U-Verse subs to miss 1,500 Hours of Winter Olympic coverage

ACE - Master

U-Verse subs to miss 1,500 Hours of Winter Olympic coverage

Not posted as a slam to AT&T but it is what it is.  I bet we will hear much more on this. Smiley Sad

Someone asked about "Universal Sports" in this thread.  That got me to "researchin'.'"  Apparently, NBC is pushing well over 1500 hours of Winter Olympic coverage on Universal.  Look here.  1539 hours will be on Universal while the channels that U-Verse does carry (NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, MSN and USA) will show just 539 hours.

Blows if you like the Winter Olympics.

EDIT: It appears that no Olympic coverage will be on Universal Sports Network. D'oh!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 11
ACE - Expert

Re: U-Verse subs to miss 1,500 Hours of Winter Olympic coverage

I think you are confused.  I cite this paragraph from the site you linked:

• The six NBCUniversal platforms – NBC (185 hours), NBCSN (230), CNBC (36), MSNBC (45), USA Network (43) and NBCOlympics.com (1,000+) – will offer the most in-depth coverage in Winter Olympics history. The 1,539+ hours is more than Vancouver (835) and Torino (419) combined (1,254);

Note that none of these is UNIVERSAL SPORTS.

NBCUniversal is a media company that includes NBC, etc.  It is not a channel.  U-verse carries local NBC affiliates,NBCSN,  CNBC, MSNBC and USA Network.  You can use your U-verse High Speed Internet to access NBCOlympics.com

So... what, exactly, are AT&T U-verse subscribers going to miss out on?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11
Teacher

JefferMC is correct.  Nonetheless, Universal Sports Network shows a lot of "pre-Olympic" sports programming/events, including "Countdown to Sochi" etc, featuring many of the athletes who will be competing in the upcoming games, and would be a great addition (and as of now the final slot on my wish list) to Uverse.

Message 3 of 11
ACE - Professor

What amazes me is that the official Olympic schedule shows that there is only about 500 hours of actual completion scheduled (including the opening and closing ceremonies).

If you want to know I calculated 499 hours and 15 minutes. This doesn't include the possibility of the event going over it's scheduled time. 

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
Message 4 of 11
ACE - Master

I will defer to TitanTV, about a week before the games start to see of we are missing out or not,  I will say that NBC has dropped the ball on naming these channels, as they are VERY confusing

I think it odd if Universal is showing all of these Olympic pre-shows, they would not show any Olympic competitions when the games are on?  I think not, lol.

Message 5 of 11
Teacher

Agree that it is odd, however the decision made is ultimately one of money.  If you look at the Universal Sports Network website, you'll see that they are not carried on several providers, including Comcast and Uverse. That won't fly with advertisers spending a lot of money to air their commercials.  I added it to my Roku via a satellite company's streaming package, that will remain nameless.

Message 6 of 11
ACE - Expert

dhascall wrote:

I think it odd if Universal is showing all of these Olympic pre-shows, they would not show any Olympic competitions when the games are on?  I think not, lol.

NBCUniversal owns the rights to show the Olympic games.  It owns a small minority stake in Universal Sports.  This does not translate into Universal Sports having the rights to air the Olympic Games.

Message 7 of 11
ACE - Master

JefferMC wrote:

dhascall wrote:

NBCUniversal owns the rights to show the Olympic games.  It owns a small minority stake in Universal Sports.  This does not translate into Universal Sports having the rights to air the Olympic Games.

OK: Maybe it was me that was "hasty." Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 11
Scholar

Isn't it accurate to say that Universal is showing the competition before the competition. American Olympians have to earn their way to Sochi and those contests can be just as intriguing as the Olympics themselves. In any event, more channels are always better than fewer channels. UVerse should carry this channel.

Message 9 of 11
ACE - Master

marcindublin wrote:

Isn't it accurate to say that Universal is showing the competition before the competition. American Olympians have to earn their way to Sochi and those contests can be just as intriguing as the Olympics themselves. In any event, more channels are always better than fewer channels. UVerse should carry this channel.

And I agree 100%.

Message 10 of 11

dhascall wrote:

marcindublin wrote:

And I agree 100%.

I'll agree as well. More channels are always better. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 11 of 11
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support