U-verse expansion in eastern Atlanta?

Mentor

U-verse expansion in eastern Atlanta?

Hello!

Is there any word yet on when eastern Atlanta, GA will become officially expanded for U-verse availability? Searching here in the forum didn't produce any results, and the only thing that my local AT&T store will say is that we're "green" for service, but that they'd contact me when my particular address is ready.

Also, based on previous issues I've had with AT&T DSL, the tech once told me that the DSLAM for U-verse was all of 200 feet away from the node for DSL -- as if to say that it shouldn't be too long until we receive the opportunity for service.

That was about a year ago.

While I know that AT&T will let me know when it's formally available for requesting (I have both email and text ready to receive such notification), I was curious to know the overall general status, if any, for the metro Atlanta area, if anyone knows -- even anecdotally (though, if anecdotally, some sourcing would be nice).

Thanks,

-Phil

Message 1 of 20 (4,034 Views)
Professor

Re: U-verse expansion in eastern Atlanta?

AT&T has never made known a timetable for expanding Uverse to any area.  If you'd like,contact Alex, one of the AT&T Community Managers via PM, maybe he can get you some additional info.      Alex

Message 2 of 20 (4,019 Views)

Phil_GA wrote:

Hello!

Is there any word yet on when eastern Atlanta, GA will become officially expanded for U-verse availability? Searching here in the forum didn't produce any results, and the only thing that my local AT&T store will say is that we're "green" for service, but that they'd contact me when my particular address is ready.

Also, based on previous issues I've had with AT&T DSL, the tech once told me that the DSLAM for U-verse was all of 200 feet away from the node for DSL -- as if to say that it shouldn't be too long until we receive the opportunity for service.

That was about a year ago.

While I know that AT&T will let me know when it's formally available for requesting (I have both email and text ready to receive such notification), I was curious to know the overall general status, if any, for the metro Atlanta area, if anyone knows -- even anecdotally (though, if anecdotally, some sourcing would be nice).

Thanks,

-Phil

Don't rely on the messages. I had Uverse, moved three blocks and lost it. I filled out those requests on a monthly basis for more than three years. I, by chance when calling in for a new promo price on my DSL in March, found out Uverse had been available for almost 4 months, and not a peep out of their auto notification system.

As suggested contact Alex, or call in and ask for the Retention Department, or better yet keep your eyes peeled for an AT&T service truck (the pick-ups or vans) in you neighborhood and talk to the "man-in-the-street". 

You want anecdotes check my thread here. http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/what-a-circus/m-p/3214407#M33225 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 3 of 20 (4,002 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Thanks a lot for the responses.

I do continue checking with ATT about once a month to month and a half for any sort of change in story.

Also, quite aware of the state of DSL -- ATT wants out of that business and wants folks into U-verse (at least this is what one U-verse salesperson told me on the phone some months back).

I also wouldn't even entertain making any sort of switch if it weren't for the fact that going to U-verse could theoretically boost my bandwidth. And, based on what folks I know personally have said (as well as scads of messages here), my acute sense of detail will definitely come in handy once the process gets started (it would appear that switching the type of bandwidth I'm using will require the time it takes to fill a part-time job to keep everything straight during the process -- kind of like moving!). It's too bad that such things have to be babysat, but sometimes if you want something done right, you've gotta sit on top of it.

I also have a PM in to Alex as well.

We'll see!

Message 4 of 20 (3,988 Views)
Mentor

Now working with President's Office. Will hopefully hear something reasonably concrete soon.
Message 5 of 20 (3,951 Views)
Contributor

Tagged. I'm in Gwinnett and am so frustrated at the years-long wait.
Message 6 of 20 (3,944 Views)
ACE - Expert

Expansion is over:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-The-UVerse-Build-is-Over-118297

There is still possible expansion in cities/towns Uverse is already in, but that's about it. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 20 (3,927 Views)
Mentor

Not completely:

http://www.bizjournals.com/mobile/sanantonio/news/2012/06/01/att-looking-to-upgrade-rural-phone.html

The takeaway on this is that while I'm still awaiting a response (admittedly and likely to be negative), it is possible that either DSL or LTE might be options in the future.

Unfortunately, we're still likely talking years down the road.
Message 8 of 20 (3,922 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

That would not be tru Uverse internet, it at best would be some form of ADSL 2/2+ IPDSLAM (enhanced ADSL).  But considering it's rural locations, service would probably be coming out of some type of Remote Terminal.  Most likely would not be putting any VRADs out there as Uverse was not mentioned at all, just DSL. Smiley Wink

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 20 (3,911 Views)

mibrnsurg wrote:

That would not be tru Uverse internet, it at best would be some form of ADSL 2/2+ IPDSLAM (enhanced ADSL).  But considering it's rural locations, service would probably be coming out of some type of Remote Terminal.  Most likely would not be putting any VRADs out there as Uverse was not mentioned at all, just DSL. Smiley Wink

Chris

Oddly enough I've seen several VRADs in what would be considered rural areas around my town. If it's actually VDSL coming out of the cabinet they could serve maybe 4 dozen customers because of distance. Maybe they're using the VRAD cabinets for RTs instead out there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 10 of 20 (3,906 Views)
ACE - Expert

CJ, they could be VRADs w/limited Uverse ports and many ADSL 2/2+ IPDSLAM cards providing internet service..  Here there are only enough cards for the ADSL 2/2+ users out of it, since all the Uverse ports are not necessarily being used.  Smiley Surprised

Chris

Message 11 of 20 (3,890 Views)
Mentor

Yeah, unfortunately being located a few miles to the south of Loganville (which is about 15 - 20 miles as the crow flies to the east of Snellville) is technically "rural" (due to CO distances), which helps to explain why my speed would never increase above 3MBps, unless blades are changed out to reprovision.

Message 12 of 20 (3,880 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Just received Office of President call-back about an hour ago.

First, no clear indication on my specific address is given as to any ETAs for U-verse.

Second, the lady confirmed that my general area is "green" for U-verse.

Third, after mentioning previous story quoted in this thread regarding any U-verse expansion stoppage, she stated that "no such information has crossed my desk." When pressed regarding if the metro Atlanta area was still expanding, she said, "Yes, absolutely," and wanted me to continue checking back for any updates.

If I recall, she also mentioned how she was in the same situation regarding U-verse.

So, maybe the news story didn't completely get their facts straight, and/or they misinterpreted what AT&T either said or didn't say to mean something other than what was stated Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 20 (3,867 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

So basically you're still in limbo, could be months, years or never.

Message 14 of 20 (3,861 Views)
Mentor

Granted, I don't presently know any more about my specific address, but at least AT&T confirmed that the U-verse rollout does continue, albeit slowly.

Sometimes patience pays off; we'll see what happens.
Message 15 of 20 (3,849 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.