U-verse Counters Netflix With Movie VOD Package

Expert

U-verse Counters Netflix With Movie VOD Package

From the article in the link below:

 

AT&T is launching U-verse Screen Pack, a $5 monthly subscription video-on-demand for watching unlimited movies on TV and other devices, aiming to provide an alternative to Netflix, Redbox Instant by Verizon and other over-the-top video services.

 

The telco also introduced two new U-verse TV apps, available for no extra charge: PacketVideo’s Twonky Beam for accessing personal videos on TV, and Pix & Flix for viewing photos.

 

U-verse TV Screen Pack customers will get unlimited playback of movies on U-verse TV, Uverse.com and on the U-verse app for tablets and smartphones.

 

At launch, the AT&T U-verse Screen Pack will include movies from major studios, with more titles added on an ongoing basis. The telco did not provide examples of titles available through the service.

 

“Our customers have told us they want subscription on demand services and we’re delivering,” Jeff Weber, AT&T Home Solutions president of content and advertising sales, said in a statement. “Screen Pack, along with our On Demand library, gives customers a flexible and more compelling movie experience, where and when they want it.”  

 

Screen Pack content is available on U-verse TV, at uverse.com, or in the U-verse apps for compatible smartphones and tablets.

 

AT&T is offering U-verse TV customers a free preview of Screen Pack between Jan. 7 and 13; customers can order Screen Pack on U-verse TV channel 9910. More info on the U-verse Screen Pack is available atwww.att.com/screenpack.

 

Meanwhile, PacketVideo’s Twonky Beam app lets users send video clips from compatible smartphones the TV with the swipe of their finger.

 

Pix & Flix, created in the AT&T Labs, lets subscribers view photos stored on mobile devices on TV. The app also can connect to Facebook to view photos associated with an account on TV screens.

 

“These apps make it easier than ever to share your favorite photos and videos on a screen that’s easy for everyone to gather around and watch,” Weber said. “We’re excited to work with more developers to deliver more second-screen apps to customers.”

 

U-verse TV customers can connect their apps to any set-top in the home through channel 9301, with no special equipment required.

 

As of the end of September, AT&T had 4.34 million U-verse TV subscribers nationwide.

 

http://www.multichannel.com/telco-tv/u-verse-counters-netflix-movie-vod-package/141053

Message 1 of 31 (7,763 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Screen Pack


oufanindallas wrote:

On Demand, UVerse Screen Pack.


RC's last sentence was "never mind I found it."   Smiley Wink

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 31 (6,941 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Screen Pack

In case anyone else has trouble finding it.

Robot surprised


dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

On Demand, UVerse Screen Pack.


RC's last sentence was "never mind I found it."   Smiley Wink




” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 17 of 31 (6,921 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Screen Pack

Rcvd e-mail this pm -

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 31 (6,901 Views)
Scholar

Re: Screen Pack

I wonder if "Screen Pack" will canibalize the already weak On Demand offerings that U-Verse provides at no additional charge with the service?

Message 19 of 31 (6,796 Views)
Expert

Re: U-verse Counters Netflix With Movie VOD Package

No
Message 20 of 31 (6,790 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Screen Pack


marcindublin wrote:

I wonder if "Screen Pack" will canibalize the already weak On Demand offerings that U-Verse provides at no additional charge with the service?


No.  U-Verse's VOD never had a bevvy of free movies, in the first place.  Again, I don't use VOD but it is weak compared to others.  Again before the U-Verse defenders take me to task, no service is perfect.....

 

If free movies (beyond what is included with your premium channels (if any)) are what you seek, there are many ways of getting them online, such as Crackle and Hulu.  Phil (hpmsrm) hooks his laptop to his TV.  Not quite as easy as pressing the VOD button on your remote but Crackle instantly showed a better selection, IMHO, than Screen Pack.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 31 (6,673 Views)
Tutor

Re: U-verse Counters Netflix With Movie VOD Package

GREAT!!!  The only problem is.......I wouldn't need Netflix or Amazon if you actually had movies that I want to see.  I have U-450, and between Live and On Demand, still can't find anything I want to watch.  I went through the movie list - I wouldn't use it if it was free. 

