U-verse Counters Netflix With Movie VOD Package

Expert

U-verse Counters Netflix With Movie VOD Package

From the article in the link below:

AT&T is launching U-verse Screen Pack, a $5 monthly subscription video-on-demand for watching unlimited movies on TV and other devices, aiming to provide an alternative to Netflix, Redbox Instant by Verizon and other over-the-top video services.

The telco also introduced two new U-verse TV apps, available for no extra charge: PacketVideo’s Twonky Beam for accessing personal videos on TV, and Pix & Flix for viewing photos.

U-verse TV Screen Pack customers will get unlimited playback of movies on U-verse TV, Uverse.com and on the U-verse app for tablets and smartphones.

At launch, the AT&T U-verse Screen Pack will include movies from major studios, with more titles added on an ongoing basis. The telco did not provide examples of titles available through the service.

“Our customers have told us they want subscription on demand services and we’re delivering,” Jeff Weber, AT&T Home Solutions president of content and advertising sales, said in a statement. “Screen Pack, along with our On Demand library, gives customers a flexible and more compelling movie experience, where and when they want it.”  

Screen Pack content is available on U-verse TV, at uverse.com, or in the U-verse apps for compatible smartphones and tablets.

AT&T is offering U-verse TV customers a free preview of Screen Pack between Jan. 7 and 13; customers can order Screen Pack on U-verse TV channel 9910. More info on the U-verse Screen Pack is available atwww.att.com/screenpack.

Meanwhile, PacketVideo’s Twonky Beam app lets users send video clips from compatible smartphones the TV with the swipe of their finger.

Pix & Flix, created in the AT&T Labs, lets subscribers view photos stored on mobile devices on TV. The app also can connect to Facebook to view photos associated with an account on TV screens.

“These apps make it easier than ever to share your favorite photos and videos on a screen that’s easy for everyone to gather around and watch,” Weber said. “We’re excited to work with more developers to deliver more second-screen apps to customers.”

U-verse TV customers can connect their apps to any set-top in the home through channel 9301, with no special equipment required.

As of the end of September, AT&T had 4.34 million U-verse TV subscribers nationwide.

http://www.multichannel.com/telco-tv/u-verse-counters-netflix-movie-vod-package/141053

Message 1 of 31 (7,756 Views)
Teacher

Re: U-verse Counters Netflix With Movie VOD Package

Anyone who thinks that Screen Pack counters Netflix has not yet scrolled through the titles available.  I find it interesting that companies now think we'll pay to watch anything via mobile devices.

Message 2 of 31 (7,659 Views)
ACE - Professor

I went through the package avaliable on the iPad. Very meh in terms of what is being offered.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 31 (7,629 Views)

According to the article it's available via UVerse TV, UVerse.com as well as mobile devices.  Granted 1500 titles isn't that many, but I'm sure the number of titles will increase as the number of subscribers increase.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 4 of 31 (7,618 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

oufanindallas wrote:

According to the article it's available via UVerse TV, UVerse.com as well as mobile devices.  Granted 1500 titles isn't that many, but I'm sure the number of titles will increase as the number of subscribers increase.

I would certainly hope so!  While Netflix does not list the # of titles available via rental or streaming, I'm guessing that the streaming # is at least 8x that (I have heard the 12,000 number before)!  For just a few $ more, I can't see that UV's offering being viable at this time.  Granted I can't point my U-Verse remote at the UV box and get Netflix but I have a half a dozen other ways.

There is a free trial until Jan 13th of the Screen Pack.

Look at the info here but pay particular attention to the comments.  Three out of the four commenters, nailed it.  U-Verse VOD is paper thin.  Thank God I do not depend on VOD!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 31 (7,507 Views)
Expert

I wonder how much streaming content was available on Netflix when it first offered the service.

Message 6 of 31 (7,504 Views)
Teacher

I agree if Screen Pack could get in a time machine and travel to 1997, I bet I'd find it a very compelling product. But, my understanding is that AT&T will want me to part with my money in January 2013. With the exclusive deals that Netflix and Amazon Prime have carved up among distributors and a very competitive streaming landscape, I wouldn't expect this service to gain much traction. But perhaps I'm wrong and this big splash launch was just an appetizer for lots of quality content to come. I guess we will see.
Message 7 of 31 (7,478 Views)
Expert

A lot of the comments being posted in this thread are confusing.  This is an optional service.  No one is required to subscribe to the service.  If you don't see any value in the service, don't subscribe to it.

Message 8 of 31 (7,473 Views)
ACE - Master

texasguy37 wrote:

A lot of the comments being posted in this thread are confusing.  This is an optional service.  No one is required to subscribe to the service.  If you don't see any value in the service, don't subscribe to it.

