Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 23, 2014
11:19:27 AM
View profile
U-VERSE Whats trending
Edited by shoe on Apr 23, 2014 at 11:20:34 AM

Showed up in the menu this morning what is it. When I click on it  It just spins and nothing happens

Showed up in the menu this morning what is it. When I click on it  It just spins and nothing happens

U-VERSE Whats trending

[ Edited ]
19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 11:58:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

shoe wrote:

Can you further explain?

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

shoe wrote:

Can you further explain?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: U-VERSE Whats trending

2 of 20 (1,019 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 12:08:09 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by qw545 on Apr 23, 2014 at 12:09:14 PM

It shows what's on 8 different channels and 2 U-verse movies.  They seem to be rather random, including major network channels and three I don't watch.  The three that I don't watch are a Nickelodeon channel, a Disney channel, and a Spanish language channel.

It shows what's on 8 different channels and 2 U-verse movies.  They seem to be rather random, including major network channels and three I don't watch.  The three that I don't watch are a Nickelodeon channel, a Disney channel, and a Spanish language channel.

[ Edited ]
3 of 20 (1,013 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 1:24:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dwinth wrote:

shoe wrote:

Can you further explain?

Sounds like a new TV feature via the "Menu" button.

dwinth wrote:

shoe wrote:

Can you further explain?

Sounds like a new TV feature via the "Menu" button.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 20 (982 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 3:51:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Apr 23, 2014 at 7:08:59 PM

u-verse what's trending is a useless junk app awarded second position on the main menu.
It adds another speed bump on the way to the favorites guide. Another wasted click.
There are no declopment resources available to fix the ENTER button that has been broken for 18 months, but there are resources to put more roadblocks in the way for access via the main menu.
Please make the ENTER button fix or move Favorites guide selection to the top of the main menu (where it should have been from the start) or, better yet, do both.
The addition of the U-verse whats trending app is another example of the lack of any usability analysis.

u-verse what's trending is a useless junk app awarded second position on the main menu.
It adds another speed bump on the way to the favorites guide. Another wasted click.
There are no declopment resources available to fix the ENTER button that has been broken for 18 months, but there are resources to put more roadblocks in the way for access via the main menu.
Please make the ENTER button fix or move Favorites guide selection to the top of the main menu (where it should have been from the start) or, better yet, do both.
The addition of the U-verse whats trending app is another example of the lack of any usability analysis.

[ Edited ]
5 of 20 (956 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 4:51:54 PM
(0)
Guru

I interpret "what's trending" to mean "what's popular" and I couldn't care less.  I noticed it for the first time today and opened it, but none of the "suggestions" interested me in the least.  So I can't imagine a reason to use it again, and like aviewer says, it is just one more obstacle to get to more useful items.  While I don't really use Favorites much, I would suggest getting rid of the what's trending feature altogether simply because it has no apparent usefulness--at least not to me.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

I interpret "what's trending" to mean "what's popular" and I couldn't care less.  I noticed it for the first time today and opened it, but none of the "suggestions" interested me in the least.  So I can't imagine a reason to use it again, and like aviewer says, it is just one more obstacle to get to more useful items.  While I don't really use Favorites much, I would suggest getting rid of the what's trending feature altogether simply because it has no apparent usefulness--at least not to me.

6 of 20 (937 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 3:26:26 PM
(0)
Scholar

I agree.

It bothers me how stuff like this shows up when I still have to press 10 buttons to get closed captions, when "More Showtimes" has been broken for years and when the on-demand functionality is too slow and too clunky to be useful. More features are better than less features, except this is no doubt a zero sum game - while developers are working on "Trending", they are ignoring other stuff.

I agree.

It bothers me how stuff like this shows up when I still have to press 10 buttons to get closed captions, when "More Showtimes" has been broken for years and when the on-demand functionality is too slow and too clunky to be useful. More features are better than less features, except this is no doubt a zero sum game - while developers are working on "Trending", they are ignoring other stuff.

7 of 20 (822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 6:24:26 AM
(0)
Professor

Do you have to have Uverse internet for this to work?

Do you have to have Uverse internet for this to work?

8 of 20 (782 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 7:29:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

aviewer wrote:

aviewer and docbombay - you all are  correct mostly useless.  AND the two top items are VoD titles and that makes this app, a profit generator, more than anything.  One possible gem here (and I'm stretching it a bit, into the "it could happen" category) would be if you see something out of place that is trending could be a sporting event that ran long or was hit with a channel change.

aviewer wrote:

aviewer and docbombay - you all are  correct mostly useless.  AND the two top items are VoD titles and that makes this app, a profit generator, more than anything.  One possible gem here (and I'm stretching it a bit, into the "it could happen" category) would be if you see something out of place that is trending could be a sporting event that ran long or was hit with a channel change.

