Posted Mar 27, 2013
7:32:36 PM
U-verse Wireless signal keeps getting dropped

I am having a perplexing problem with my U-verse wireless receiver.  Several times a day it will lose signal and display a message that says "network problems have stopped this stream.  The program is not currently available for playing."

I have done a lot of testing.  Here is where things get strange:

(1) the receiver shows full bars on signal strength at the time that it goes out

(2) I put the receiver 5 feet away from the transmitter ... same thing ... it loses signal  ... so it can't be the walls or obstructions

(3) I got a second receiver and they both lose signal at the EXACT SAME TIME ... tells me it is not the reciever

(4) I had a technician come out and replace the transmitter (WAP) ... same thing ... it loses signal

(5) I can see the transmitter signal strength with a tool that I have on my pc ... it runs in the 5 GHz range and there is no other users of that band

(6) this has happened on 3 different TVs using both component and hdmi ... tells me it is not the TV or connection

(7) I have change the ethernet cables to the switch

The only thing that I have not done is replace the DVR and switch.

Any ideas on what is going on here?  I read a number of posts on the same subject from 2009 and 2012 but did not see a solution.

The TVs are not in a place where we can run cables.  I am about to tell ATT to stick it and move to someone else.

U-verse Wireless signal keeps getting dropped

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2013 8:16:56 AM
(0)
Scholar
First, great job on the troubleshooting you have done so far. Helps to eliminate different possibilities.

Have you tried getting the RG replaced?

You also mentioned you have a switch that you are using, can you outline the network topology that you have?

Re: U-verse Wireless signal keeps getting dropped

2 of 14 (2,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2013 8:12:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

I did another test tonight.  I put all three TVs in the same room, the wired DVR and the two wireless receivers.  I also turned off all other transmissions in the house, both the internet router and the phones.

I watched the wired DVR and kept an eye on the two wireless TVs.  Both wireless recievers lost the network connection at the exact same time.  The wired DVR worked throughout.   

I noticed that the channel switches between 5Gz channels 151 and 40 somewhat randomly.  Unfortunately, I was not able to watch this at the time that the recievers went out because it is in another room, but wonder if it loses signal when a switch occurs.

I will get ATT to come out and replace both the switch and the DVR and will post the result.

3 of 14 (2,541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2013 8:13:33 PM
(0)
Tutor
The topography is beyond my knowledge. ATT set up the system and provided all the hardware.

4 of 14 (2,547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2013 9:01:19 AM
(0)
Professor
Post a screen shot of your signal info, with the MAC Address unchecked in inSSIDer. My 2-Wire 3800, which sits in our basement, typically runs around -48 to -54dbm, my Netgear WN802T-200, which sits about 25 feet from where I normally sit in the living room, runs about -56dbm, my Trendnet TEW690 runs about -37 to -42dbm, and that unit is located about 12 feet from my seat in our living room.

It is all about Location, location, location, and of course distance from the units. I have no problem with still catching my Trendnet from about 100 to 150 feet away outsid, the 2-Wire 3800, I can get it at about the same, from where it sits about 3 feet underground in my basement.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

5 of 14 (2,530 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2013 10:23:18 AM
(0)
Professor

nephipower wrote:
First, great job on the troubleshooting you have done so far. Helps to eliminate different possibilities.

Have you tried getting the RG replaced?

You also mentioned you have a switch that you are using, can you outline the network topology that you have?

If it is the wireless STB WAP that is the issue, the RG being replace will not solve the issue.  It is the placement of the WAP for the Wireless STB's that is the issue.  When I found that it is 100meg only, even though Wireless-N 5ghz, I sent it back to ATT, and just hooked up the STB's through my ethernet connection that the older Silver Cisco boxes were hooked up to.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

6 of 14 (2,521 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2013 4:26:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I agree that it sounds like the special WAP for the wireless boxes seems to be having issues.  It seems to be switching channels for no apparent reason.

I have no direct experience with this WAP.  I'd suggest that call AT&T Technical Support at 800-288-2020 and try to get to tier 2 to see if there's something you can configure on the WAP to keep it from channel switching, or if he'll send you a replacement unit.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 14 (2,506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2013 5:25:44 PM
(0)
Professor
You can by entering the Username & Password, which can be found for it by doing a search on a search engine. The only thing is, it updates with the ATT servers on a regular basis, and can change the settings.

8 of 14 (2,490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2013 6:47:52 AM
(0)
Tutor

Here is an update.  The ATT rep came out 2 days ago and we replaced (1) the WAP, (2) the relay and (3) both wireless receivers.  The only thing now that has not been replaced is the DVR itself.

It worked perfectly well for 2 days and this morning it lost connection again.  It loses both wireless boxes at the exact same time.  The DVR still works. Finally, the wireless boxes or 5 feet from the WAP so there is no interfere issues.

I noticed that the transmitting frequency is usually 157.  The signal strength is about -70.  After this morning's failure I noticed that the channel had moved down to 40.  Watching, it moves from 157 to 151 to 42 to 45.  I suspect that this is where the signal is being lost.  I see no other signals on the 5GHz range that would cause interference.

Is there anyway to lock down the signal?  

9 of 14 (2,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2013 7:24:08 AM
(0)
Tutor

I unplugged and reset the WAP and now the signal strength has gone from -75 to -55.  Maybe the WAP is just getting tired.  ;-)   I will point out that I am losing signal when the boxes are only a couple of feet from the WAP.  The strength reading are coming from a PC upstairs.  The wireless receivers have full bars when they lose connections.

Seriously, I think the issue is the WAP changing frequencies.  I watched it switch from the channel 150 range to 42 range numerous times after the connection was initially lost.

10 of 14 (2,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2013 11:04:00 AM
(0)
Tutor

Here is another update.  Back in April, ATT came out and we replaced everything except the DVR.  Unfortunately, both wireless receivers still lose the connection.  They lose it at the exact same time.  I watched the wireless channel that is being used with SSIDer and noticed that the connection is lost when the WAP changes channels.  Once the signial is lost, the WAP will change the channel every couple of minutes.  Finally, it will settle down and the wireless recievers will reconnect on their own.  I see only one other channel in use and it has a very strong signal.  For some reason, the WAP likes to change to this channel that is in use ... why?  Is there any way to lock the channel?

Before someone talks about signal strength, note that the receivers will lose signal when the WAP is only 5 feet away.  This is not related to the strength of the signal between the WAP and the receivers.  It is the WAP changing changes when it should no be.

11 of 14 (2,042 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2013 1:22:25 PM
(0)
Tutor
Well when my wireless signal dropped I saw that smoke came out from the top after that I tried to connect my laptop and phone it didn't work only if I get close to the modem

12 of 14 (1,979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2013 8:20:28 AM
(0)
Tutor

It looks like we finally have a solution.  As I suspected, the issue was with the Cisco WAP.  ATT came out and replaced it with a new next generation Motorola WAP.  I have had no connection issues in the last 2 weeks.  The new WAP does not use the 5GHz band that the Cisco WAP used.  My SSIDer tool can't see the new frequency band, but I suspect that this new band has much less interference.

13 of 14 (1,878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2013 5:28:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have tried the ideas posted on here and I too have a Cisco receiver and it is still not working properly. It loses signal at least 3-4 times a week and at the worst times. If it was in the middle of the night I would be fine but it is during the day and it takes 20 for the box to reset. can someone give me some help?

14 of 14 (754 Views)