Thinking of ordering Uverse internet only. What router do they ship?

Teacher

Thinking of ordering Uverse internet only. What router do they ship?

I wanted to order $14.99DSL in my area (06708) but the phone rep says that I can only get Uverse there.

She said that they have a promo for the same price (1.5mspeed) but I had to get their modem and a 1year commitment.

What modem are they shipping me? I need this service for a home automation/cctv system that is going to be direct wired (dont need wifi).

I need to find out if the device they send me if its a "router" can do port forwarding to an internal IP. I understand it is dynamic IP.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5 (598 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: Thinking of ordering Uverse internet only. What router do they ship?

From the sounds of things the modem will likely be a Motorola NVG 510.

The NVG 510 does perform routing functions (but not for the 10.0.0.0/8 subnet, if that's important to you), and may be connected to wired (4 ports) and wirelessly.  You can port forward a port through to an internal address of your choice.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5 (574 Views)
Teacher

That is unfortunate. Googling that moto modem shows that device does not have a good rep. Has it been updated with a better firmware lately?

Has anyone been able to ask for and get the PACE modem instead? That one seems to be better reviewed.

I would like to be able to just use a normal off the shelf DSL modem but the phone rep made it sound like this is not an option. :-/

Thanks

-chris

Message 3 of 5 (509 Views)
Mentor

maybe you can ask for the Motorola 3801hgv; that is the one Im using. I just use it for internet.

Message 4 of 5 (483 Views)
Employee

That would hot work for the OP situation, the 3801 is a leased unit versus purchased, is only for VDSL circuits (3,6,12,18,24)Internet and TV services unless on a loop lengthgreater than 2200 feet but less than 3000 feet.

The OP would be ADSL2+ on 1.5 M internet and currently the 510 is the modem being shipped, the Pace 5031 is the other possibility supporting both VDSL and ADSL2+ for internet only or voip and internet only .
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 5 (471 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.