Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 3, 2013
1:03:33 PM
View profile
U-verse lack of new features . . .

It seems like there was a point where I felt like U-Verse was light years ahead of Time Warner in features.  While Time Warner's boxes are extremely slow to navigate channels, etc . . . Time Warner does allow their customers to watch select channels on their tablets with an app. 

Where is this functionality for U-Verse?  Before someone says, "Have you heard of Slingbox . . . " - yes.  In my opinion, this is long overdue, as well as being able to watch your own DVR recording from any of your devices.

So . . . I get excited everytime a new app update comes out, but it almost always "bug fixes" and nothing new as fat as functionality goes.

What's the deal?

It seems like there was a point where I felt like U-Verse was light years ahead of Time Warner in features.  While Time Warner's boxes are extremely slow to navigate channels, etc . . . Time Warner does allow their customers to watch select channels on their tablets with an app. 

Where is this functionality for U-Verse?  Before someone says, "Have you heard of Slingbox . . . " - yes.  In my opinion, this is long overdue, as well as being able to watch your own DVR recording from any of your devices.

So . . . I get excited everytime a new app update comes out, but it almost always "bug fixes" and nothing new as fat as functionality goes.

What's the deal?

U-verse lack of new features . . .

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2013 1:59:23 PM
(0)
Scholar
Time Warner has no Showtime or CBS, so I don't care if they allow you to watch channels on the moon. Bump 'em.
Time Warner has no Showtime or CBS, so I don't care if they allow you to watch channels on the moon. Bump 'em.

Re: U-verse lack of new features . . .

2 of 14 (862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2013 2:14:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

codycooper864 wrote:

Deal was signed today bringing those channels back.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

codycooper864 wrote:

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 14 (857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2013 2:44:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by skeeterintexas on Sep 3, 2013 at 2:46:08 PM

oufanindallas wrote:

codycooper864 wrote:

Actually, TW resumed broadcasting CBS on Monday evening (9/2) around 5:00pm CST.

oufanindallas wrote:

codycooper864 wrote:

Actually, TW resumed broadcasting CBS on Monday evening (9/2) around 5:00pm CST.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 14 (842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2013 7:08:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by baseballisback on Sep 3, 2013 at 7:08:50 PM

I agree. AT&T needs a single app for all their channels. I have a Showtime app, a CNN app, a ESPN app, a Cinemax app, an HBO app, and probably a partridge in a pear tree.

I can access my DVR via the U-Verse app. Why can't I watch TV via the same one? Maybe someday, the channels will allow it to be so...I'm sure they'd rather want us all downloading their own apps...sigh.

I agree. AT&T needs a single app for all their channels. I have a Showtime app, a CNN app, a ESPN app, a Cinemax app, an HBO app, and probably a partridge in a pear tree.

I can access my DVR via the U-Verse app. Why can't I watch TV via the same one? Maybe someday, the channels will allow it to be so...I'm sure they'd rather want us all downloading their own apps...sigh.

[ Edited ]
5 of 14 (775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 6:02:05 AM
(0)
Scholar

Uverse does have a mobile app that you can access  many programs on line.  Also a lot of the channels have their own mobile app.  All premium channels do and a lot of sports channels do also.  So I do not understand what it is you want to see that Time Warner has that Uverse does not.

Uverse does have a mobile app that you can access  many programs on line.  Also a lot of the channels have their own mobile app.  All premium channels do and a lot of sports channels do also.  So I do not understand what it is you want to see that Time Warner has that Uverse does not.

6 of 14 (731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 7:50:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by baseballisback on Sep 4, 2013 at 7:51:08 AM

db821arc wrote:

I may have to try that mobile app. What I want to see is an app with a list of watchable channels. "Click here for HBOGO. Click here for MaxGO. Click here for CNN." and so on and so forth. It's like when I turn on my TV...I don't get a list of programs, I get a list of channels.

db821arc wrote:

I may have to try that mobile app. What I want to see is an app with a list of watchable channels. "Click here for HBOGO. Click here for MaxGO. Click here for CNN." and so on and so forth. It's like when I turn on my TV...I don't get a list of programs, I get a list of channels.

