Transfer recordings to new Receiver

Transfer recordings to new Receiver

[ Edited ]

Why, as the customer, am I punished when I have to have the leased equipment replaced and I cannot transfer shows that I have recorded to a new att box? 

Seems like your simply screwing the customer.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 1 of 13 (8,212 Views)
Employee

Re: Transfer recordings to new Receiver

The DVR is a TEMPORARY STORAGE DEVICE, if you desire a more permanent solution, need to transfer to a different type of storage such as DVD or media hard drive.

As a leased unit, replacement of for repairs or returning of when cancelling service means the recordings are temporary.
If programming you wish to own, may wish to consider purchasing the DVD offerings for personal library or investing in recording equipment.

Best practice, is record, watch, erase....
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 13 (8,201 Views)
Scholar

Well... no. I disagree with this completely.

For a company whose motto is "Rethink Possible", this thinking is right out of the 80's. It would be a  trivial programming challenge to create a method whereby programs can be uploaded to the cloud, then downloaded to a new device. Heck, this is exactly what Apple does when you get a new iPad. Time Warner is already experimenting with a cloud based DVR to facilitate the implementation of such concepts. Heck, all they would really have to do is allow access to an external hard drive and users could do their own back ups. In an era where a 2tb hard drive costs less than $100, these restrictions are silly.  

When U-Verse first came out, it allowed you to do things no one else could. It continued innovating right up until around 2 or 3 years ago and then presumably they adopted a new business model of "good enough" both in terms of capability and programming. That might be best for the bottom line, but don't let anyone tell you that a simple requirement to not lose all of your recordings when your hard drive breaks can't be done and that your best use for a DVR is "Record, Watch, Erase".  When 80gb hard drives were standard 5 years ago, that might be true. Not so much today. My two cents...

Message 3 of 13 (8,150 Views)
ACE - Expert

There's so much half-thought-out here.

1) If your old DVR is broken, there's no recovering the contents at that point, so... it must be backed up before then.

2) So, before the DVR fails, you must upload everything stored on the DVR,

3) Since you never know when the DVR is going to fail, you have to keep a copy of everything on the DVR,

4) Since upload rates are much smaller than download rates, you won't be able to do that by uploading it from the DVR, you'll have to make that copy in the cloud at the same time the DVR does it,

5) Doing what #4 requires has been challenged in court and the outcome is still murky, so AT&T may not want to go this route due to this,

6) Doing what #4 requires means that AT&T now needs to find 5,000,000 times the average size of DVR hard drive in disk space to mirror what every IPTV subscriber has in their home (lest you say they can make only one copy, this is even more sketchy in terms of what is allowed than the private copies in #4)

7) After replacing the failed hard drive, the content must be re-downloaded to the box; content that has taken months to build up "cannot simply" be downloaded back into the box in a matter of minutes.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 13 (8,137 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

my thoughts wrote:
The DVR is a TEMPORARY STORAGE DEVICE, if you desire a more permanent solution, need to transfer to a different type of storage such as DVD or media hard drive.

As a leased unit, replacement of for repairs or returning of when cancelling service means the recordings are temporary.
If programming you wish to own, may wish to consider purchasing the DVD offerings for personal library or investing in recording equipment.

Best practice, is record, watch, erase....

Well, those are "your thoughts."  Clever one.

At any rate, a temporary, record, watch, erase strategy is how the company envisions the DVR's use  but if AT&T did its due diligence (and some market research), it would find that is most likely not how the customer envisions the DVR. 

I would be willing to bet that upwards of 2/3 or maybe even 75% of customers use the DVR more than a box to record, watch and erase.  They use the DVR to store a handful of important-to-them programs.  You speak of transferring to DVD or other media.  That is not sanctioned by AT&T, i.e. there are no step by guides to doing that, at uverse.com. 

Long story short: TV Providers would better serve their customers, by finding a way to move programming from an outgoing DVR to a new one.  That would be a "killer app."  And those are my thoughts, lol. Smiley Tongue

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 13 (8,136 Views)
Scholar

Jeff -

You are making this WAY too complicated. If I had an external hard drive capability, I could back up my recordings the same way I back up my computer hard drives, easier in fact since it would not need to be selective and restore could be an all or none proposition. Moreover, such a function could probably be added with software so you wouldn't even need to scrap the existing DVR's. Finally, if the backup capability is of AT*T's design, they could encrypt the backup so it's only usable if restored to a registered DVR. Really, not rocket science - what is lacking is the will, not the technology.

Message 6 of 13 (8,124 Views)
ACE - Expert

I'm not sure of this, but I'm betting that those USB ports on the boxes are hardware limited to USB 1.1.  Ever seen the transfer rate specs of USB 1.1?  Theoretical "high speed" transfer of 12 Mbps, or just twice the HD down rate.  So, are you going to be willing to spend 25 hours backing up 50 hours of HD recordings?

Message 7 of 13 (8,122 Views)
Scholar

Ever seen the transfer rate specs of USB 1.1?  Theoretical "high speed" transfer of 12 Mbps, or just twice the HD down rate.  So, are you going to be willing to spend 25 hours backing up 50 hours of HD recordings?

Sure. Why not? It's better than what I have now.

Message 8 of 13 (8,106 Views)
ACE - Expert

How often will you be willing to do this?  What viewing restrictions will you accept while this is going on?

So, you ask, why not just write the  recordings to the USB drive in the first place?  Same issue: do you want to be limited to 1 (maybe 2) HD streams at the same time for recording AND playback?

I wish AT&T would do something about this issue, too.  However, I want people to realize that it's not as simple as they might think.

Message 9 of 13 (8,080 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

Also, what type of processing power does the DVR have in it?  I'm sure the CPU isn't much and bare bones minimum just to get by.  Add other functions such as backing up to external device and the DVR takes a crap while trying to add extra tasks?

I know the memory load is almost maxed just during normal operations. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Message 10 of 13 (8,071 Views)
Scholar

If an online backup service can back up my computer hard drive over the Internet, AT*T can back up my recordings to a locally connected hard drive or to the cloud.

Again, it would be a simply matter of programming (SMOP) to realize when the DVR is not otherwise engaged and use those time slots (e.g. middle of the night) to perform the backup. Indeed, the box knows when it is going to be recording something so it could even avoid those slots if necessary.

Personally, I'd prefer a cloud based solution since than you can watch your recordings from anywhere. Eventually, all major providers will do this. If AT*T was the innovation power it was in this space 4 years ago, they would be first but alas, they evidently feel that their service is "good enough".

Message 11 of 13 (8,041 Views)
ACE - Expert

There were reports of AT&T developing a cloud-based DVR over a year ago.  That may or may not have been, or still be, an actual occurence.

But consider... cloud based DVR viewing would likely count against your stream count (though recordings no longer would).  Viewing/rewinding/FF may be less responsive when a WAN is involved vs local.  Allowances would have to be made for the greatly increased traffic throughout the plant from the VHO to the VRAD.

Message 12 of 13 (8,038 Views)
Contributor

I have 8-10 recordings on my DVR of a program's only season that's not available on DVD. If I had my old VHS recorder I could have recorded straight to a cassette. There were no complaints about copyright etc back then. Why can't I do it now? It's just 10 episodes!

Message 13 of 13 (4,482 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.