U Verse. Best Speed Packet SCAM?

Highlighted
Contributor

U Verse. Best Speed Packet SCAM?

I dont know if this is the right forum to rant about my problem. But I will rant anyway. For years I am faced with this issue. I`m a gamer. I love video games and will do everything I can to get the best internet connection there is without getting a buisness line (which is too much to pay for). But it seems the more I pay for better internet, the less it works. Right now we have U-Verse and I think the promised download speed is 24megs. Now. I`m a computer guy, going to college studying NSA. I know you never ever get 24 megs. I got that. But should I not at least be sitting at 12 megs? I would be totally happy with 10 megs. But when I ping a server right next to my current city I get a response of 3 megs down and 1.5 megs upload. Why is my internet so bad? Remember, I`m paying for 24 but I get 3 megs at best. Now I have to share those 3 megs with a son who is on his Xbox and kindle, my daughter who is on her kindle, and my wife who also works from the house on her computer. Now if I had my 12-24megs I could handle these lag issues, but with 3 megs I cant do squat. I`m quit proud of myself for staying so calm writing this, because I`m really furious!!!

Message 1 of 6 (437 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: U Verse. Best Speed Packet SCAM?

[ Edited ]

THE-GERMAN wrote:

.... Right now we have U-Verse and I think the promised download speed is 24megs....

You think?  You're not sure?  There are several tiers of U-verse High Speed Internet service, maybe you could check and see before ranting.

THE-GERMAN wrote:

.... Now. I`m a computer guy, going to college studying NSA....

Congratulations.  I wish you the best.  How does one study "NSA" in college, BTW?

THE-GERMAN wrote:

...I know you never ever get 24 megs. I got that....

Actually, if you check these forums, you'd see that AT&T U-verse regularly over provisions and people on MaxTurbo routinely do get 24 Mbps and more.

THE-GERMAN wrote:

... But should I not at least be sitting at 12 megs? I would be totally happy with 10 megs. ...

That would depend on many factors.  Including whether or not you actually subscribe to the 24 Mbps service, whether or not you're doing other things on your connection while doing the speed test, whether you're doing the speed test on a wireless connection, whether the speed test is on an adequate client computer on your end, a reasonable server on the remote end, whether you're having a network connection issue, etc.

THE-GERMAN wrote:

...But when I ping a server right next to my current city I get a response of 3 megs down and 1.5 megs upload....

There's your problem right there.  You're trying to use a utility that reports latency (PING) to measure bandwidth.

THE-GERMAN wrote:

... Why is my internet so bad? Remember, I`m paying for 24 but I get 3 megs at best. Now I have to share those 3 megs with a son who is on his Xbox and kindle, my daughter who is on her kindle, and my wife who also works from the house on her computer. Now if I had my 12-24megs I could handle these lag issues, but with 3 megs I cant do squat. I`m quit proud of myself for staying so calm writing this, because I`m really furious!!!

Oh, you're sure you're paying for 24 Mbps now?  You didn't seem sure at the outset.  Maybe your son and daughter are watching videos while you're doing your speed test?  That wouldn't give you a very accurate bandwidth measurement.

And "lag" is associated with latency, which the closest you've come to talking about latency is when you mentioned you pinged a nearby server and reported a bandwidth result.

So... be proud of yourself for being calm.  Then please can we start over and try to answer some questions:

1. Are you the only thing using your network connection when you're doing a speed test?  If not, you need to make it that way.  No IPTV recording or watching (that can have an impact, in case you weren't aware).  No online backup, etc.
  2. Are you doing your tests from a PC connected via an Ethernet cable or wirelessly?  If not already, do tests with a wired PC for comparison.
  3. Use at least two different speed test services (my favorite is SpeedTest.net), and--if given the choice--use different remote servers.  I often find that a server in one city gives low results while many others in cities further away give better results.
  4. If you have a 2WIRE Residential Gateway (RG), download UV Realtime from http://www.UVRealtime.com, install it, run it and post screenshots of the IP/Profile tab, Bitloading tab, and Error Table tab.

To post screenshots in the forum, reply to this post and use the Insert/Edit Image button (it looks like a tree) in the post editor. One of us will look at your information and let you know what we think.
  5. Are your PCs and other devices connected wirelessly or directly via Ethernet cable to the RG or are you using other routers, switches and/or hubs?  Try connecting just the PC doing the test and see if that changes anything.
  6. Check your latest bill to see if you've ordered MaxTurbo HSI (that's the only tier that's 24 Mbps).  There are faster options and several slower ones.  What does the bill actually say?

