U-Verse Customer Service Problems

Contributor

U-Verse Customer Service Problems

[ Edited ]

I've tried to email the below message, but was unable to find a customer service email address anywhere on the website.  Instead, I had to register to post on this board which adds to my frustration that I'm having to spend more and more time than what I consider reasonable for what I think should take for what I'm needing to do: Restore my services when moving back in my home after damages were repaired that were a result of a house fire.

My house caught fire in Oct. '11.  My wife called and had the internet suspended and the phone forwarded to her cell while our house was being repaired and we were living in a hotel.  My wife said it was easy and the person that helped her was great to work with.  The majority of my home repairs are complete and now we're in the process of moving back in.  I contacted AT&T on 1/12/12 to have my service restored to my home (phone and internet).  I was on the phone for 1:14:48, spoke to 4 different people and they were wanting to transfer me to a 5th person, but I declined.  The first person said they couldn't find my info and was basically setting me up with new service.  They were asking me what phone service I wanted and what internet plan I wanted.  I told them I wanted exactly what I had.  She told me she didn't have access to that info and I would have to choose what plans I wanted.  She mentioned U-verse and that they had faster internet speeds and asked if I wanted to speak with them.  I agreed so I was transferred.  The lady that answered in the U-verse department walked me through what U-verse was and asked if I was interested.  This seemed to be much better than what I had so I had her go forward with the 18 mbps plan.  We went through the whole ordering process when at the very end, she said, "I'm so sorry.  We went through that whole process and it's not even offered in your area."  I told her I just wanted what I previously had re-activated.  She forwarded me to the finance department.  The guy in the finance department said I needed to make a payment of $11.34 before he could restore service to my home, which I agreed and paid with my debit card over the phone.  He said my service would be restored in 2 to 4 hours.  I had been asked by all reps for my 3-digit customer code, which I didn't have.  I asked the finance rep what my code was because I was at work and didn't have a copy of my bill with me and I was trying to sign up on-line to manage my account on the AT&T website and it was also asking for this info.  He forwarded me to another department.  The person that answered didn't fulfill my request for my 3-digit code and was going to forward me to another person when I told him to forget about it.  My service, phone and internet, never was restored so I called back on 1/13/12.  The automated operator supposedly transferred me to some department which never picked up.  I was on the phone for 14:38 before I decided to hand up and try again.  When I called back, I was directed to the U-verse department by the automated operator.  It asked if I was calling in reference to my U-verse account and I said yes.  The lady that answered was very pleasent and seemed to know a little bit more about things than any of the others I spoke with.  I asked her about my account and why my service wasn't restored like I was told it would be the day before.  She looked at my account and informed me that there were some things that were messed up and she'd straighten them out.  She told me I was mis-informed about U-verse in my area.  She said U-verse was the only service now available in my area and the DSL service I had prior to my house fire was no longer available.  She said that my area only went up to the 6 mbps plan and the faster speeds weren't available because AT&T needed to build a central office closer to my area.  I agreed to go the with the 6 mbps plan.  She then told me that my credit was checked and I was required to put down a $100 deposit and I would have to be set-up on auto bill pay if I was going to have my service restored.  This upset me because I'd been a loyal customer and due to the house fire, I had to temporarily alter my service.  Now trying to restore things to what they were, I was being treated as a new customer and being required to be set-up on auto pay and put down a deposit like I was someone AT&T could not trust.  Although I was upset about these changes to my billing requirements, I went forward with what she said I had to do.  She told me the new modem would arrive the next week and she had the install scheduled for 1/19/12.  She explained the install would include the tech setting up the equipment and making sure it was optimized for best performance.  She also said the phone service would be un-rolled from my wife's cell back to the land line on Monday, 1/16/12, which it was.  She offered me DireTv service which I responded that I already had.  She said I could bundle everything and get an overall cheaper price.  She asked if I wanted to be transferred to have this done.  I told her I'd call back later because at this point, I'd spent almost 2.5 hours on the phone with AT&T in 2 days just to get something as simple as having my service restored done.  I was on the phone with her for 45:57.  I received the modem and the day of the install came and went with no technician showing up to set up my equipment and optimizing my modem for best performance.  I called AT&T back on 1/20/12 to check on the install and answer some questions about my account because things didn't seem right.  Earlier in the week I had received 2 statements with 2 different account #'s on them.  One was an invoice and one was a credit.  I had also received a letter that stated AT&T wasn't able to provide service at this time which was odd because I had agreed to the change in billing requirements and a $100 deposit was deducted from my checking account.  I still had phone service so I though maybe this was an error.  As the rep was looking at my account, he said he noticed there were some issues on AT&T's side, some things weren't done right, and he would have those things fixed.  With regards to the install that was explained to me, he said the tech came out and did somethings in the box outside, but was never to come in the home and set up the equipment and make sure it was optimized.  He also said that my bills would be separate because AT&T offers U-verse internet in my area, but doesn't offer U-verse telephone.  This to me further weakens the relationship I have with AT&T and my opinion of them as a company and the service they provide to their customers.  Now, not only do I have to be set up on auto pay and put down a deposit on an account I've had for 9 years, my bills are going to be separate.  This does not make sense to me that I'm getting 2 services from "AT&T", but they can't be put on the same bill.  I explained to him that everyone has treated me as if I was a new customer and it was very disheartening.  I've been a loyal customer and even talked my father into switching from cable internet to DSL because of how please I'd been with the service.  Needless to say, my opinion has changed.  Regardless, the rep then continued to work to resolve the issue he said he'd noticed.  He had to forward me to a "Tier 2".  The "Tier 2" got into my account and noticed what was going on.  No one ever explained what the issue was other than saying the issue was AT&T's fault and they were going to fix it.  The rep put me on hold because he said he had to call the central office.  He was working with them while I was on hold and would occasionally click back over to tell me they were working on it.  Finally, after an hour, I asked him if it was necessary for me to be on the phone while they worked on it.  He said "No" and that he'd call me back when the issue was resolved.  I was on the phone for 1:08:10.  I never received a return phone call.  On 1/21/12, I hooked up my modem according to the instructions.  I never got a steady green light showing there was DSL.  I followed the trouble shooting instructions which didn't resolve the issue.  I opened up Internet Explorer and there was a Motorola message that said there was no DSL signal.  Apparently on 1/20/12, the issue was never resolved.