 

Apparently you don't understand why people use the streaming services.  It isn't because we want instant gratification.  It's because we want WHAT WE WANT instantly.  Your "instant" sales will not go up if you continue to offer a "$5 instant kale and brussel sprout smoothie" - the equivalent of your movie listings!

 

I pay a huge amount of money for my bandwidth (up to 26 Mbps).  I average about 19 Mbps and now it seems that my movie watching is being throttled (down to 2.5 Mbps).  I only use Netflix or Amazon once in a blue moon! 

 

In the areas with U-Verse, we have other options.  Choking the people who pay your bills will result in less people to pay your bills.

Message 22 of 31 (5,815 Views)

Re: U-verse Counters Netflix With Movie VOD Package


tceperry wrote:

GREAT!!!  The only problem is.......I wouldn't need Netflix or Amazon if you actually had movies that I want to see.  I have U-450, and between Live and On Demand, still can't find anything I want to watch.  I went through the movie list - I wouldn't use it if it was free. 

 

Apparently you don't understand why people use the streaming services.  It isn't because we want instant gratification.  It's because we want WHAT WE WANT instantly.  Your "instant" sales will not go up if you continue to offer a "$5 instant kale and brussel sprout smoothie" - the equivalent of your movie listings!

 

I pay a huge amount of money for my bandwidth (up to 26 Mbps).  I average about 19 Mbps and now it seems that my movie watching is being throttled (down to 2.5 Mbps).  I only use Netflix or Amazon once in a blue moon! 

 

In the areas with U-Verse, we have other options.  Choking the people who pay your bills will result in less people to pay your bills.


No one is forcing you to subscibe to the Screen Pack. If you don't want to use it, don't.  I have both Netflix and Amazon Prime and their services don't provide everything I wish we could have, but for the small fee I pay, i'm not going to complain. My son uses Netflix more than anyone in my house for his childrens shows.  I have two tvs with wireless ROKU devices and neither one has an issue streaming.  As for the content of live TV, you cannot possibly think that it's AT&T's fault? It's the stations that provide the content, not AT&T.  I know the few times I've been home sick or home with a sick kid I feel that with 400+ stations there still is nothing that I want to watch on TV.  Do I fault AT&T for that, no. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 23 of 31 (5,799 Views)
Tutor

Re: U-verse Counters Netflix With Movie VOD Package

Well oufanindallas,  I have had U-Verse for over 7 years.  I really like it as a whole, but there are some very "Microshaftesque" things about it (meaning - they know what is best for us even though we want something different).  Here are a few of my favorites:

 

  • The inability to bypass the "8 hour and go to blue screen" on the set boxes. 
  • Only allowing full mobile extended content to those on AT&T wireless plans, even though we have already paid for it.
  • Offering On-Demand videos for a rental fee, when they all come from the services that I already pay extra for.
  • Throttling streaming video (on the top speed plan) so that we will be softer to the idea of paying extra for movies that wouldn't even be shown on TMC or Flix

When I first got U-Verse, I felt that the new AT&T was trying very much to be like the old Ma Bell in terms of service and attentiveness to the customer.  It is what really kept me with them.  It seems now, though, that the good service I still get is not really making up for the growing list of inattentiveness.

 

You are not helping AT&T with the tone and content of your posts here.  Placations and excuses are not wanted. Lend a sympathetic ear, rather than a pathetic one.  Stop talking about the competition.  As a business owner, I know that if I give more and better to my customer than my competition, I don't need to bash them.  I listen to what my customers need and want.  I show I care about them.  Stop worrying about Trolls and start being the best.  That is all I ask from myself, my employees and my vendors. 