[ Edited ]
7 of 14 (715 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 10:20:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

swa201 wrote:

What's the deal?

You bring up at least a couple different points.  1) U-Verse development has slowed and 2) remote access of your DVR.

1. UV has slowed their "Forward progress."  They used to be cutting edge but many have caught up.  There are many areas that need immediate attention, IMO.  The GUI.  The Search function.  The Guide Provider (AT&T uses the worst in many forum regular's eyes).  Poor speed (AT&T used to have the fastest channel changes and VOD access - no more).

2. Remote viewing access: Dish with the Hopper and Sling Technology seems the best at remote DVR viewing.  Thaey have that technology locked down.  When AT&T unveiled the uverseonline website it was touted that you could watch programs from your DVR.  Some AT&T fan types will quabble over the wording BUT it really sounded to a lot of folks (myself included, initially) that you could watch from your DVR.   Of course it really meant that if your DVR had a certain episode of Bones and the uvonline website had that same episode, you could watch it online and then erase it from your DVR, via the WRA.  That wording, to me, is purposefully misleading.  In fact, somewhere in the WRA there still is a link that says "Access your DVR."  And again, most have differing views from AT&T what the word "accessing" means.  "Manage your DVR" would be a better choice of words, IMO but that wording doesn't sell bundles and subscriptions.  As far as individual channel Apps and an "all in one" - ESPN would not want to share an app with Showtime, HBO and so on.

swa201 wrote:

What's the deal?

You bring up at least a couple different points.  1) U-Verse development has slowed and 2) remote access of your DVR.

1. UV has slowed their "Forward progress."  They used to be cutting edge but many have caught up.  There are many areas that need immediate attention, IMO.  The GUI.  The Search function.  The Guide Provider (AT&T uses the worst in many forum regular's eyes).  Poor speed (AT&T used to have the fastest channel changes and VOD access - no more).

2. Remote viewing access: Dish with the Hopper and Sling Technology seems the best at remote DVR viewing.  Thaey have that technology locked down.  When AT&T unveiled the uverseonline website it was touted that you could watch programs from your DVR.  Some AT&T fan types will quabble over the wording BUT it really sounded to a lot of folks (myself included, initially) that you could watch from your DVR.   Of course it really meant that if your DVR had a certain episode of Bones and the uvonline website had that same episode, you could watch it online and then erase it from your DVR, via the WRA.  That wording, to me, is purposefully misleading.  In fact, somewhere in the WRA there still is a link that says "Access your DVR."  And again, most have differing views from AT&T what the word "accessing" means.  "Manage your DVR" would be a better choice of words, IMO but that wording doesn't sell bundles and subscriptions.  As far as individual channel Apps and an "all in one" - ESPN would not want to share an app with Showtime, HBO and so on.

8 of 14 (696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 10:30:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by oufanindallas on Sep 4, 2013 at 10:31:11 AM

dhascall wrote:

swa201 wrote:

What's the deal?

That doesn't stop you from getting a sling box and hooking it up to your UVerse. I have one and love it, love it, love it.  The PC app is free to install and $15 for mobile devices.  Since Dish owns Slingbox, that is the only way you will get one.  I seriously doubt AT&T will ever have it unless they come up with their own version.

dhascall wrote:

swa201 wrote:

What's the deal?

That doesn't stop you from getting a sling box and hooking it up to your UVerse. I have one and love it, love it, love it.  The PC app is free to install and $15 for mobile devices.  Since Dish owns Slingbox, that is the only way you will get one.  I seriously doubt AT&T will ever have it unless they come up with their own version.

[ Edited ]
9 of 14 (684 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 10:52:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

oufanindallas wrote:

And make it in such a way that it doesn't interfere with their patents.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

oufanindallas wrote:

And make it in such a way that it doesn't interfere with their patents.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

10 of 14 (674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 11:04:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

dhascall wrote:

swa201 wrote:

What's the deal?

Of course it doesn't but not everyone is as Tech savvy as you and I and I'm not sure if I could set it up without asking you, how lol.