My wife and I are extremely disgusted about this whole process and how we've been treated lately.  Before all of this, we had been looking on-line about what all services could be bundled and were seriously interested in switching our wireless service to AT&T so that we could benefit from bundled savings and only get one bill for 4 services (home phone, internet, wireless and television).  Now my wife is begging that we drop the home phone because we both have cell phones and switch to cable internet.  A salesrep for the local cable service visited our home a couple of weeks ago and was offering great rates for cable phone, internet and television service.  Since these events have transpired, I've spoke to several people in my city who said they've had horrible customer service experiences with AT&T and it's extremely difficult to get anything done.

My loyalty is nearly gone at this point.  I'm reluctant to call back because I've been on the phone with AT&T for nearly 3.5 hours to only have my home phone un-forwarded and to feel like a new customer with a criminal past that AT&T doesn't want and doesn't trust.  I feel like another call would have the same result.

{subject edited as new topic was created}

Message 1 of 7 (1,115 Views)
Expert

Re: U-Verse Customer Service Problems

[ Edited ]

Send a PM to Alex who is an AT&T Community Manager on this forum.

Message 2 of 7 (1,105 Views)

[ Edited ]

Immediately! Call your bank and put a stop to the "auto pay" to AT&T! This is a sales ploy they have started using that is pure bologna. I Know, I EXPERIENCED it! They told  me the same line of garbage, that in order to qualify,,bla,bla,bla,,,so I agreed. And after 3 months of WAY overbilling my credit card, I called my bank, told them to remove AT&T from access to my account, and then called AT&T and told them to cancel my account because I would NEVER allow them to use their "Auto pay" scam on me again! They said, oh,,we are terribly sorry sir,,bla,bla,bla,,But you dont have to cancel, we can remove the auto pay from your account. Fact is, AT&T has had over 20,000 complaints filed against them last year with the FCC,  for these stupid actions that they have been doing. Somebody in upper management better get their head out of the clouds and correct these issues before AT&T becomes a thing of the past!

