Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 21, 2014
6:21:00 PM
View profile
Thinking of getting Uverse! One question though.
Edited by mmoon24 on Apr 21, 2014 at 6:22:31 PM

Hey everyone, I'm going to be brief as possible. For starters, I do not trust any customer service rep over the phone or through the AT&T website to answer these questions, hence why I'm asking it here.

Currently a FIOS customer. They aren't playing nice with the bill in relation to what they offer. Uverse is FINALLY in our area, so been taking a look at them. Been thinking of getting the TV+Internet+phone. I have one important question.

1. The highest package they offer right now is the 18/1.5. Compared to my FIOS 15/5, this looks like an improvement. HOWEVER, I've read on these forums that watching or recording HD shows knocks off about 6 mbps from your connection. Is this true? We have two HD TVs at our home, 4 laptops streaming music or youtube, cell phones connected, consoles, just the whole nine yards during peak hours. If push comes to shove, recording 3-4 shows + doing all those other things cause trouble?

I am not sure if FIOS plays by the same rule where watching HDTV takes away from your internet speeds. I have never noticed a slow down using the internet, while shows are being recorded.

This is what is most important to me, and I'd appreciate it if someone could answer this. Thanks.

Hey everyone, I'm going to be brief as possible. For starters, I do not trust any customer service rep over the phone or through the AT&T website to answer these questions, hence why I'm asking it here.

Currently a FIOS customer. They aren't playing nice with the bill in relation to what they offer. Uverse is FINALLY in our area, so been taking a look at them. Been thinking of getting the TV+Internet+phone. I have one important question.

1. The highest package they offer right now is the 18/1.5. Compared to my FIOS 15/5, this looks like an improvement. HOWEVER, I've read on these forums that watching or recording HD shows knocks off about 6 mbps from your connection. Is this true? We have two HD TVs at our home, 4 laptops streaming music or youtube, cell phones connected, consoles, just the whole nine yards during peak hours. If push comes to shove, recording 3-4 shows + doing all those other things cause trouble?

I am not sure if FIOS plays by the same rule where watching HDTV takes away from your internet speeds. I have never noticed a slow down using the internet, while shows are being recorded.

This is what is most important to me, and I'd appreciate it if someone could answer this. Thanks.

Thinking of getting Uverse! One question though.

[ Edited ]
13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 7:02:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
mmoon24 - I will give you a general answer. Someone with numbers can give you more details.

First, You will have to find out the bandwidth of your overall service, which is based on the distance to the VRAD. You can find this out when it is installed.

When there is not sufficient bandwidth, the TV will steal from the internet service. I believe this works out so that if you have 12 mb internet service it is locked up (not needed by TV). If you go for 18 or 24, then 6 or 12 is vulnerable to use for TV. Of course, you would have to be running your TVs at max and doing internet at the same time to actually experience it. All you should notice would be a slight slow-down.

You might want to try 12 mb service to see if it is adequate for your needs or your usage may be such that you would generally not create a conflict.
mmoon24 - I will give you a general answer. Someone with numbers can give you more details.

First, You will have to find out the bandwidth of your overall service, which is based on the distance to the VRAD. You can find this out when it is installed.

When there is not sufficient bandwidth, the TV will steal from the internet service. I believe this works out so that if you have 12 mb internet service it is locked up (not needed by TV). If you go for 18 or 24, then 6 or 12 is vulnerable to use for TV. Of course, you would have to be running your TVs at max and doing internet at the same time to actually experience it. All you should notice would be a slight slow-down.

You might want to try 12 mb service to see if it is adequate for your needs or your usage may be such that you would generally not create a conflict.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Thinking of getting Uverse! One question though.

2 of 14 (387 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 7:20:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

Forgive my lack of knowledge on these terms, but is VRAD related to FTTP and FTTN (I don't even know which is supposedly better).

And I guess I want to know these answers, before I get it installed. Just so I don't have to go through the trouble.

Forgive my lack of knowledge on these terms, but is VRAD related to FTTP and FTTN (I don't even know which is supposedly better).

