U-verse newbie questions

Contributor

U-verse newbie questions

I’ve just got U-verse TV and internet for 2 days. I have many questions regarding both. Please help me because I’m very confused and I couldn’t find the answers by google-ing.

1/ (Since the technicians installing U-verse at my house refused to use the coax wiring) & the RG only has 4 ports, does that mean I can only have at most 4 (TV outlets + Ethernet sockets) because they all need to be connected to the RG to function?

Currently I have 2 TV installed (1 DVR and 1 WAP/wireless receiver pair). I also have 2 Ethernet sockets in the house, so that’s all 4 connections to 4 ports of the RG. My question is: I need to setup more TVs, will that be impossible?

2/ For TV, can 1 WAP serve 2 wireless receivers for watching different channels? Or each wireless receiver needs its own WAP?

3/ How far away can the wireless receiver be from the WAP? If the WAP is downstairs, the wireless receiver is upstairs, will that work too?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Message 1 of 7 (528 Views)
Employee

Re: U-verse newbie questions

Welcome, and congrats on your install, a tech can use existing coax some prefer not to, others take the easy way out and install WAP to save time (if you ordered a wireless receiver this is hot the case)
Normal two box install with no hardware PC is to install cat home run from NID to RG, RG location next to DVR location. Using pre made Ethernet cable (normal 6 foot) to DVR, and 4 ft Ethernet cable to WAP (sound familiar).
The WAP can support two wireless set top boxes, so you can add 1 more TV by ordering an additional unit that would be shipped to you for a self install. Additional TVs would need their own STB connected by Ethernet (need to purchase a 4 or 8 port switch...do not mix/match devices) or coax from RG to coax splitter to TV location.
Please note that uverse only allows one splitter not multiple as seen in some cable installs.
If hardwired install for additional TVs would require another tech visit and would be billable if new wiring is needed since original install is completed.
Distance between WAP and receiver is more determined by path of signal, straight line of sight ...no walls or appliances 100 feet, have to go thru two sets of floors, walls, refrigerator not so good. Place receiver, plug in and see how many bars displayed, the WAP does not have to set next to RG, can run a cat cable 25-50 from RG if this would provide better signal.
Finally how many more TVs and frequency of use, if TV in garage used occasionally just take a wireless receiver into garage and return when done, why...causes you can, each additional set top box (wired or wireless) is $7/month. Use your resources wisely, best to you and hope this leads to a very satisfied experience.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 7 (511 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

Others will correct me if I'm wrong but here goes:

You only need one WAP to service 2 STBs.  It will be placed by the RG  (modem).  You don't need a WAP for each wireless box. Your modem provides wireless internet.   At least that's how mine is set up.

My WAP is on one side of the house and it services the TV in the family room on the other side of the house.  I cannot comment on a multi-level situation but, again, I'm sure others will.

The TV limitation comes into play with the number of "streams".  You have a maximum of 4 streams which can be either HD/SD/combination of both.  You can have more than 4 TVs but it would mean that 2 TVs would either be watching the same channel or one would be watching a recording from the DVR.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7 (510 Views)
Contributor

Thanks a lot!! Can I ask 2 more questions?

Does using the DVR directly give you more controls to record/set schedule/(other things I don’t know of yet)… or you can do exactly all same things @ any receiver?

The technicians set up the DVR upstairs and the WAP downstairs. If I want to swap their locations, would it be just as easy as unplugging and plugging cables or the technician might have somehow “programmed” where the DVR’s location/port was.

Message 4 of 7 (440 Views)

midnightman wrote:

Does using the DVR directly give you more controls to record/set schedule/(other things I don’t know of yet)… or you can do exactly all same things @ any receiver?

The technicians set up the DVR upstairs and the WAP downstairs. If I want to swap their locations, would it be just as easy as unplugging and plugging cables or the technician might have somehow “programmed” where the DVR’s location/port was.

You can do all functions from any tv, not just the DVR.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 5 of 7 (434 Views)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

midnightman wrote:

You can do all functions from any tv, not just the DVR.

And midnightman, therein lies the beauty of the whole house DVR!  Enjoy!  Welcome! Don't be a stranger on the forums.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 7 (431 Views)
Highlighted
Employee

For question 2 answer is yes, both devices on Ethernet can move locations (swap) without affecting services. Both units are plugged into yellow ports of RG (up or downstairs?), where is the wireless receiver and for what purpose (benefit) would moving the units have.

As already mentioned all DVD functions (record/play/pause) is available from any set top box with any uverse remote...I know great isn't it. Enjoy your new services.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 7 (408 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.