Message 3 of 7 (1,069 Views)

I have learned to call the retention department..I have just spent 1 hour and 24 minutes on the phone..

Message 4 of 7 (1,053 Views)
Community Manager

Thank you @texasguy37!

havenaw wrote:

I've tried to email the below message, but was unable to find a customer service email address anywhere on the website.  Instead, I had to register to post on this board which adds to my frustration that I'm having to spend more and more time than what I consider reasonable for what I think should take for what I'm needing to do: Restore my services when moving back in my home after damages were repaired that were a result of a house fire.

My house caught fire in Oct. '11.  My wife called and had the internet suspended and the phone forwarded to her cell while our house was being repaired and we were living in a hotel.  My wife said it was easy and the person that helped her was great to work with.  The majority of my home repairs are complete and now we're in the process of moving back in.  I contacted AT&T on 1/12/12 to have my service restored to my home (phone and internet).  I was on the phone for 1:14:48, spoke to 4 different people and they were wanting to transfer me to a 5th person, but I declined.  The first person said they couldn't find my info and was basically setting me up with new service.  They were asking me what phone service I wanted and what internet plan I wanted.  I told them I wanted exactly what I had.  She told me she didn't have access to that info and I would have to choose what plans I wanted.  She mentioned U-verse and that they had faster internet speeds and asked if I wanted to speak with them.  I agreed so I was transferred.  The lady that answered in the U-verse department walked me through what U-verse was and asked if I was interested.  This seemed to be much better than what I had so I had her go forward with the 18 mbps plan.  We went through the whole ordering process when at the very end, she said, "I'm so sorry.  We went through that whole process and it's not even offered in your area."  I told her I just wanted what I previously had re-activated.  She forwarded me to the finance department.  The guy in the finance department said I needed to make a payment of $11.34 before he could restore service to my home, which I agreed and paid with my debit card over the phone.  He said my service would be restored in 2 to 4 hours.  I had been asked by all reps for my 3-digit customer code, which I didn't have.  I asked the finance rep what my code was because I was at work and didn't have a copy of my bill with me and I was trying to sign up on-line to manage my account on the AT&T website and it was also asking for this info.  He forwarded me to another department.  The person that answered didn't fulfill my request for my 3-digit code and was going to forward me to another person when I told him to forget about it.  My service, phone and internet, never was restored so I called back on 1/13/12.  The automated operator supposedly transferred me to some department which never picked up.  I was on the phone for 14:38 before I decided to hand up and try again.  When I called back, I was directed to the U-verse department by the automated operator.  It asked if I was calling in reference to my U-verse account and I said yes.  The lady that answered was very pleasent and seemed to know a little bit more about things than any of the others I spoke with.  I asked her about my account and why my service wasn't restored like I was told it would be the day before.  She looked at my account and informed me that there were some things that were messed up and she'd straighten them out.  She told me I was mis-informed about U-verse in my area.  She said U-verse was the only service now available in my area and the DSL service I had prior to my house fire was no longer available.  She said that my area only went up to the 6 mbps plan and the faster speeds weren't available because AT&T needed to build a central office closer to my area.  I agreed to go the with the 6 mbps plan.  She then told me that my credit was checked and I was required to put down a $100 deposit and I would have to be set-up on auto bill pay if I was going to have my service restored.  This upset me because I'd been a loyal customer and due to the house fire, I had to temporarily alter my service.  Now trying to restore things to what they were, I was being treated as a new customer and being required to be set-up on auto pay and put down a deposit like I was someone AT&T could not trust.  Although I was upset about these changes to my billing requirements, I went forward with what she said I had to do.  She told me the new modem would arrive the next week and she had the install scheduled for 1/19/12.  She explained the install would include the tech setting up the equipment and making sure it was optimized for best performance.  She also said the phone service would be un-rolled from my wife's cell back to the land line on Monday, 1/16/12, which it was.  She offered me DireTv service which I responded that I already had.  She said I could bundle everything and get an overall cheaper price.  She asked if I wanted to be transferred to have this done.  I told her I'd call back later because at this point, I'd spent almost 2.5 hours on the phone with AT&T in 2 days just to get something as simple as having my service restored done.  I was on the phone with her for 45:57.  I received the modem and the day of the install came and went with no technician showing up to set up my equipment and optimizing my modem for best performance.  I called AT&T back on 1/20/12 to check on the install and answer some questions about my account because things didn't seem right.  Earlier in the week I had received 2 statements with 2 different account #'s on them.  One was an invoice and one was a credit.  I had also received a letter that stated AT&T wasn't able to provide service at this time which was odd because I had agreed to the change in billing requirements and a $100 deposit was deducted from my checking account.  I still had phone service so I though maybe this was an error.  As the rep was looking at my account, he said he noticed there were some issues on AT&T's side, some things weren't done right, and he would have those things fixed.  With regards to the install that was explained to me, he said the tech came out and did somethings in the box outside, but was never to come in the home and set up the equipment and make sure it was optimized.  He also said that my bills would be separate because AT&T offers U-verse internet in my area, but doesn't offer U-verse telephone.  This to me further weakens the relationship I have with AT&T and my opinion of them as a company and the service they provide to their customers.  Now, not only do I have to be set up on auto pay and put down a deposit on an account I've had for 9 years, my bills are going to be separate.  This does not make sense to me that I'm getting 2 services from "AT&T", but they can't be put on the same bill.  I explained to him that everyone has treated me as if I was a new customer and it was very disheartening.  I've been a loyal customer and even talked my father into switching from cable internet to DSL because of how please I'd been with the service.  Needless to say, my opinion has changed.  Regardless, the rep then continued to work to resolve the issue he said he'd noticed.  He had to forward me to a "Tier 2".  The "Tier 2" got into my account and noticed what was going on.  No one ever explained what the issue was other than saying the issue was AT&T's fault and they were going to fix it.  The rep put me on hold because he said he had to call the central office.  He was working with them while I was on hold and would occasionally click back over to tell me they were working on it.  Finally, after an hour, I asked him if it was necessary for me to be on the phone while they worked on it.  He said "No" and that he'd call me back when the issue was resolved.  I was on the phone for 1:08:10.  I never received a return phone call.  On 1/21/12, I hooked up my modem according to the instructions.  I never got a steady green light showing there was DSL.  I followed the trouble shooting instructions which didn't resolve the issue.  I opened up Internet Explorer and there was a Motorola message that said there was no DSL signal.  Apparently on 1/20/12, the issue was never resolved.