9 of 20 (733 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2014 7:58:53 AM
(0)
Scholar

Tried it, and it's a cross between MultiView and the loop-video Comcast runs on their VOD.

Actually, I'd much rather have this "Trending" thing than the ads that are on each page of the Comcast Guide, which do the same thing -- redirects to those channels/shows.  That's what it reminds me of.  And if that's the case, where those networks are telling/paying AT&T to promote their shows via this Trending thing, that means once again our prices remain stable.  Nothing to complain about in that.

Yet something else that I will not be using.

Tried it, and it's a cross between MultiView and the loop-video Comcast runs on their VOD.

Actually, I'd much rather have this "Trending" thing than the ads that are on each page of the Comcast Guide, which do the same thing -- redirects to those channels/shows.  That's what it reminds me of.  And if that's the case, where those networks are telling/paying AT&T to promote their shows via this Trending thing, that means once again our prices remain stable.  Nothing to complain about in that.

10 of 20 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2014 10:38:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

vid30jk wrote:

I'd be willing to bet that other than the VoD it may actually be a stream count tool.  Saturday's NASCAR race at Richmond was showing as the number 1 trending, non VoD show and that is probably correct, IMO.

vid30jk wrote:

I'd be willing to bet that other than the VoD it may actually be a stream count tool.  Saturday's NASCAR race at Richmond was showing as the number 1 trending, non VoD show and that is probably correct, IMO.

11 of 20 (683 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2014 12:19:23 PM
(0)
Scholar

This am when I posted above, the 1-2-3 positions were all of the Sunday talking heads shows on the networks, ranking FOX, NBC, and ABC, respectively.  Number 5 was a Disney show, 6 a Nickelodeon show, and I think 8 was CBS' Faze the Nation.

Currently have it up at 310pm, and the list looks like this:

1. NBA Playoffs--ABC

2. NHL Playoffs--NBC

3. Access Hollywood--FOX

4. HGTV show

5. Disney show

6. Nickelodeon show

7. MLB Baseball on FSN, but it's rained out, not rescheduled yet

8. Law & Order SVU--USA

About the only thing I noticed that changed this am was the advertised VOD movies at the top of the screen.  After initial tune-in, one around 20 min later showed 2 different titles, with everything else the same.

My list's similarities are in the Disney & Nick shows, as they are in the same positions, around 5 hours later.  The HGTV show moved up the list from the am.

OK, who wants to advance the next theory for consideration? Smiley LOL

This am when I posted above, the 1-2-3 positions were all of the Sunday talking heads shows on the networks, ranking FOX, NBC, and ABC, respectively.  Number 5 was a Disney show, 6 a Nickelodeon show, and I think 8 was CBS' Faze the Nation.

Currently have it up at 310pm, and the list looks like this:

1. NBA Playoffs--ABC

2. NHL Playoffs--NBC

3. Access Hollywood--FOX

4. HGTV show

5. Disney show

6. Nickelodeon show

7. MLB Baseball on FSN, but it's rained out, not rescheduled yet

8. Law & Order SVU--USA

About the only thing I noticed that changed this am was the advertised VOD movies at the top of the screen.  After initial tune-in, one around 20 min later showed 2 different titles, with everything else the same.

My list's similarities are in the Disney & Nick shows, as they are in the same positions, around 5 hours later.  The HGTV show moved up the list from the am.

OK, who wants to advance the next theory for consideration? Smiley LOL

12 of 20 (671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2014 12:30:51 PM
(0)
Professor
I will ask again do you need Uverse internet for this feature to work?

13 of 20 (669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2014 12:52:40 PM
(0)
Scholar

shoe wrote:

Can anyone tell us if this is the case?

I have HSI and TV so anyone with TV only or TV/Voice, does this What's Trending thing work for you?

shoe wrote:

I have HSI and TV so anyone with TV only or TV/Voice, does this What's Trending thing work for you?

14 of 20 (665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 7:27:01 AM
(0)
Mentor

The What's Trending tool seems to be how many people are watching a certain channel in your television market. 

In Los Angeles at 7:15 am, the trending channels are:

1. ABC Good Morning America- KABC

2. KTLA Morning News - KTLA

3. Today - KNBC

4. CBS This Morning- KCBS

5. Good Day L.A. - KTTV

6.  Despierta America- KMEX

7. Ella the Elephant- Disney

8. SpongeBob - Nick

I know during nielsen ratings period, the first 6 channels are how they finish based on number of viewers at 7:00 am. I took a look at this feature yesterday and whenever KABC Eyewitness News was on, it was in the number 1 position which is always the most watched newscast in Los Angeles.

So based on the above, it appears the whats trending feature as someone else mentioned is based on the number of u-verse viewers of a channel. 

The What's Trending tool seems to be how many people are watching a certain channel in your television market. 

In Los Angeles at 7:15 am, the trending channels are:

1. ABC Good Morning America- KABC

2. KTLA Morning News - KTLA

3. Today - KNBC

4. CBS This Morning- KCBS

5. Good Day L.A. - KTTV

6.  Despierta America- KMEX

7. Ella the Elephant- Disney

8. SpongeBob - Nick

I know during nielsen ratings period, the first 6 channels are how they finish based on number of viewers at 7:00 am. I took a look at this feature yesterday and whenever KABC Eyewitness News was on, it was in the number 1 position which is always the most watched newscast in Los Angeles.

So based on the above, it appears the whats trending feature as someone else mentioned is based on the number of u-verse viewers of a channel. 

15 of 20 (619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 8:24:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by baseballisback on Apr 28, 2014 at 8:25:39 AM

Wouldn't you think that oh, I don't know, a COMMUNICATION COMPANY might actually *gasp* communicate with their customers what stuff is, and possibly, how to get it, when they add it?

*channel gets added*

*announcement via press release, email and on-screen dealy to alert to new channel at channel number(s) and what package it's on.*

Heck, they could also use Twitter and Facebook too.

Wouldn't you think that oh, I don't know, a COMMUNICATION COMPANY might actually *gasp* communicate with their customers what stuff is, and possibly, how to get it, when they add it?

*channel gets added*

*announcement via press release, email and on-screen dealy to alert to new channel at channel number(s) and what package it's on.*

[ Edited ]
16 of 20 (615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 9:21:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

vid30jk wrote:

shoe wrote:

I have the same set up, so no idea, shoe.

vid30jk wrote:

shoe wrote:

I have the same set up, so no idea, shoe.

17 of 20 (593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 9:24:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

baseballisback wrote:

*channel gets added*

That's AT&T for you - lousy at communicating changes or additions until WAY after the change / addition has occured.  Kinda sad.

baseballisback wrote:

*channel gets added*

That's AT&T for you - lousy at communicating changes or additions until WAY after the change / addition has occured.  Kinda sad.

18 of 20 (592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 11:47:23 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by vid30jk on Apr 28, 2014 at 11:03:01 PM

dhascall wrote:

baseballisback wrote:

*channel gets added*

*facepalm*

Come on, DH ....

Name when any other company does what you guys are complaining about EVERY time something changes or gets updated.  Let me make it even easier:  Tell us when your previous provider before Uverse did, consistently.

Listen .... you guys would be all up in arms if AT&T was putting out constant "Press select to remove this message" overlays -- BUT they would be doing EXACTLY what you want them to do.

I'm guessing by the way this thread is going that both of you are NOT going to be using the "Uverse Trending" anytime soon, or make it part of your watching TV processes.  So in this case, it makes NO difference if they told you about it in advance or not.

Besides, if AT&T thought this was yet another of their great innovations to improve everyone's viewing experience, you can bet your bippie they'd have been blabbing about it from all over.  Says it all since they didn't, doesn't it?

Off my meds, sorry.

dhascall wrote:

baseballisback wrote:

*channel gets added*

*facepalm*

Come on, DH ....

Name when any other company does what you guys are complaining about EVERY time something changes or gets updated.  Let me make it even easier:  Tell us when your previous provider before Uverse did, consistently.

Listen .... you guys would be all up in arms if AT&T was putting out constant "Press select to remove this message" overlays -- BUT they would be doing EXACTLY what you want them to do.

I'm guessing by the way this thread is going that both of you are NOT going to be using the "Uverse Trending" anytime soon, or make it part of your watching TV processes.  So in this case, it makes NO difference if they told you about it in advance or not.

Besides, if AT&T thought this was yet another of their great innovations to improve everyone's viewing experience, you can bet your bippie they'd have been blabbing about it from all over.  Says it all since they didn't, doesn't it?

Off my meds, sorry.

[ Edited ]
19 of 20 (567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2014 12:25:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

vid30jk wrote:

dhascall wrote:

baseballisback wrote:

*channel gets added*

*facepalm*

Come on, DH ....

Off my meds, sorry.

Thought so.  CVS and Walgreens have reminders on when to take them. Smiley Tongue

Since I subscribed to U-Verse in the Fall of 2008 and joined this community, earlier that year, many forum members have scratched their heads why AT&T doesn't create buzz ahead of a rollout, instead of months after.  That must be their "strategy."

vid30jk wrote:

dhascall wrote:

baseballisback wrote:

*channel gets added*

*facepalm*

Come on, DH ....

Off my meds, sorry.

Thought so.  CVS and Walgreens have reminders on when to take them. Smiley Tongue

Since I subscribed to U-Verse in the Fall of 2008 and joined this community, earlier that year, many forum members have scratched their heads why AT&T doesn't create buzz ahead of a rollout, instead of months after.  That must be their "strategy."

20 of 20 (497 Views)