Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Oct 11, 2013
5:29:38 PM
View profile
U-Verse Techs
Edited by jodog4 on Oct 11, 2013 at 5:43:54 PM

Watch out,it looks like U-verse tech think customers are stupid.. My battery backup was beeping & the battery light was red..  I called it in & was told a tech would be out the next day..  He called b/4 arriving & ask what the problem was.. I told him & he said he would be there to fix it.. Said when he replaced the battery there would only be 1 green light as new battery worked different.  He came ,pulled the old battery out & said he was going to his truck to get a new one.. He came back in with what I believe was the same battery he removed,said they had different type of cells so it would not give me a problem & reinstalled it.. Only 1 green light.. Now I know why.. Was not sure at the time because I wasn't pay that close of attention but I didn't believe he connected battery to the backup.. So after  he left I popped the cover off & sure enough he had just but the battery back in without connecting it.. 

I don't have a problem with this as all it does is keep the phone service working during power outages & I have a cell phone for that..   What I don't like is being treated like I'm stupid..  All he had to do was tell he was just going to disconnect the battery & be done with it.. 

Well I just had to vent.. Have a good night everyone..

Watch out,it looks like U-verse tech think customers are stupid.. My battery backup was beeping & the battery light was red..  I called it in & was told a tech would be out the next day..  He called b/4 arriving & ask what the problem was.. I told him & he said he would be there to fix it.. Said when he replaced the battery there would only be 1 green light as new battery worked different.  He came ,pulled the old battery out & said he was going to his truck to get a new one.. He came back in with what I believe was the same battery he removed,said they had different type of cells so it would not give me a problem & reinstalled it.. Only 1 green light.. Now I know why.. Was not sure at the time because I wasn't pay that close of attention but I didn't believe he connected battery to the backup.. So after  he left I popped the cover off & sure enough he had just but the battery back in without connecting it.. 

I don't have a problem with this as all it does is keep the phone service working during power outages & I have a cell phone for that..   What I don't like is being treated like I'm stupid..  All he had to do was tell he was just going to disconnect the battery & be done with it.. 

Well I just had to vent.. Have a good night everyone..

U-Verse Techs

[ Edited ]
1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 6:24:06 PM
(0)
Employee
Basically the tech did not want to charge you, charges would be $99 service call plus battery which is supposed to be ordered from belkin or fiber safe depending on BBU installed

From Uverse terms of service http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp
Power Outages and Backup Batteries . YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTAND THAT AT&T U-VERSE VOICE REQUIRES ELECTRICAL POWER TO FUNCTION AND THAT YOU THEREFORE MUST AT ALL TIMES MAINTAIN A WORKING BACKUP BATTERY FOR YOUR iNID, RG AND YOUR ONT (IF YOU HAVE ONE). YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTAND THAT IT WILL TAKE APPROXIMATELY 18 HOURS TO CHARGE AN INITIAL BACKUP BATTERY AFTER U-VERSE VOICE IS INSTALLED AND/OR AFTER A REPLACEMENT BATTERY IS INSTALLED. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTAND THAT TO CONSERVE BATTERY POWER DURING A POWER OUTAGE, YOU SHOULD NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE BACKUP BATTERIES FOR ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN TO POWER YOUR U-VERSE VOICE SERVICE(OR TO POWER YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION, FOR THE PURPOSE OF POWERING YOUR HOME ALARM, IF YOU HAVE AN IP-BASED HOME ALARM THAT USES AT&T U-VERSE HIGH SPEED INTERNET)..... YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR DETERMINING WHEN THE iNID, RG AND ONT BACKUP BATTERIES REQUIRE REPLACEMENT AND FOR REPLACING AND RECYCLING USED BATTERIES IN ACCORDANCE WITH MANUFACTURER OR VENDOR DIRECTIONS. YOU ALSO ACKNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR OBTAINING AND MAINTAINING BACKUP BATTERIES OR OTHER SOURCES OF POWER FOR ANY CORDLESS PHONES YOU USE WITH YOUR U-VERSE VOICE SERVICE.

Additional info including where to order batteries. http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409162&cv=814

From my perspective tier support dropped the ball by not telling you the batteries are your responsibility and to request a tech visit for such is a billable dispatch.
As you make no mention of being charged I agree the tech was trying to humor you but should have informed you of options, for some battery back up is extremely important especially if elder living alone or to report medical conditions.
Basically the tech did not want to charge you, charges would be $99 service call plus battery which is supposed to be ordered from belkin or fiber safe depending on BBU installed

From Uverse terms of service http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp
Power Outages and Backup Batteries . YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTAND THAT AT&T U-VERSE VOICE REQUIRES ELECTRICAL POWER TO FUNCTION AND THAT YOU THEREFORE MUST AT ALL TIMES MAINTAIN A WORKING BACKUP BATTERY FOR YOUR iNID, RG AND YOUR ONT (IF YOU HAVE ONE). YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTAND THAT IT WILL TAKE APPROXIMATELY 18 HOURS TO CHARGE AN INITIAL BACKUP BATTERY AFTER U-VERSE VOICE IS INSTALLED AND/OR AFTER A REPLACEMENT BATTERY IS INSTALLED. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTAND THAT TO CONSERVE BATTERY POWER DURING A POWER OUTAGE, YOU SHOULD NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE BACKUP BATTERIES FOR ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN TO POWER YOUR U-VERSE VOICE SERVICE(OR TO POWER YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION, FOR THE PURPOSE OF POWERING YOUR HOME ALARM, IF YOU HAVE AN IP-BASED HOME ALARM THAT USES AT&T U-VERSE HIGH SPEED INTERNET)..... YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR DETERMINING WHEN THE iNID, RG AND ONT BACKUP BATTERIES REQUIRE REPLACEMENT AND FOR REPLACING AND RECYCLING USED BATTERIES IN ACCORDANCE WITH MANUFACTURER OR VENDOR DIRECTIONS. YOU ALSO ACKNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR OBTAINING AND MAINTAINING BACKUP BATTERIES OR OTHER SOURCES OF POWER FOR ANY CORDLESS PHONES YOU USE WITH YOUR U-VERSE VOICE SERVICE.

Additional info including where to order batteries. http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409162&cv=814

From my perspective tier support dropped the ball by not telling you the batteries are your responsibility and to request a tech visit for such is a billable dispatch.
As you make no mention of being charged I agree the tech was trying to humor you but should have informed you of options, for some battery back up is extremely important especially if elder living alone or to report medical conditions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: U-Verse Techs

2 of 2 (257 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments