U-Verse internet streaming problems

Contributor

U-Verse internet streaming problems

We've been having problems with our 18 Mb U-Verse internet lately while streaming video. It doesn't happen all the time, but some videos will take an obscene amount of time to buffer. I tried watching a low res YouTube video and it took forever to load. In another instance, my wife and I tried streaming a tv show on her Macbook Pro that we push to our tv and the video just froze about 5 minutes in. The buffering was stuck on 1 out of the like 5 bars. During all these times I've checked my wifi speeds via my phone and speedtest always shows around 16mb/sec down. I downloaded the Realtime program and here are some shots. We had the AT&T people out again and they gave us a new modem, but it didn't fix the problem. This is the 5th modem we've had since signing up in October. We're really not that happy with our decision to go with them. Any help as to why this is happening would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 15 (7,931 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Re: U-Verse internet streaming problems

You need to either call Tech Support, send a Private message to ATTCustomerCare, or place a ticket at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sbcdirect explaining what is going on. You do need to include your BAN (Billing Account Number) in the request.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

You're best bet would be to try sending a PM to ATTCustomerCare using the following link
http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

Explain your issue and what has been done to try and resolve it. Provide a link to this thread.

Looks like your line stats don't look very good. So you probably want to have then send out a line tech.
Message 3 of 15 (7,862 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Did this get resolved? I'm having a similar issue, all of the streaming video (netflix, amazon, MLBtv) has color banding and pixilation. I've tried the watching the same movie on Blu Ray, then on Netflix, PS3, laptop, and my tv. The Blu Ray is flawless but the streaming videos look terrible. I'm supposed to be on a 18 mbps plan, I've used the speed test app and clocked my connection at about 15 mbps wireless. I had an AT&T tech check it out and he switched the routers and checked the inside and outside connections. Streaming video still looks awful. I had slower connection speed at a different address and it looked fine.

Here's a screen shot from house of cards, note the banding in the circled areas. This is the way all of my video looks.

Message 4 of 15 (7,550 Views)
ACE - Expert

I'm not seeing what you're trying to show, probably given the darkness and resolution in the picture.

What I can say is that comparing ANYONE's broadcast offering to a BluRay is going to make the broadcast look sad.  BluRay over HDMI can send 1080p/60 with 12 bit color using a bitrate measured in GIGAbits per second.  No one is providing this kind of signal live to the home... nobody.  Not netflix, not AT&T, nobody.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 15 (7,520 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

My point was that it isn't a device/wiring issue, and that I didn't have these problems with a slower connection at a different address. I'd like to know why my connection speed is fine, but streaming quaility has tanked.

Message 6 of 15 (7,501 Views)
Anonymous

Now you have me curious...what is this banding you are referring to. I tried as hard as I could to see it in that pic, but it looks fine to me at the detail I can see. Also, have you tried getting your own router and using that instead of the Uverse one?

Message 7 of 15 (7,431 Views)
Teacher

that needs to be on a 55" screen :-)  I am using the AT&T router, was thinking about changing. Do you have any recommendations for routers?

Message 8 of 15 (7,424 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

You don't see the blocking/banding between dark and light brown?

Message 9 of 15 (7,420 Views)
Employee

I'm viewing your pic on a 10" tablet at about 18 inches looks good.

Suggested viewing distance for a 55" TV us minimum about 7 feet to 12.5 feet, what is your viewing distance?

If have Uverse must use ATT RG for internet connection, you can put a router behind for your own intranet.

A quick Google search will find plenty if posts about Netflix streaming quality issues plus twitch TV and other streaming offerings regardless of ISP (ATT, Comcast, Time Warner, Verizon FIOS, and others). Normal Netflix HD streams about 5M slightly lower than 5.7 used in providing HDTV by Uverse.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 15 (7,402 Views)
ACE - Expert

sfoulk1 wrote:

that needs to be on a 55" screen :-)  I am using the AT&T router, was thinking about changing. Do you have any recommendations for routers?

Best viewing is the 12.5', 3x diameter, for Uverse viewing on the 55" TV.  Any closer and the experience may be degraded.

Netflix has admitted they have streaming problems and are trying to solve the problem.

For putting a router behind the RG, see this thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Using-my-own-router-is-this-possible/m-p/2558691#M21476

Netgear 'n' routers work well, but TV must always come out of the RG as other routers can not do QOS that TV needs.  Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 15 (7,374 Views)
Teacher

Yeah I've read about Netflix, I'm just surprised that it looks that way for all of my streaming content, regardless of what program it is.
I think I'm a little over 10' now, from what I've read that's the optimal distance for a 55"
Message 12 of 15 (7,339 Views)
ACE - Expert

Here, try this and see what comes up for your 55" unit:

http://hdinstallers.com/calculator.htm?screensize=55&hdViewDistance=13.75+Feet&viewDistance=&hdScree...

Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 13 of 15 (7,297 Views)
Teacher

Message 14 of 15 (7,254 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]
I can't chromcast a movie without it stopping to buffer every few minutes. Its,awful. I have the speed that allows for gaming?? I don't think so.
I admit, I hate Comcast but the streaming was great.
I also can see each pixel. I would love to buy a 4k tv but not while I'm having so many issues. I'm paying much more than I did withe comcadt, I just wish they weren't so rude.
is direct TV better?
Message 15 of 15 (2,286 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.