for WiFi access?  Is it 802.11N complaint at 5 MHz, or 802.11G/802.11N at the 2.4 MHz frequency channel range?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: U-verse wireless boxes affecting modem bandwidth

2 of 6 (2,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2012 12:16:45 PM
(0)
Tutor

• Are you talking about WiFi data access or Cellular voice access via a MicroCell (aka a home Cell Tower)? WiFi data access using a Blackberry Bold 9700 WiFi option.
  • Did you just get U-verse High Speed Internet (HSI) Monday as well, or did you already have it?  Have had U-verse High Speed Internet for 1 year +.  12 GB.
  • What are you using as a Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router?  Using the wireless router provided by AT&T (2 Wire Gateway model i38HG - on Monday AT&T added an AT&T U-verse wireless access point (Cisco model VEN401-AT) for the wireless receivers.
  • What frequency does your cell phone use for WiFi access?  Is it 802.11N complaint at 5 MHz, or 802.11G/802.11N at the 2.4 MHz frequency channel range?  I see under WiFi network type in phone menu TYPE:  802.11b/g - I am not sure if that answers your question or not - I am using a Blackberry Bold 9700 if that helps

• Are you talking about WiFi data access or Cellular voice access via a MicroCell (aka a home Cell Tower)? WiFi data access using a Blackberry Bold 9700 WiFi option.
  • Did you just get U-verse High Speed Internet (HSI) Monday as well, or did you already have it?  Have had U-verse High Speed Internet for 1 year +.  12 GB.
  • What are you using as a Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router?  Using the wireless router provided by AT&T (2 Wire Gateway model i38HG - on Monday AT&T added an AT&T U-verse wireless access point (Cisco model VEN401-AT) for the wireless receivers.
  • What frequency does your cell phone use for WiFi access?  Is it 802.11N complaint at 5 MHz, or 802.11G/802.11N at the 2.4 MHz frequency channel range?  I see under WiFi network type in phone menu TYPE:  802.11b/g - I am not sure if that answers your question or not - I am using a Blackberry Bold 9700 if that helps

3 of 6 (2,243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2012 12:33:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

The new Wireless Access Point for use with your wireless STB operates at 5 MHz and should in no way interfere with your 2.4 MHz 802.11b/g wireless network used by the i38HG and the Blackberry.

I suppose if you want to test this theory, unplug the wireless STB's and unplug the new Access Point and see what happens.  If it makes a difference, then AT&T apparently has some defective gear going out.

The new Wireless Access Point for use with your wireless STB operates at 5 MHz and should in no way interfere with your 2.4 MHz 802.11b/g wireless network used by the i38HG and the Blackberry.

I suppose if you want to test this theory, unplug the wireless STB's and unplug the new Access Point and see what happens.  If it makes a difference, then AT&T apparently has some defective gear going out.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (2,231 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2014 10:55:06 AM
(0)
Contributor
I was having terrible wireless internet connectivity speeds with all wireless devices (even dropped connection). Ookla speed test repeatedly showed download speeds of 4 Mbps or less ( I pay for 12).
I unplugged all set top boxes (2 wireless, 3 standard) and ran the test again, lo and behold 12mbps on a consistent basis!
I was having terrible wireless internet connectivity speeds with all wireless devices (even dropped connection). Ookla speed test repeatedly showed download speeds of 4 Mbps or less ( I pay for 12).
I unplugged all set top boxes (2 wireless, 3 standard) and ran the test again, lo and behold 12mbps on a consistent basis!

5 of 6 (639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2014 11:05:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
XtcpnkcX - Sounds like you may have a router or switch on one of the outputs from the RG that has both video and internet devices on the line. Rearrange your wiring such that you have only TV or internet on a switch/router.
XtcpnkcX - Sounds like you may have a router or switch on one of the outputs from the RG that has both video and internet devices on the line. Rearrange your wiring such that you have only TV or internet on a switch/router.

6 of 6 (635 Views)