If you can answer these questions, then we can get a better idea of what might be going and and give you useful advice on how to proceed, be that contact AT&T and tell them that we think Xxxx is wrong, or something for you to try yourself to fix the issue.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (420 Views)
ACE - Master

THE-GERMAN wrote:

I dont know if this is the right forum to rant about my problem. But I will rant anyway. For years I am faced with this issue. I`m a gamer. I love video games and will do everything I can to get the best internet connection there is without getting a buisness line (which is too much to pay for). But it seems the more I pay for better internet, the less it works. Right now we have U-Verse and I think the promised download speed is 24megs. Now. I`m a computer guy, going to college studying NSA. I know you never ever get 24 megs. I got that. But should I not at least be sitting at 12 megs? I would be totally happy with 10 megs. But when I ping a server right next to my current city I get a response of 3 megs down and 1.5 megs upload. Why is my internet so bad? Remember, I`m paying for 24 but I get 3 megs at best. Now I have to share those 3 megs with a son who is on his Xbox and kindle, my daughter who is on her kindle, and my wife who also works from the house on her computer. Now if I had my 12-24megs I could handle these lag issues, but with 3 megs I cant do squat. I`m quit proud of myself for staying so calm writing this, because I`m really furious!!!

To speak about "not getting what you pay for", I am currently subscribed to 12Mbps download/1.5Mbps upload.  While sitting here I opened a new tab in my browser and just ran a speed test.

I live in the far north Chicago suburbs (near the WI state line).  I chose a server in Minnisota City, MN (over 200 miles away).

My SpeedTest.net results were:

Ping Time: 33 msec

Download Speed:  15.33 Mbps

Upload Speed: 1.98 Mbps

Now obviously, I never get my 12 Mbps download or 1.5 Mbps upload speeds.

Now, when I re-test using a server less than 25 miles from home I get:

Ping Time: 58 msec

Download Speed: 10.68 Mbps

Upload Speed: 1.37 Mbps

I tried tsting with a server about 35-40 miles from home, and it hung during the download test never getting above 2.40 Mbps.  As you can see, the test results rely heavily on the server you are connecting to, and many of the "local" servers for me are over saturated, and do not perform very well, while I can get great responses from servers over 200 miles away.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6 (391 Views)
Contributor

JefferMC wrote:

You think?  You're not sure?  There are several tiers of U-verse High Speed Internet service, maybe you could check and see before ranting.

Yes. I`m sure. I signed up for 24 megs.

JefferMC wrote:

Congratulations.  I wish you the best.  How does one study "NSA" in college, BTW?

Sorry. I thought you knew what NSA stands for. I`m studying Network Systems Administration at ITT-Tech which is a Technical College.

Btw. I did my test while hard-wired. Not via wireless. Also did the test recently while family was out on vacation and my laptop being the only device connected to my internet. I will download the recommended app and post as adviced. More to come...

Message 4 of 6 (326 Views)
ACE - Expert

THE-GERMAN wrote:

Yes. I`m sure. I signed up for 24 megs.

Sorry. I thought you knew what NSA stands for. I`m studying Network Systems Administration at ITT-Tech which is a Technical College.

Btw. I did my test while hard-wired. Not via wireless. Also did the test recently while family was out on vacation and my laptop being the only device connected to my internet. I will download the recommended app and post as adviced. More to come...

Okay, thanks for clearing that up about NSA.  I thought the National Security Agency had developed a new recruiting tool.  Your original quote was "I think the promised download speed is 24megs" which is what drew my question asking if you were sure.  Words do have meanings.

So, you've addressed points 6, 1, 2 and 5 and you're going to look into 4.  I'd strongly suggest you look into #3 (different speedtests/servers) as well.

Message 5 of 6 (314 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

JefferMC wrote:
 I'd strongly suggest you look into #3 (different speedtests/servers) as well.

When you do this, make sure you try to find the AT&T speedtest.net servers for best results if you're close to one at these locations:

NYC, NY
Chicago, IL
Miami, FL
Atlanta, GA
Houston, TX
Austin, TX
Richardson, TX
Los Angeles, CA
San Francisco, CA
Charlotte, NC

Detroit, MI

I may be missing some.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
Message 6 of 6 (280 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.