Ask a question

Posted Aug 22, 2013
    10:02:12 PM
    View profile
    Tips have started appearing on multiple tv's when powering off.

In the past week or so, when I turn my tv and uverse box off and sometimes on using the uverse remote, the box turns off, but my tv is left on with some stup tip about how to change email passwords, etc. It's something new, it's on multiple TV's and it's caused me to accidentaly go off and leave TV's powered on overnight because I didn't notice. It's very annoying, it's stupid and I want it to stop!!!

Tips have started appearing on multiple tv's when powering off.

8 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (8)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 22, 2013 10:12:17 PM
    (0)
    Employee
    Part of newer updates, when settop off (sleep) normally received blue screen press ok , now same blue screen with tips.
    This occurs when tv is ON, box is off. Just need to turn TV off, generally happens when both devices out of sync, to sync depress OK, pic on, depress ATT top left f remote, depress power. Both units now off (no green power l on far left side of STB)
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Tips have started appearing on multiple tv's when powering off.

2 of 9 (800 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 23, 2013 4:01:09 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Since the Blue Screen is also your screen saver, it will appear if you've paused a recorded program for a long(er) period of time.

Scenario:  You are watching a recording of Bridezillas and your long-winded sister-in-law calls you.  You hit the Pause button HOPING that it'll be a short call but, alas, she rattles on.  Before you know it, the blue screen with the "tips" appears.  Not to fear, your program will pick up once you get her OFF THE PHONE!*

*...not that this is based on any true experience or anything....

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (781 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 23, 2013 8:42:37 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

I'm aware of what happens when the tv and box are out of sync and I have to deal with the seperately becuase I had the remote pointed in an odd direction. This is a new problem.

4 of 9 (760 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 23, 2013 9:14:47 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Think of the Blue Screen with Tips as your screensaver now.  It'll either appear when your TV/STB is out of sync OR if your recording goes to 'standby'. 

Either way, it's there and there's nothing you can do about it or change it.  Just ignore it if it annoys you.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 9 (753 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 23, 2013 9:26:54 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    paulbpilot - Your first posts says the TV does not go off when you press the power button on the remote. Your second post says you are aware of the STB NOT going on when you press the power button. You say they are NOT the same thing. But, they ARE. They both have to do with whether or not your device sees the IR power toggle signal from the remote.

The TV does not turn off because it does not see the signal. The STB does not turn on because it does not see the signal.

When you press the power button the remote sends a power toggle for the STB followed by one for the TV. These should work, but the IR signal could be corrupted by ambient light. Since it is affecting both your devices, it is probably not IR corruption. Another possibility is that the remote is no longer sending both IR signals - Look at the att & TV buttons to see if the both flash when you press the power button. You can see the actual IR if you look at the transmitters with a digital camera.

If it is a sometimes thing, you do have some choices -
    Carefully aim at both the STB and the TV for the whole time it is transmitting IR.
    You could change the order of activity - Instead of STB - TV - You could make it TV - STB.
    You could change it so it only sends for the mode selected - This lets you do the STB and TV separately - Takes more effort and concentration - But, you will be paying attention.
    The last issue is - Is the problem a low signal or a high signal. Both can cause problems.

If it is a high signal try aiming at a back wall, floor or ceiling.

If it is a low signal, try fresh batteries or a Logitech Harmony remote ( It generates a stronger IR signal)

I know you do not know which of these possibilities is your problem. The only way to find out is try them.

6 of 9 (747 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 23, 2013 9:54:26 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

So you're telling me that for the past four years I've been aiming my remotes correctly, and that suddently in the past few weeks i'm not. Really?

7 of 9 (741 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 23, 2013 10:10:24 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    paulbpilot - I am am only going by what you say - You say the U-verse remote does not turn off your TV, even though it used to. The only thing this has to do with U-verse is the remote. Did you try the new batteries?? How about the TV remote. does that work? Use that instead of the U-verse remote. Or, check out the other possibilities. Did you put a clock in front of the TV?? When I move my caller ID display to the wrong place it blocks the TV IR sensor.

8 of 9 (736 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 23, 2013 10:31:50 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    paulbpilot - Another thought - Are you a smoker?? Maybe wash the IR sensor on the TV.

9 of 9 (726 Views)