And I guess I want to know these answers, before I get it installed. Just so I don't have to go through the trouble.

3 of 14 (381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 7:25:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

A VRAD (Video Ready Access Device) is the N (or Node) in FTTN (Fiber to the Node), a box within a mile of your house where the fiber stops and the copper starts.  If you have FTTP, then the fiber comes to the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) on the side of your home.

A VRAD (Video Ready Access Device) is the N (or Node) in FTTN (Fiber to the Node), a box within a mile of your house where the fiber stops and the copper starts.  If you have FTTP, then the fiber comes to the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) on the side of your home.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 14 (379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 7:32:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
mmoon24 - VRAD is the original deploy of U-verse. Id is the Node in FTTN. The fiber terminates there and is converted to copper to get to the house.

FTTP is when the fiber goes all the way the premises and is converted to copper at the prem.

Theoretically, FTTP supports higher bandwidth than FTTN. But, FTTP deployment was initially limited & service levels are lower than FTTN.
mmoon24 - VRAD is the original deploy of U-verse. Id is the Node in FTTN. The fiber terminates there and is converted to copper to get to the house.

FTTP is when the fiber goes all the way the premises and is converted to copper at the prem.

Theoretically, FTTP supports higher bandwidth than FTTN. But, FTTP deployment was initially limited & service levels are lower than FTTN.

5 of 14 (374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 9:41:16 PM
(0)
Employee
First I would like to know where Verizon (baby bells Atlantic, NYNEX, GTE) FIOS competes with AT&T(baby bells SBC, Pactel,Ameritech,Bell South) Uverse.
I believe Texas has both in state but not competing.

if best is 18/1.5 odds are FTTN long loop 25M profile, more than 1 HD (about 6M) will affect internet speeds. IPTV service would be 3HD inputs and 1SD input at same time.

slim possibility of FTTP on BPON ONT limited to 18/1.5 Max Plus, but thought most of these were being upgraded to GPON offering 24 or 45 M speeds.

For completeness no tv HD or SD see 18-21, 1 HD expect 16-18, 2 HD 10-13, 3HD 5-7
First I would like to know where Verizon (baby bells Atlantic, NYNEX, GTE) FIOS competes with AT&T(baby bells SBC, Pactel,Ameritech,Bell South) Uverse.
I believe Texas has both in state but not competing.

if best is 18/1.5 odds are FTTN long loop 25M profile, more than 1 HD (about 6M) will affect internet speeds. IPTV service would be 3HD inputs and 1SD input at same time.

slim possibility of FTTP on BPON ONT limited to 18/1.5 Max Plus, but thought most of these were being upgraded to GPON offering 24 or 45 M speeds.

For completeness no tv HD or SD see 18-21, 1 HD expect 16-18, 2 HD 10-13, 3HD 5-7
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 14 (344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 4:12:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I believe that there are a few neighborhoods in Dallas where a subscriber has a choice of Verizon FiOS and AT&T U-verse.

I believe that there are a few neighborhoods in Dallas where a subscriber has a choice of Verizon FiOS and AT&T U-verse.

7 of 14 (324 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 4:28:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

JefferMC wrote:

Allen, Plano, Frisco

Fios/Uverse overlap

JefferMC wrote:

Allen, Plano, Frisco

Fios/Uverse overlap

8 of 14 (320 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 5:23:59 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by mmoon24 on Apr 22, 2014 at 5:25:33 PM

As the above poster mentioned, I live in the Plano area, and so I am blessed to have both services in my neighborhood. Though Uverse did take its time (I've had FIOS for 4 years now) getting here. 

That's an interesting answer you gave. On average, we do have 2 shows being recorded on weekdays, sometimes 3. Looks like I'm gonna have to do my due diligence in making sure I know what I get myself into before committing.

I assume FIOS works the same way? Watch/DVR HD, and it takes away from your internet?

As the above poster mentioned, I live in the Plano area, and so I am blessed to have both services in my neighborhood. Though Uverse did take its time (I've had FIOS for 4 years now) getting here. 