Message 24 of 31 (5,795 Views)

Re: U-verse Counters Netflix With Movie VOD Package


tceperry wrote:

Well oufanindallas,  I have had U-Verse for over 7 years.  I really like it as a whole, but there are some very "Microshaftesque" things about it (meaning - they know what is best for us even though we want something different).  Here are a few of my favorites:

 

  • The inability to bypass the "8 hour and go to blue screen" on the set boxes. 
  • Only allowing full mobile extended content to those on AT&T wireless plans, even though we have already paid for it.
  • Offering On-Demand videos for a rental fee, when they all come from the services that I already pay extra for.
  • Throttling streaming video (on the top speed plan) so that we will be softer to the idea of paying extra for movies that wouldn't even be shown on TMC or Flix

When I first got U-Verse, I felt that the new AT&T was trying very much to be like the old Ma Bell in terms of service and attentiveness to the customer.  It is what really kept me with them.  It seems now, though, that the good service I still get is not really making up for the growing list of inattentiveness.

 

You are not helping AT&T with the tone and content of your posts here.  Placations and excuses are not wanted. Lend a sympathetic ear, rather than a pathetic one.  Stop talking about the competition.  As a business owner, I know that if I give more and better to my customer than my competition, I don't need to bash them.  I listen to what my customers need and want.  I show I care about them.  Stop worrying about Trolls and start being the best.  That is all I ask from myself, my employees and my vendors. 


I cannot speak to the first of your bullets regarding the 8hr sleep mode, I can tell you when I had Dish and Direct, they both did the same thing.

Your 2nd bullet point. I have slingbox so it doesn't really phase me since I do not care to have AT&T wireless.

As for the 3rd, ALL providers will offer new releases for a rental fee until the movie goes to cable so griping to AT&T about that is a moot point. You don't want to have to pay for it, gripe at the studios, but I seriously doubt they are going to give up extra income on new releases.

As for throttling, I've not had any issue with throttling on any of my wireless devices, I'm able to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime on both Roku, my Droid phone and my PC which is also wireless with no stuttering or lag time.

 

I do not work for AT&T, I'm just a customer like you.  Is the service perfect, no, but it's the better of the options I have available. I wouldn't go back to Dish or Direct if they paid me so those are out of the question.  I would however like to see Dish's Hopper with Slingbox capability to be added to UVerse, but I don't know if we'd ever see that or not.

 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 25 of 31 (5,769 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: U-verse Counters Netflix With Movie VOD Package


Etcetera wrote:

Well fundamentals,  I have had U-Verse for over 7 years.  I really like it as a whole, but there are some very "Micrometeorites" things about it (meaning - they know what is best for us even though we want something different).  Here are a few of my favorites:

 

  • The inability to bypass the "8 hour and go to blue screen" on the set boxes. 
  • Only allowing full mobile extended content to those on AT&T wireless plans, even though we have already paid for it.
  • Offering On-Demand videos for a rental fee, when they all come from the services that I already pay extra for.
  • Throttling streaming video (on the top speed plan) so that we will be softer to the idea of paying extra for movies that wouldn't even be shown on TM or Felix

When I first got U-Verse, I felt that the new AT&T was trying very much to be like the old Ma Bell in terms of service and attentiveness to the customer.  It is what really kept me with them.  It seems now, though, that the good service I still get is not really making up for the growing list of inattentiveness.

 

You are not helping AT&T with the tone and content of your posts here.  Applications and excuses are not wanted. Lend a gymspathetic ear, rather than a pathetic one.  Stop talking about the competition.  As a business owner, I know that if I give more and better to my customer than my competition, I don't need to bash them.  I listen to what my customers need and want.  I show I care about them.  Stop worrying about Trolls and start being the best.  That is all I ask from myself, my employees and my vendors. 


Before I start..U Fan nor any of us ACEs are employees of AT&T. We're customers just like you. (Steak Knives!)

 

1. The STB only idles if you haven't interacted with it for over 8 hours. If you change the channel or even just press the "OK" button then the timer resets. If you haven't interacted with your TV in over 8 hours, odds are very good that for a decent portion of that time you weren't in front of it watching anything.

 

2. The mobile TV offered though AT&T Wireless isn't the same as U-Verse TV and is charged separately from U-Verse TV. Recently AT&T renamed the mobile TV service to stop the confusion and to differentiate the two products.

 

3. Welcome to the world of contracts. Content providers agreed to offer AT&T U-Verse with select offerings for their on demand service for a price while others offer it for free. AT&T has no real say on what costs money and what doesn't.

 

4. Citation? Other than some people popping up on here saying YouTube is being throttled, I haven't ever heard about AT&T throttling online streaming services. My personal use of Netflix and Amazon VOD via several devices (Xbox, PC, PS3, iPad, etc.) also state that they are not throttling those services.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 26 of 31 (5,715 Views)
Explorer

Re: U-verse Counters Netflix With Movie VOD Package

[ Edited ]

Back to his original point of the AT&T Screen Pack offerings sucking.  I looked at the selection when there was the free preview and they do suck.  Why would I want to pay AT&T an extra $5 per month for such a horrible selection of movies?  Well, I don't.  And while I am sure Netflix had pretty poor offerings out of the gate when they first started their streaming service it was okay as it was the first of its kind.  There was nothing to compare its horrible selection to.  Now that there are other, already established options out there, AT&T should have waited until they could make more deals with the studios so they could have something worthwhile to offer on this service before going live with it.  This isn't some mom and pop shop starting up a new business with limited money to pay the studios we are talking about here.  It's freaking AT&T.  By the time they add new content will it be too late?  Will this service have already fallen off the map and buried in the back of everyone's minds?

Message 27 of 31 (5,598 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: U-verse Counters Netflix With Movie VOD Package


pacman_85 wrote:

Back to his original point of the AT&T Screen Pack offerings sucking.  I looked at the selection when there was the free preview and they do suck.  Why would I want to pay AT&T an extra $5 per month for such a horrible selection of movies?  Well, I don't.  And while I am sure Netflix had pretty poor offerings out of the gate when they first started their streaming service it was okay as it was the first of its kind.  There was nothing to compare its horrible selection to.  Now that there are other, already established options out there, AT&T should have waited until they could make more deals with the studios so they could have something worthwhile to offer on this service before going live with it.  This isn't some mom and pop shop starting up a new business with limited money to pay the studios we are talking about here.  It's freaking AT&T.  By the time they add new content will it be too late?  Will this service have already fallen off the map and buried in the back of everyone's minds?


Yep, yep.  $5 a year is too much for Screen Pack.  The entire trying to copy the look of Netflix is silly, if they can't compete with the content.  Shoot, even my local Library has their eBooks arranged just like the Netflix onDemand GUI. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 28 of 31 (5,459 Views)
Scholar

Re: U-verse Counters Netflix With Movie VOD Package

Pretty good discussons going on here, so I'll toss my 2 cents in. I also have the U450 plan, along with a home phone. The $5 charge for screen pack is way out of line for what's on the menu for viewing. It should be included in the U450.

 

VOD is also over priced. I can understand charging a higher fee for a new release that's not out on Redbox, but once it's available elsewhere, the pricing should be competitive. Redbox will continue to get my business for newer released videos until ATT decides to match the pricing.

Message 29 of 31 (3,725 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: U-verse Counters Netflix With Movie VOD Package

75vette - you are mostly preaching to the choir.  When AT&T sees a potential revenue stream, their eyes get as big as the silver dollars that they hope will roll in.  They usually don't.  Screen Pack is indeed a sad, sad attempt.  The free Crackle service has similar movies / shows - just not interfaced directly through the remote yet they are free.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 30 of 31 (3,722 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.