Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 11, 2013
5:04:13 PM
View profile
U-verse 18MBPS plan - problem with multiple connections

Hi -

We just moved to a community running U-verse and new fiber was installed. The speed is great, but we're having connectivity problems.

When it works, it's about 17.5 MBPS download and 1.5 upload - all good.

Whenever my roomate starts using netflix on her iPad AND I am on my computer with very LIGHT internet access (no streaming anything other than a Citrix session for work or streaming a low bandwidth game such as world of warcraft), it slows down, disconnects, and stops.

Sometimes if she is watching TV while I am on we will both disconnect and the TV will go out.

This only happens when more than one device connect to the internet - or if a TV is on and being watched while someone is using the internet.

Solo use is fine.

They have replaced my 2WIRE gateway and also replaced the battery backup box in my residence. 

This is a brand new residence with brand new fiber being installed.

WHAT CAN I DO FIX THE ISSUE WHERE TWO PEOPLE ARE ON AT THE SAME TIME AND WE LOSE CONNECTIVITY/EXTREMELY SLOW AND LAGGY.

I am a computer engineer, so feel free to use technical terms for me. I am 100% positive the issue happens when multiple devices use the internet or cable, and is fine when not.

I don't know much about fiber technology itself but when we came from slower cable internet we were both able to use 5+ devices, all of which streaming at the same time.

Surely even if we were both streaming netflix all day on a true 18mbps connection we should have no problems.

What gives?

Hi -

We just moved to a community running U-verse and new fiber was installed. The speed is great, but we're having connectivity problems.

When it works, it's about 17.5 MBPS download and 1.5 upload - all good.

Whenever my roomate starts using netflix on her iPad AND I am on my computer with very LIGHT internet access (no streaming anything other than a Citrix session for work or streaming a low bandwidth game such as world of warcraft), it slows down, disconnects, and stops.

Sometimes if she is watching TV while I am on we will both disconnect and the TV will go out.

This only happens when more than one device connect to the internet - or if a TV is on and being watched while someone is using the internet.

Solo use is fine.

They have replaced my 2WIRE gateway and also replaced the battery backup box in my residence. 

This is a brand new residence with brand new fiber being installed.

WHAT CAN I DO FIX THE ISSUE WHERE TWO PEOPLE ARE ON AT THE SAME TIME AND WE LOSE CONNECTIVITY/EXTREMELY SLOW AND LAGGY.

I am a computer engineer, so feel free to use technical terms for me. I am 100% positive the issue happens when multiple devices use the internet or cable, and is fine when not.

I don't know much about fiber technology itself but when we came from slower cable internet we were both able to use 5+ devices, all of which streaming at the same time.

Surely even if we were both streaming netflix all day on a true 18mbps connection we should have no problems.

What gives?

U-verse 18MBPS plan - problem with multiple connections

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 1:49:38 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, Pobezo!

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear you're having connectivity issues. If you don't mind, send us a private message by clicking here so we can get you in touch with the U-verse technical team. This team is devoted to fixing U-verse technical issues, so they will work very hard to get this resolved.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. Keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, I am available should you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, Pobezo!

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear you're having connectivity issues. If you don't mind, send us a private message by clicking here so we can get you in touch with the U-verse technical team. This team is devoted to fixing U-verse technical issues, so they will work very hard to get this resolved.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. Keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, I am available should you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: U-verse 18MBPS plan - problem with multiple connections

2 of 9 (2,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 5:13:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Are you running wired or wireless?  I have the 12Mbps plan and constantly have multiple devices connected all wireless and even with one or more tvs on I still get around 11.5Mbps.  Usually two of the devices are streaming Netflix.  try downloading UVerserealtime and post screen shots of the IP profile, error table and bitloading. Also download inSSIDer and see what other wi-fi signals could be interfering.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Are you running wired or wireless?  I have the 12Mbps plan and constantly have multiple devices connected all wireless and even with one or more tvs on I still get around 11.5Mbps.  Usually two of the devices are streaming Netflix.  try downloading UVerserealtime and post screen shots of the IP profile, error table and bitloading. Also download inSSIDer and see what other wi-fi signals could be interfering.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (2,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 7:56:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

ATTMarianaCM,

I have already opened a few tickets in the system and none of them have resolved the issue - it seems that AT&T hasn't thrown someone who has actually cared enough about my problem to investigate it properly.

