U-Verse Voice Issues

Tutor

U-Verse Voice Issues

My U-Verse Voice has had a hum since installation back in October.  I've gotten somewhat used to it, but is not as clear as my old landline.  The hum goes away when the AT&T-installed battery backup is unplugged.  The cordless phone on the same line that I often use in the basement does not have the hum.  Lately, the phone blanks out sometimes when on a call.  The technician who installed it gave me a sheet with his and his boss's phone numbers, but no one answers nor returns my calls after leaving messages.  Any ideas? 

Message 1 of 5 (430 Views)
Community Support

Re: U-Verse Voice Issues

Hi @Backsters ,

I apologize about the inconveniences with your U-verse phone service. It sounds like there may be an issue with the Battery Backup Unit, although I cannot think of how it is causing a problem. Do you have the same problems when you plug a corded phone directly into the back of the U-verse gateway?

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 5 (360 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for attempting to help.  You didn't mention if I should plug a whole phone into the back of the gateway or just a handset, nor which of the three phone line receptacles I should use, but nothing changes when I tried various combinations.  The constant hum seems to be a fairly common problem from what I've read.  Probably more important is the phone line going dead when in use.  When I get a block of available time, I'll call the tech help line.   

Message 3 of 5 (337 Views)
Highlighted
Community Support

Hi @Backsters,

Sorry for not being more specific, but thank you for trying all those combinations for me. For anyone else that runs into this thread, we just want to test with a stand-alone-phone plugged directly into the back of the U-verse gateway. I can definitely help with any escalation necessary, and if you could please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you. 

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 5 (332 Views)
Tutor

U-Verse Voice Issues - Update

Yesterday, I called an AT&T tech support line and related the situation with my U-Verse Voice.  The phone rep had an open time period that an AT&T service guy could come out to the house in late afternoon.  He checked out the wiring and the two phones.  Everything checked out okay while he was here.  To eliminate the phone hum, he bypassed the battery backup with the option for me to reconnect it when there is a power outage.  Wondering if the battery backup would be fully charged at the time of any power outage, I put the battery backup back into the circuit.  So, things are just as they were before the service call, but I do appreciate the service guy checking things out and attempting a solution.  If I have many more dropped calls, further investigating would need to be done.  For now, I will take a wait and see approach.     

Message 5 of 5 (277 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.