Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 17, 2013
7:50:41 PM
View profile
U-verse internet suddenly slow

I have the U-verse 12mbps download speed plan. For the past week my internet has been extremely slow. I have never had a speed issue and would always get around 11mbps down and 1.5 mbps up with a 90ms ping on speed tests. However, for the past week my internet has been around 1.5mbps down and no more than 1mbps up. Ping has stayed the same. I don't understand. I have power cycled all of my computers and U-verse modem multiple times with no improvement. I contacted ATT today and they are sending me a new modem. I really don't think that is going to fix things. I'm beginning to think ATT is capping my internet speed on purpose or the U-verse network in my area is over capacity. Can an ATT employee check to see if the network in my area is congested or something? Does anyone else know what might be causing this slow down? Speed doesn't increase during off peak usage hours like 5 in the morning, etc. This makes, however, would indicated that the network isn't overcongested. 

I have the U-verse 12mbps download speed plan. For the past week my internet has been extremely slow. I have never had a speed issue and would always get around 11mbps down and 1.5 mbps up with a 90ms ping on speed tests. However, for the past week my internet has been around 1.5mbps down and no more than 1mbps up. Ping has stayed the same. I don't understand. I have power cycled all of my computers and U-verse modem multiple times with no improvement. I contacted ATT today and they are sending me a new modem. I really don't think that is going to fix things. I'm beginning to think ATT is capping my internet speed on purpose or the U-verse network in my area is over capacity. Can an ATT employee check to see if the network in my area is congested or something? Does anyone else know what might be causing this slow down? Speed doesn't increase during off peak usage hours like 5 in the morning, etc. This makes, however, would indicated that the network isn't overcongested. 

U-verse internet suddenly slow

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 12:40:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

What brand/model gateway from AT&T do you have?  It will direct our troubleshooting options.

Also, are these speeds measured wired or wireless?  If wireless, please also try wired for comparison.

What brand/model gateway from AT&T do you have?  It will direct our troubleshooting options.

Also, are these speeds measured wired or wireless?  If wireless, please also try wired for comparison.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: U-verse internet suddenly slow

2 of 6 (1,429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 8:45:36 PM
(0)
Contributor
i have the same problem right now. did you end up fixing it?

3 of 6 (1,326 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 8:57:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

otiliov wrote:

He may or may not be back anytime soon.  If you want some help with it, answer the questions I posed of him in the post above.

otiliov wrote:

He may or may not be back anytime soon.  If you want some help with it, answer the questions I posed of him in the post above.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (1,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 4:34:24 AM
(0)
Scholar

Mine was very slow last night... I have the 18mbps Uverse Internet and normally get around the 16-17.xx speed range. However, last night I was lucky to hit around 9, but averaged about 6mbps... I had a high ping rate too. Will test my Interent when I get home, but it was very annoying last night.

Mine was very slow last night... I have the 18mbps Uverse Internet and normally get around the 16-17.xx speed range. However, last night I was lucky to hit around 9, but averaged about 6mbps... I had a high ping rate too. Will test my Interent when I get home, but it was very annoying last night.

5 of 6 (1,239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 5:49:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

superman37876 wrote:

Did you happen to be uploading from one of your PCs?  Running online backup?

What you describe can be a symptom of saturated upstream bandwidth.  (Could be other things, too, though.)

superman37876 wrote:

Did you happen to be uploading from one of your PCs?  Running online backup?

What you describe can be a symptom of saturated upstream bandwidth.  (Could be other things, too, though.)

6 of 6 (1,215 Views)