What is the process going to be?

ATTMarianaCM,

I have already opened a few tickets in the system and none of them have resolved the issue - it seems that AT&T hasn't thrown someone who has actually cared enough about my problem to investigate it properly.

What is the process going to be?

4 of 9 (2,429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 7:57:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

oufanindallas,

I will download this right now and run it for a day or so and check it when I am having problems. Thanks!

oufanindallas,

I will download this right now and run it for a day or so and check it when I am having problems. Thanks!

5 of 9 (2,428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2013 7:18:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Pobezo, clicking the link given above will put you in contact with an escalation team who will work with you until the problem is resolved.  I'd go ahead and do that.

It sounds like to me your line is marginal and when you try to use more than a small portion of its capacity you run into issues.  Please follow OUfan's advise to run UVrealtime and post your screenshots.  That will allow us to advise you on how to deal with AT&T.

Pobezo, clicking the link given above will put you in contact with an escalation team who will work with you until the problem is resolved.  I'd go ahead and do that.

It sounds like to me your line is marginal and when you try to use more than a small portion of its capacity you run into issues.  Please follow OUfan's advise to run UVrealtime and post your screenshots.  That will allow us to advise you on how to deal with AT&T.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 9 (2,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2013 3:21:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

JefferMC

I wasn't able to upload the tools to run UVrealtime. I was able to install it but I haven't been able to get any data from it.

I have connected to the router but nothing is "enabled"

What am I trying to take a screenshot of here?

JefferMC

I wasn't able to upload the tools to run UVrealtime. I was able to install it but I haven't been able to get any data from it.

I have connected to the router but nothing is "enabled"

What am I trying to take a screenshot of here?

7 of 9 (2,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2013 8:07:45 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hello Pobezo,

We're sorry about the service interruptions. We have received your Private Message and look forward to finding the source of trouble and help you coordinate a resolution. Please check your Private Messages for further instructions or updates.

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

Need more help?

Download the myAT&T App and click Fix It Now! Support Tools to get U-verse help. For more assistance, send a quick message to ATTU-verseCare. Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.

Hello Pobezo,

We're sorry about the service interruptions. We have received your Private Message and look forward to finding the source of trouble and help you coordinate a resolution. Please check your Private Messages for further instructions or updates.

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

Need more help?

Download the myAT&T App and click Fix It Now! Support Tools to get U-verse help. For more assistance, send a quick message to ATTU-verseCare. Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 9 (2,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2013 11:56:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

When UVRealtime is able to connect to the RG, it fills the various tabs with data.  The most relevant tabs for your issue are likely IP/Profile, Errors and Bitloading.  However, if it's not able to connect to the RG, that's the first thing to fix.

Do you have more than one Ethernet adapter active on your system?  A VPN connection, perhaps?

Or, it may be your RG isn't one of those supported by UVrealtime?  The only ones fully supported are the 2WIRE 3600, 3800 and 3801's.  Certain others return some data, but not really enough.

When UVRealtime is able to connect to the RG, it fills the various tabs with data.  The most relevant tabs for your issue are likely IP/Profile, Errors and Bitloading.  However, if it's not able to connect to the RG, that's the first thing to fix.

Do you have more than one Ethernet adapter active on your system?  A VPN connection, perhaps?

Or, it may be your RG isn't one of those supported by UVrealtime?  The only ones fully supported are the 2WIRE 3600, 3800 and 3801's.  Certain others return some data, but not really enough.

9 of 9 (2,313 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments