U-verse vs Xfinity picture quality

Visitor

U-verse vs Xfinity picture quality

I am new to the forum, so forgive me if this has been answered recently. I have read many posts regarding u-verse picture quality, especially HD. I have Xfinity now and am scheduled to have u-verse installed next week.

Can someone give me their recent experience with u-verse HD picture quality? If it helps, I am right across the street from the v-rad and have signed up for 45MBPS Internet speed. I have a 720P panasonic plasma and love the HD content from Xfinity. 

I don't want to make the switch if the HD picture quality will be worse than I have now.

Message 1 of 12 (5,544 Views)
Employee

Re: U-verse vs Xfinity picture quality

Quality has improved with time (how old are posts?), how many TVs, could see if tech could install RG and DVR on seperate cable (cat5 to RG required, Ethernet RG to DVR) run both for a week and decide which to keep. Uverse has a 30 day policy can cancel without termination fee required to take all equipment to a UPS store to return.

As many things are subjective, how fed, cable (coax, AV, component, hdmi) settings on tv (yes you can optimise your tv for preferred picture) it is best to many your own judgement call here.

Many I have installed say way better than Time Warner, some even better than satellite provider, perhaps quality of line has more influence than service received. Let us know what you think, thanks for posting.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 12 (5,539 Views)
ACE - Expert

hoochatl - Only you can decide. Can you do a duplicate install & do a direct compare?
I have compared U-verse to OTA. Am few times & found them to be the same.
Lately, I have seen some awesome sharp natural pictures with a slight glow. Most of these were ads or remotes on the news.
One day I decided to compare a football game - same game - same network - different channel. One was OK & the other great.

From my perspective, U-verse will deliver as good a picture as it receives. Quality will vary by what is provided.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 12 (5,537 Views)
Expert

You can have the AT&T tech leave Xfinity installed when you get Uverse and you can do a side by side comparison.  I also have looked at OTA and at the Uverse HD, and there is no difference.  AT&Ts HD quality has improved greatly.  I think you will be happy.

But if you ever have any questions comments or concerns feel free to post here in the forum.  There are many people who are ready willing and able to offer you info in the form of suggestions, resources, and solutions.

Message 4 of 12 (5,533 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had both and the picture quality is about the same however Xfinity is far more reliable.  I am really sorry that I switched.   We lose the signal often and you have to keep resetting.   The customer service is an issue also.   You get conflicting information about fixing problems.   I switched because of the price increase at Xfinity so I guess you get what you pay for.   The internet works great and I have had no problems with speed or downtime with it just the TV

Message 5 of 12 (5,268 Views)
ACE - Professor

Meanwhile, I hardly ever lose signal. Maybe I reset once a month at most. When I do have an issue, they're usually out within 48-72 hours and the issue is fixed.

If someone has an issue, the problem is most likely on the customer end.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 12 (5,259 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

ntstar4 - There is no reason not to have perfect service 363 days a year. Leaving two days to fix any problems you report. If your local folks have not been able to fix yours, escalate to customer care by sending PM using this link - http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

Message 7 of 12 (5,252 Views)
Contributor

I was wondering if there has been any updates on this topic.  The U-Verse tech just left an hour or so ago after installing my service.  My only complaint is that U-Verse HD is noticeably softer/less detailed a picture than Comcast was.  I'd like to keep U-Verse due to cost but I feel like I'm not watching HD any longer, in some ways.  Even though it is HD.  The tech said the signal was strong...  I tried adjusting things on the TV's themselves (I have two HD Tv's), and that didn't seem to really help.  I notice it most in faces - there is a good deal less detail in the faces on U-Verse than there was on Comcast.  Any recommendations?

Message 8 of 12 (4,318 Views)
ACE - Expert

mt2233 - When you have a problem it always pays to double check everything.

You are connected HDMI or component??

Your aspect setting under options matches your native resolution on the TV??

You definitely can make a difference with TV adjustments. It may take a few times to get what you like. One setting is sharpness - You want more detail so you want more sharpness?? right?? It does not seem to work that way. Try lesser settings. Brightness/contrast & color can have a big impact on the "flatness" of faces.

Quality of channels do vary. Even quality of programs. I believe, there is more variation with HDMI than component. That is HDMI requires high quality at each step from the original camera to the TV screen. Component is more forgiving or more consistent. I see the best pictures (sharpest faces) on ads and handheld remote cameras on news programs.

I hope you have a channel that you feel is providing a good picture to do your tuning with.
Message 9 of 12 (4,306 Views)
Scholar

My brother switched to U-Verse from Cox cable and at first did not like the picture. He then realized that his STBs were set for 720p. He changed them to 1080i and now he loves the picture. 

Message 10 of 12 (4,285 Views)
Scholar

When I switched to U-Verse from TWC a few years backed I thought the same thing. A couple of days ago a helped a friend who has TWC hook up a new LED tv. I wasn't all that impressed with the picture. Go figure.

Message 11 of 12 (4,283 Views)
Scholar

Thats odd he likes the picture better set on 1080i. i=interlace and interlace images show more motion blur and blurry images then 720p in my experience. To each his own I guess 

Message 12 of 12 (4,190 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.