I asked in another thread if one could get a TV capoture card, IR blaster and some cloud / rebroadcaster service and do a poor man's slingbox.  BUT I would prefer if AT&T do all the backend stuff and just do it for us. Smiley LOL

oufanindallas wrote:

dhascall wrote:

swa201 wrote:

What's the deal?

Of course it doesn't but not everyone is as Tech savvy as you and I and I'm not sure if I could set it up without asking you, how lol.

I asked in another thread if one could get a TV capoture card, IR blaster and some cloud / rebroadcaster service and do a poor man's slingbox.  BUT I would prefer if AT&T do all the backend stuff and just do it for us. Smiley LOL

11 of 14 (663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 3:00:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I asked in another thread if one could get a TV capoture card, IR blaster and some cloud / rebroadcaster service and do a poor man's slingbox.  BUT I would prefer if AT&T do all the backend stuff and just do it for us. :smileylol:

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Was actually pretty easy to set up and the instructions that come with the box are super simple.  

I asked in another thread if one could get a TV capoture card, IR blaster and some cloud / rebroadcaster service and do a poor man's slingbox.  BUT I would prefer if AT&T do all the backend stuff and just do it for us. :smileylol:

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Was actually pretty easy to set up and the instructions that come with the box are super simple.  

12 of 14 (628 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 6:16:51 AM
(0)
Scholar

The OPs main point is still well taken - UVerse once had a giant lead on TWC in terms of function, channels, service and price. The decision to jump 4 years ago was an easy one. Now, TWC has whole house DVR, has surpassed on channels (at least the ones I care about) and their new customer price will match AT*T's retention price. The TWC watch live app works very well and essentially gives you the equivalent of the Uverse wireless receiver on a tablet if you're happy watching TV on an iPhone.

AT*T seems content to compete on price and given the hassle of switching, it might be the right strategy for them. Personally, I'd prefer continued innovation and for AT*T to be a bit more competitive on channels (e.g. hockey, subchannels etc..). 

The OPs main point is still well taken - UVerse once had a giant lead on TWC in terms of function, channels, service and price. The decision to jump 4 years ago was an easy one. Now, TWC has whole house DVR, has surpassed on channels (at least the ones I care about) and their new customer price will match AT*T's retention price. The TWC watch live app works very well and essentially gives you the equivalent of the Uverse wireless receiver on a tablet if you're happy watching TV on an iPhone.

AT*T seems content to compete on price and given the hassle of switching, it might be the right strategy for them. Personally, I'd prefer continued innovation and for AT*T to be a bit more competitive on channels (e.g. hockey, subchannels etc..). 

13 of 14 (560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 7:03:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Sep 5, 2013 at 7:05:50 AM

marcindublin wrote:

I do agree that UV has slipped a little in the innovation department.  I still LOVE the product but (like the Focus group commercial says) I want more, more, more!  Being able to access my DVR through a PC, phone or tablet would be HUGE.  Again, I would prefer it to be done through AT&T.

Now the dev. slowdown MIGHT have something to do with them supposedly increasing streams.  I could see where that would tie up development personnel, testbeds and whatnot.  BUT I would like for someone to throw me a bone and let me know, what they are working on, if anything.

TWC isn't available where I live but I pay for my dad and step mom to get TWC cable at their place in NC.  They have the most basic cable, so I can't vouch for their other offerings but CS sure seems like a hit or miss proposition.  That in itself is bad as I pretty much like AT&T CS. 

marcindublin wrote:

I do agree that UV has slipped a little in the innovation department.  I still LOVE the product but (like the Focus group commercial says) I want more, more, more!  Being able to access my DVR through a PC, phone or tablet would be HUGE.  Again, I would prefer it to be done through AT&T.

Now the dev. slowdown MIGHT have something to do with them supposedly increasing streams.  I could see where that would tie up development personnel, testbeds and whatnot.  BUT I would like for someone to throw me a bone and let me know, what they are working on, if anything.

TWC isn't available where I live but I pay for my dad and step mom to get TWC cable at their place in NC.  They have the most basic cable, so I can't vouch for their other offerings but CS sure seems like a hit or miss proposition.  That in itself is bad as I pretty much like AT&T CS. 

[ Edited ]
14 of 14 (546 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments