To enable WPS button on 3801HGV, what is the WPS PIN?

Contributor

To enable WPS button on 3801HGV, what is the WPS PIN?

To enable WPS button on 3801HGV, what is the WPS PIN?  I want to enable the WPS button, but when I go in to change the settings, it is asking for the WPS PIN.  I don't know what the PIN is, does anyone know where I get that number?

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert

Re: To enable WPS button on 3801HGV, what is the WPS PIN?

suzer3000 - WPS is supposed to be an easy way of adding a device to a network. Seems like including the need for a PIN makes it complicated. Why not just add the device using the wizard built in to the device - selecting the network, by network ID and then entering the password??

Are you sure you are asking about the WPS PIN?? The 3801 may be asking for the access password to allow you make the change. This is the Device Access Code on the bottom or the 3801. The last on the list.

There are three or four ways to enable WPS, forget the last two. The first is the PIN. So, you should be making up the PIN & entering when enabling, so that you can also enter it in the new device to add it. sounds to me the same as normal adding. Actuallly, it sounds like thereverse of normal adding - Look for a PIN on your new device & enter it in the 3801 so you can add the device to the network.

The second way is the simple way Push the WPS button on the new device. Push the button on the 3801 (when WPS has been enabled) & the two shake hands & allow the new device to join the network. If your new device does not already have a PIN you would need  a way to add the one you choose or use the push button method or don't use WPS at all.

You do not want to leave WPS enabled on the 3801. Only enable it when you want to use it. Then turn it iff. Here is the wikipedia description -

PIN Method, in which a personal identification number (PIN) has to be read from either a sticker or the display on the new wireless device. This PIN must then be entered at the "representant" of the network, usually the access point of the network. Alternately, a PIN on the Access Point may be entered into the new device. The PIN Method is the mandatory baseline mode; every Wi-Fi Protected Setup certified product must support it.

Push-Button-Method, in which the user simply has to push a button, either an actual or virtual one, on both the access point and the new wireless client device. Support of this mode is mandatory for access points and optional for connecting devices.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. It all makes sense.

The issue is I am trying to enable the WPS button the 3801, that's the
device that's asking for a PIN. Without that number, I can't move forward
with enabling the WPS button on the 3801. But where/what is that number?
Is it on the 3801? Is it a number associated with the U-Verse/ATT account?

Any ideas?
Message 3 of 4
ACE - Expert

suzer3000 - OK, I went to the GUI - I believe the WPS PIN field is for you to enter whatever you want to use to synch the new device and the 3801. It would only be restricted if you cannot enter it in the new device. If that device has a pin already set, use that.

After I changed disabled to enabled and entered pin 1234, I scrolled down to the submit button. When I clicked that, it requires entry of the password that is on the bottom of the 3801.

You do not need to use a pin. the WPS is open only for the few minutes it takes the two devices to (automatically) synch up after you push the WPS button.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support