That's an interesting answer you gave. On average, we do have 2 shows being recorded on weekdays, sometimes 3. Looks like I'm gonna have to do my due diligence in making sure I know what I get myself into before committing.

I assume FIOS works the same way? Watch/DVR HD, and it takes away from your internet?

[ Edited ]
9 of 14 (288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 5:32:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Actually, I do not believe so.  IIRC, FiOS is more like traditional cable where all services are on your fiber all the time.

Actually, I do not believe so.  IIRC, FiOS is more like traditional cable where all services are on your fiber all the time.

10 of 14 (284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 6:53:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Apr 23, 2014 at 9:53:05 AM

mmoon24 - re: I assume FIOS works the same way? Watch/DVR HD, and it takes away from your internet?

I agree with Jeffer. In fact, I believe channel numbers 2-50 can be tuned by a standard analog tuner. A fios box is not required for those channels.

mmoon24 - re: I assume FIOS works the same way? Watch/DVR HD, and it takes away from your internet?

I agree with Jeffer. In fact, I believe channel numbers 2-50 can be tuned by a standard analog tuner. A fios box is not required for those channels.

[ Edited ]
11 of 14 (274 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 9:51:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

I think I can help, I have U-Verse now, just switched from TWC Extreme internet, 30 down, 6 up, and AT&T's 18Mbps package internet outperforms the extreme I had before. My pings are better on all games, of course downloading a movie or something would be slower, but I don't download anything. The consistency of getting the actual speed is also better, I've had a max of 21 and almost always get 18 unless TV's are on.  Now onto the TV, I have noticed that when recording the speed deminishes and the lowest I've seen my internet go to is 6 Mbps but there is a work around for this and I don't know the specifics but depending on your location they might have to do a bonded pair install, basically 1 line for internet, and 1 line for TV. Hope this helps.

I think I can help, I have U-Verse now, just switched from TWC Extreme internet, 30 down, 6 up, and AT&T's 18Mbps package internet outperforms the extreme I had before. My pings are better on all games, of course downloading a movie or something would be slower, but I don't download anything. The consistency of getting the actual speed is also better, I've had a max of 21 and almost always get 18 unless TV's are on.  Now onto the TV, I have noticed that when recording the speed deminishes and the lowest I've seen my internet go to is 6 Mbps but there is a work around for this and I don't know the specifics but depending on your location they might have to do a bonded pair install, basically 1 line for internet, and 1 line for TV. Hope this helps.

12 of 14 (250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 7:51:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks man, I'll definitely look into if it's possible to get a "bonded pair" installed at my place.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks man, I'll definitely look into if it's possible to get a "bonded pair" installed at my place.

Thanks everyone!

13 of 14 (225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 9:49:45 PM
(0)
Employee
Bonded does not work that way, as separate feeds, rather one feed sent over two pairs. Most common is for long loop distance, original inid installs (2010) provides 25M profile with maximum internet speed as MAX PLUS (18/1.5).

Newer usages (fall of 2013) is for short loop 55M profile offering 45/6 internet speeds. Both are shared bandwidth with IPTV services given preference.
Any more than 1 HD stream in use will affect internet speeds.

The more tv channels watch and/or record the less internet. As mentioned if on 25M with 3HD in use (25-18=7*.9) would be 6M about same if on 32M with 4HD would be 6-8M.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Bonded does not work that way, as separate feeds, rather one feed sent over two pairs. Most common is for long loop distance, original inid installs (2010) provides 25M profile with maximum internet speed as MAX PLUS (18/1.5).

Newer usages (fall of 2013) is for short loop 55M profile offering 45/6 internet speeds. Both are shared bandwidth with IPTV services given preference.
Any more than 1 HD stream in use will affect internet speeds.

The more tv channels watch and/or record the less internet. As mentioned if on 25M with 3HD in use (25-18=7*.9) would be 6M about same if on 32M with 4HD would be 6-8M.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

14 of 14 (212 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments