Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Impacted by the government shutdown? AT&T can help.  Learn more

U-Verse now carries two DTV subchannels! Thousands more to go, lol

ACE - Master

U-Verse now carries two DTV subchannels! Thousands more to go, lol

As most know, AT&T U-Verse does not carry broadcaster's DTV subchannels, such as 6.3 or 13.2.  Well, they normally don't carry them.  Thanks to a tip from another forum member, I found evidence that U-Verse does in the Monterey, California area as one broadcaster has NBC on the main 8.1 channel and ABC on their 8.2.  channel.  U-Verse carries 8.1 on U-Verse 8/1008 and 8.2 on 7/1007.

Welp, I found another instance In this thread, a member from near Biloxi, MS was upset that U-Verse doesn't carry the CW from New Orleans when other providers do.  I checked the U-Verse channel Guide and U-Verse carries WXXV Fox 25 on 25/1025 and NBC (WXXV 25.2) on 26/1026.  So again, they can carry the subchannels, when they want to.  And in most cases, they don't want to.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 17
Expert

Re: U-Verse now carries two DTV subchannels! Thousands more to go, lol

There are probably many complexities that are not in the public domain that impact this situation. Like, How do the must carry rules apply?

Then there is the contractual ownership of the content. I was thinking these oddball cases may be that the owner of the sub-channel is different than the owner of of the content in the U-verse footprint where it appears.

Another wierdity is that, by definition, a sub-channel does not have broadcast HD bandwidth. Only the .1 channel may be broadcast in HD, or not. The other sub-channels can be seriously poor quality. Originally, I thought that if the .1 channel was broadcasting HD, the subs would be shut down because HD takes over the bandwidth. But,that does not seem to be the case.

I realize that just because content is not broadcast in HD it does not prevent a non-broadcast HD feed.

Just another complexity.
Message 2 of 17
Scholar

It's probably a network thing since they are all main networks. They probably have a carriage deal for the networks specifically. Most DTV sub channels do not carry main networks (CBS, ABC, CW, NBC, FOX etc) but if they do and they are the only ones in the area carrying that specific network, then the sub channel will be carried. That's my guess.

In Milwaukee, Southeast Wisconsin we have ME-TV on Channel 19. It got to keep it's slot, because it was on a full power signal (Channel 49) but swapped spots with sister WMLW-CA (41) which run an independant format. The reason they swapped spots was so WMLW could have a full power HD signal. The main station WDJT (CBS) has 4 digital slots in use. Not enough room for HD. So WDJT DT-2 carries ME-TV for the areas that cannot recieve the Channel 41 LP signal, and it's run on Channel 41, and thus U-Verse carries it. U-Verse also carries Telemundo from an LPTV station (WYTU) and MundoFox from another LPTV signal.

None of WDJT and WMLW's other sub channels (Bounce, Touchvision, ThisTV, Movies!) are carried as they are not associated with a main LPTV station. 

Message 3 of 17
ACE - Expert

Yes, apparently they do arrange to carry them when its the only way to get a major network in the market.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 17
ACE - Master

aviewer: I don't think must carry rules apply.  FCC must carry applies to certain powered stations not networks. 

AND I also understood that only the .1 could be HD.  But that is not so.

Per rabbitears.info, WXXV transmits 720p on both 25.1 and 25.2.  Now Dolby Digital audio might be another issue, as the .2 is only 2.0.

25-1  48.3 720p DD5.1 WXXVFOX "Fox 25" 
25-2 48.4 720p DD2.0 NBCNBC  

jeffer: I do believe that if U-Verse did not carry a major network that would be a huge issue.

Long story short: Where there is a will there is a way (for AT&T to carry the subchannels). Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 17
ACE - Expert

We knew it wasn't a purely technical issue, as the primary channel is technically as much a subchannel as any of the others, in a "first among equals" sort of way.

I'm sure AT&T has a policy that determines what channels they will carry in a market and most "subchannels" don't meet the criteria.  It may be because ratings are low.  It may be because the committment from the station to continue the channel isn't there.  It would be nice to know what those criteria are, but we probably never will.

Message 6 of 17
ACE - Master

@JefferMC wrote:

We knew it wasn't a purely technical issue, as the primary channel is technically as much a subchannel as any of the others, in a "first among equals" sort of way.

I'm sure AT&T has a policy that determines what channels they will carry in a market and most "subchannels" don't meet the criteria.  It may be because ratings are low.  It may be because the committment from the station to continue the channel isn't there.  It would be nice to know what those criteria are, but we probably never will.

The criteria would be cool to know.   I have heard locally and from another poster, that although equipment, access and expertise was offered to AT&T free (in at least a couple of cases) AT&T did not seem at all, interested.

Message 7 of 17
Scholar

Here in the baton rouge dma....uverse carries a baton rouge METV channel....on channel 136..it is not in the low range channels

Message 8 of 17
ACE - Master

@shewjr wrote:

Here in the baton rouge dma....uverse carries a baton rouge METV channel....on channel 136..it is not in the low range channels

Right, that was AT&T's intention, a few years back to carry MeTV nationally on channel 136.  They have apparently stopped that rollout and my guess is that local broadcasters cried foul as they carry MeTV on a local channel or subchannel.  It would be the same issue if AT&T wanted to carry CBS on say channel  168 and all of the local CBS affiliates cried foul.  Just a guess.

Just curious, does your channel 136 have local programming, mention WLFT DTV 30.2 ID's at the top of the hour and so on?

Message 9 of 17
Scholar

no they have metv programming 24/7....I never seen them mention their call letters
Message 10 of 17

They have apparently stopped that rollout and my guess is that local broadcasters cried foul as they carry MeTV on a local channel or subchannel.  It would be the same issue if AT&T wanted to carry CBS on say channel  168 and all of the local CBS affiliates cried foul.  Just a guess.

Perhaps, but why aren't the local broadcasters crying foul when TWC or Comcast carries the local subchannels?

Message 11 of 17
ACE - Master

@marcindublin wrote:

They have apparently stopped that rollout and my guess is that local broadcasters cried foul as they carry MeTV on a local channel or subchannel.  It would be the same issue if AT&T wanted to carry CBS on say channel  168 and all of the local CBS affiliates cried foul.  Just a guess.

Perhaps, but why aren't the local broadcasters crying foul when TWC or Comcast carries the local subchannels?

The local broadcasters don't care if a company carries their local station, because then they can count those viewers when selling ad space.

However, if a company carries a national feed, the local broadcasters can't make money from advertisments to those customers.

Message 12 of 17
ACE - Master

@marcindublin wrote:

TWC and Comcast have worked together with the local broadcasters.  The previous issue was a National carriage of MeTV.  

Message 13 of 17
ACE - Professor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WSFJ-TV

51.1 TBN

51.2 Church Channel

51.3 JCTV (now known as JUCE.)

51.4 Enlace

51.5 Smile of a Child

U-Verse lineup

340 Smile of a Child

560 TBN

565 Church Channel

570 JUCE

Interestingly, I cannot get WSFJ or any subchannels on my digital OTA TV. Also, as I have no interest in the religion channels, I cannot tell anyone if those channels are the same or different in terms of programming.

Message 14 of 17
ACE - Master

@baseballisback wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WSFJ-TV

51.1 TBN

51.2 Church Channel

51.3 JCTV (now known as JUCE.)

51.4 Enlace

51.5 Smile of a Child

U-Verse lineup

340 Smile of a Child

560 TBN

565 Church Channel

570 JUCE

Interestingly, I cannot get WSFJ or any subchannels on my digital OTA TV. Also, as I have no interest in the religion channels, I cannot tell anyone if those channels are the same or different in terms of programming.

I have those too, on U-Verse.  My guess is that they are National feeds, coincidentally also carried WSFJ's subchannels.   My local WCLJ has the same ones as WSFJ.  

Message 15 of 17
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support