Time Warner Cable Adds 'Broadcast TV Fee' to Its Bills

Scholar

Time Warner Cable Adds 'Broadcast TV Fee' to Its Bills

This is the equivalent strategy to when airlines, recognizing that customers were finely attuned to ticket prices, simply started charging for everything else and hoping that you wouldn't notice. Soft drinks, early boarding, slightly bigger seat, Internet, baggage and talking to a human to book a flight are all fair game. Now, cable TV companies are doing the same thing. Mandatory equipment "rentals", broadcast TV fees, a variety of other fees and on and on. Interesting strategy, but as this article illustrates, it is industry wide and not just AT*T.

How we went from "must carry" to this is a mystery to me...  Of course, with TWC, at least you get the digital subchannels...

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/2014/02/time-warner-cable-adds-broadca.php

Message 1 of 6
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

Re: Time Warner Cable Adds 'Broadcast TV Fee' to Its Bills

You might want to look at your U-Verse bill. The broadcast TV fee has been on there for a while.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
Employee

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 6
ACE - Master

marcindublin wrote:

How we went from "must carry" to this is a mystery to me...  

No mystery.  The station has a choice,.  Either accept "must carry" and be carried on all local cable systems but receive no compensation OR deny must carry and bargain with each cable co., separately. See this for information.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6
Scholar

Time Warner Cable is horrific. I installed a Digital Adapter for my sister because their basic hookup is being encrypted, digitalized so you have to rent a special adapter in order to watch basic cable now. First year is free, then there will be a fee.

Going thru channels, the only thing they have that U-Verse doesn't is Al Jazeera America, and Hallmark Channel. AJAM is a must watch. Their content is interesting, not to mention informative. It's a shame U-Verse doesn't carry it. 

They had a big carriage dispute that lasted MONTHS with the local NBC affiliate. That one was WTMJ, Channel 4 Milwaukee. Now they settled that agreement, but instead of WTMJ being back on Channel 4 where it has been forever, they decided to sell the Channel 4 spot to Game Show Network (GSN) and when WTMJ was put back on the lineup, it was put on Channel 83.

They also went ahead and took one of the local PBS affiliates and moved it from Channel 16 to somewhere in the 900s. I'm guessing that's where the "Must Carry" channels go. 

Their DVRs are also sacks of junk. Always screwing up. I went thru about 8 of them during my time having their service. 

When I first got Time Warner Digital Cable in 2001, it was a decent service. Things were great. No problems at all. But after they started buying out more and more systems and consolidating everything, everything on the TV side went down the toilet.

Internet service is fine. It's all we have that will give me upload speeds of 5mbps (I'd go with U-Verse, but I can't find anything over 1 up) 

I think moving the PBS affiliate to digital-only in the 900s was the last straw that made me cancel their service and move to U-Verse in 2011. The channel selection on U-Verse is better. 

Message 5 of 6
ACE - Master

I pay for my dad and step mom to have TWC, in North Carolina.  Luckily no digitizing boxes yet.  I only get them their loss leader basic cable - and it's as "1980's" as it gets. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support