Well you are certainly right but no one said that I could not complain about it.  Unless you are saying that I can't.... We can then fence, with our steak knives! At any rate, I would LOVE to drop $5 a month, maybe even 8 or 9 on something worthwhile, that is Netflix-esque but have you seen the lists of movies?  OMG, talk about Dogs / Dollar Tree two for a dollar DVD, type movies.  My wife got 40% through the Romances and told me to get out of it.  The documentaries look slightly better, though.  For what they have, a free for U300 and above and $3/month for others seems about right

I WANT this service to be good.

You had asked about Netflix's streaming movie count at startup.  I had heard 8500, somewhere.

Message 9 of 31 (7,351 Views)
Professor

bjohnson33 wrote:

Anyone who thinks that Screen Pack counters Netflix has not yet scrolled through the titles available.  I find it interesting that companies now think we'll pay to watch anything via mobile devices.

It really is no different than the Indie & B flick offerings for Netflix & Amazon Prime.  Found some of the older stuff that was top in the theaters, if you go to top rated.  I look at it this way, that it gives us a more robust offering, when Amazon OnDemand or Netflix Ondemand bombs on you, and you happen to find the same movie in the Screen Pack offerings.

Some of the gems in the rough, are those movies that you think are bombs, when you read the info on it, but after you start watching, it turns out to be a decent diamond in the rough.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

Shouldn't be confusing.  A thread is started that suggests that a new product offering is a potential substitute for Netflix.  Others evaluate the service offering and make comparisons based on the original suggestion of the discussion.  Most don't see value in it at this time.  No one I can see suggested it is a required purchase.  As a new uverse customer, I hope this forum allows constructive criticism of certain elements of the uverse offerings without bringing pom poms to the table.  I'm beginning to understand why this forum appears to have little discussion for a 4M+ subscriber base if everyone who has a criticism is told they should have checked the line-up before switching or is labeled a puppet of comcast.  I'm relatively satisfied with the service based on early returns, but that doesn't mean there aren't elements of the programming of which I can't be critical.

Message 11 of 31 (7,298 Views)

bjohnson33 wrote:

Shouldn't be confusing.  A thread is started that suggests that a new product offering is a potential substitute for Netflix.  Others evaluate the service offering and make comparisons based on the original suggestion of the discussion.  Most don't see value in it at this time.  No one I can see suggested it is a required purchase.  As a new uverse customer, I hope this forum allows constructive criticism of certain elements of the uverse offerings without bringing pom poms to the table.  I'm beginning to understand why this forum appears to have little discussion for a 4M+ subscriber base if everyone who has a criticism is told they should have checked the line-up before switching or is labeled a puppet of comcast.  I'm relatively satisfied with the service based on early returns, but that doesn't mean there aren't elements of the programming of which I can't be critical.

Your first comment was one of the more confusing comment.  You mentioned about providers thinking that everyone wants to watch on mobile devices.  Well, believe it or not, other providers are offering it, people are using it, so therefore if AT&T had not offered on mobile people would have been screaming about it. The service is being offered at an additonal fee for those who choose to subscribe. Granted the library is small now, but give it time and it will grow.  Do I plan on adding it. Not at this time. I have both Netflix and Amazon Prime, and both are available on my cell phone if I choose to watch them when I'm away from my house

Constructive critisism is always welcome, but posting rants about channels that are or are not available when signing up is more on the subscriber since the channel line up is in no way hidden and if changing providers you should always check the lineup of whatever service you are thinking about changing to before making the committment.  

As for Comcast puppets, believe it or not there are those that have other services that will post in other providers threads just to bash the other providers. It happens in Comcast, TWC, Dish and Direct forums as well.  For those that have had the service for a while it's pretty obvious when someone doesn't actually have the service.

Is AT&T perfect, no. But for most folks it's a great product. Can it be improved, definately.  Are other providers passing AT&T in some areas, yes. Does that mean those that have the service and are happy are going to jump ship just because a different provider has feature A, B and C now and AT&T only has A & B, no. But, with any service, if AT&T doesn't work on improvements then they may start to see losses in customer count.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 12 of 31 (7,195 Views)
Expert

Screen Pack

[ Edited ]

I saw the message that a service is available called Uverse Screen Pack.  There is a free preview between now and the 13th.  The message doesn't say how to access it.  Does anyone know how to get it or where it actually is?  I looked in the On Demand section but did not see it.  Never mind I found it.

Message 13 of 31 (7,107 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: Screen Pack

[ Edited ]

uverse.com has a display for screen pack with a button to preview. It seems to change with other features. I did click it & some of the offerings say screen pack.

It is there, but it just goes in circles - never plays a selection.

Message 14 of 31 (7,066 Views)

Re: Screen Pack

On Demand, UVerse Screen Pack.

Message 15 of 31 (7,038 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.