My wife and I are extremely disgusted about this whole process and how we've been treated lately.  Before all of this, we had been looking on-line about what all services could be bundled and were seriously interested in switching our wireless service to AT&T so that we could benefit from bundled savings and only get one bill for 4 services (home phone, internet, wireless and television).  Now my wife is begging that we drop the home phone because we both have cell phones and switch to cable internet.  A salesrep for the local cable service visited our home a couple of weeks ago and was offering great rates for cable phone, internet and television service.  Since these events have transpired, I've spoke to several people in my city who said they've had horrible customer service experiences with AT&T and it's extremely difficult to get anything done.

My loyalty is nearly gone at this point.  I'm reluctant to call back because I've been on the phone with AT&T for nearly 3.5 hours to only have my home phone un-forwarded and to feel like a new customer with a criminal past that AT&T doesn't want and doesn't trust.  I feel like another call would have the same result.

{subject edited as new topic was created}

Welcome and thank you for posting. I'm sorry to hear about the experience. I received your Private Message and replied with the information needed since this is account specific. Please check your Private Message inbox (blue envelope, top-right) for an update.  We'll get you in touch with the group that can help.

Regards,
Alex

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help others find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".
Message 5 of 7 (1,026 Views)
Contributor

I have been trying to get my collage age kid the internet for 6 weeks and i have been put through hel........... same story thst you have written about has happen to me

Message 6 of 7 (546 Views)
Highlighted
Community Support

Hello gdutton,

I am so sorry about all the inconveniences. We would be glad to help you out with this. If you could please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you.

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 7 (535 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.