Troubleshooting inconsistent internet

Teacher

Troubleshooting inconsistent internet

Hello there, I had a few questions with my router.

So long story short, for some reason the internet I get on my computer is not reliable (in terms of gaming).  I am paying for 12 mb down.  According to speed tests on the downstairs computer, we get around that speed (11.5ish give or take, not a big deal.)  However on my computer upstairs, the speeds flucuate from 1.5 to 10.  It's never consistent.  When I'm playing a game, it seems like when I'm recieving a lot of data from the game servers is when it starts to lag the most.  For example, I can run around (usually) in Diablo and talk to characters and their dialogues will load properly.  But if I were to go fight a boss and have 40 minions spawning and spamming all of my spells, I seem to lose complete connection, everything just stops for a minute, and after that minute all the actions that happened between then and now will happend in one big explosion and I will catch up to real time.  (This happens in other games as well, it isn't isolated to Diablo.)

So here's my question: I want to find out if my poor internet is due to a lack of range, or if my adapter is just inneficient.  How can I go about finding this out?  I know the wifi bar in the bottom right of windows is always full at 5 bars.  I'm not sure if that's an accurate or real time measurement, so I can't be sure on the range issue.  The effiency of my adapter is where I'm more concerned.  How can I figure this out? I can tell you I have a Netgear WNDA3100v2 N600 Wireless Dual Band USB adapter.

Can anyone help guide this problem? I'm not sure if I supplied enough or correct information. Help appreciated.

Message 1 of 5 (644 Views)
Mentor

Re: Troubleshooting inconsistent internet

[ Edited ]

Is your upstairs computer wired? or wireless if it was wireless could be signal/channel interference? maybe change channel selection to manual. Or someone could be using a microwave or a device turn on at a specific time and cause he issue. if it was wired, i'd say there is something wrong for sure. and probably need a tech to check it out.

Edit: ah just read you mention your wifi bar, so I guess your wireless.... in that case it could be interference of something in the house. I know that in my house when other computers using the wifi and i use my bad old microwave, some computers might lose signal or lag realllly bad gaming. I check your channels for the best one.

Message 2 of 5 (581 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Ya I would count out channel interference and other things like that. I've messed with channels before and it never helped. Also theres nothing in the way between my adapter and the router besides walls. (Not sure if thats how the signal works, just a thought.) This also happens when I'm the only one up, nothing else is on.
Here's some additional info; I actually just did a traceroute to the game I was playing.
Tracing route to 12.129.209.68 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 1ms 1ms 1ms homeportal
2 64ms 95ms 31ms lightspeed.xxx.sbcglobal.net
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 27ms 27ms 28ms 12.83.43.25
5 73ms 75ms 72ms gar20.la2ca.ip.att.net
6 73ms 73ms 72ms 12-122-254-234.attens.net
7 72ms 75ms 73ms mdf001c7613r0002.lax1.attens.net
8 73ms 72ms 72ms 12.129.209.68

Trace complete.

The obvious observation here is the timed out. Any thoughts on that? My understanding is that it messes up right after leaving my house?
Another observation is all the pings add up to quite a large amount. Can it really be that bad? I used to play online games at 30ms ping with 3mb down and 6mb down internet speeds. I keep on having issues with this 12 mb down speed.
So can anyone guide my in this trace route?

Edit: Just to put this out there, wired isn't really possible for my situation.  I'm trying to optimize wireless so I can actually play online.

Message 3 of 5 (525 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

True story:

I had a tech once who came over to fix my internet and I had him switch out the modem too. Things ran fine since i was wired then I started testing my other devices thru-out the house and the signal was pretty bad! It was weird, I had 2 laptops right next to each other but 1 laptop would have wayy better signal strength than the other, and I log into WoW, and it was terribad lag. Ran out and got the tech to come back in and check out the modem going bad he gave and we swtiched it again for another one and BOOM! prefecto signal. Tried gaming and no lag. We figure the modem was going bad and it was refurbished  too!! the perfecto one was trully new. So it could be as simple as a bad modem/router u got.

Message 4 of 5 (515 Views)
Employee

Hello ChiFutbol,

I'm sorry about the wireless connectivity issues you are experiencing. I will be glad to help you establish a better connection and replace your gateway if necessary. I sent you a Private Message to continue assisting you.

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 5 (447 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.