Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 5, 2012
8:28:40 AM
View profile
The install was great....But the phones don't work....

The install went well today.  The tech was very professional, arrived on time and did the install of phone,Internet and Television inside of 4 hours.

What I did NOT check was the ability of my phone to receive calls. 

The in coming call does show on my TV..But my phones do not ring.

I have been on my cell phone with Tier 2 support for an hour now and all the trouble
shooting in the world is not getting my phone to ring.  I have dial tone on one phone
and no dial tone on the other.

NONE of the phones ring when calls come in.  I can call out on one phone but
the second phone does not have a dial tone.

Tom at Tier 2 support is telling me it's going to cost $100 to roll a truck to fix
an issue that did NOT exist before the tech got here.

This is not acceptable.

I turned off voice mail, call forwarding and call waiting online.

I am still holding with Tom at Tier 2 support for some resolve.

Options Tom states that it must be the inside wiring or the phone itself.

I am stating that my phones all worked perfectly before UVerse voice was installed.

I am NOT paying for truck to roll. 

This needs to be resolved immediately. I live in a gated community and must
have phone to buzz visitors in.  I will not hear my visitors calling from the gate
to buzz them in.   This is not acceptable.

Finally, after another 30 minutes on the phone with 3 different reps (Demitre, Tom, Adelle, Lynette)

ATT is going to roll a truck to my home to do what should have been done at install.

(By the way: having the customer repeat the "story" every time only escalates the irritation.)

Note to reps: MAKE COMPLETE NOTES ON CUSTOMER ACCOUNT SAVES CUSTOMER AGGRAVATION.

ATT you have another very UNHAPPY customer.

The install went well today.  The tech was very professional, arrived on time and did the install of phone,Internet and Television inside of 4 hours.

What I did NOT check was the ability of my phone to receive calls. 

The in coming call does show on my TV..But my phones do not ring.

I have been on my cell phone with Tier 2 support for an hour now and all the trouble
shooting in the world is not getting my phone to ring.  I have dial tone on one phone
and no dial tone on the other.

NONE of the phones ring when calls come in.  I can call out on one phone but
the second phone does not have a dial tone.

Tom at Tier 2 support is telling me it's going to cost $100 to roll a truck to fix
an issue that did NOT exist before the tech got here.

This is not acceptable.

I turned off voice mail, call forwarding and call waiting online.

I am still holding with Tom at Tier 2 support for some resolve.

Options Tom states that it must be the inside wiring or the phone itself.

I am stating that my phones all worked perfectly before UVerse voice was installed.

I am NOT paying for truck to roll. 

This needs to be resolved immediately. I live in a gated community and must
have phone to buzz visitors in.  I will not hear my visitors calling from the gate
to buzz them in.   This is not acceptable.

Finally, after another 30 minutes on the phone with 3 different reps (Demitre, Tom, Adelle, Lynette)

ATT is going to roll a truck to my home to do what should have been done at install.

(By the way: having the customer repeat the "story" every time only escalates the irritation.)

Note to reps: MAKE COMPLETE NOTES ON CUSTOMER ACCOUNT SAVES CUSTOMER AGGRAVATION.

ATT you have another very UNHAPPY customer.

The install was great....But the phones don't work....

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2012 9:54:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
This may be too simple, but did you check to make sure the phone had not been silenced or the ringer turned off? Did you try switching out the two phones and seeing if had a noise when you did that?

If you have dial tone and the incoming call shows on the caller id, it does sound like an equipment issue, which AT&T can't fix. You might try borrowing from a friend or buying (an inexpensive phone) to test.
This may be too simple, but did you check to make sure the phone had not been silenced or the ringer turned off? Did you try switching out the two phones and seeing if had a noise when you did that?

If you have dial tone and the incoming call shows on the caller id, it does sound like an equipment issue, which AT&T can't fix. You might try borrowing from a friend or buying (an inexpensive phone) to test.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: The install was great....But the phones don't work....

2 of 8 (2,027 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2012 11:14:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Sep 5, 2012 at 11:15:55 AM

I was thinking a house wiring issue, especially on the phone that doesn't ring and doesn't have dial tone... maybe the dialtone backfeed was not completed properly by the installer.

I'd plug each of your phones into the back of the RG in the "line 1" port and see if they ring (and have dial tone) in that configuration.

I was thinking a house wiring issue, especially on the phone that doesn't ring and doesn't have dial tone... maybe the dialtone backfeed was not completed properly by the installer.

I'd plug each of your phones into the back of the RG in the "line 1" port and see if they ring (and have dial tone) in that configuration.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
3 of 8 (2,016 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2012 11:40:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Not being able to receive an incoming call sounds like your phone service hasn't been provisioned.  Because that happened to me when I got the the VOIP phone service.  You can ask the CSR about that. 

For that and the other phone issue you can send Alex a PM he is an AT&T Community Manager on the forum.  He can get you to the right person/dept to get these issues resolved.

http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276

Not being able to receive an incoming call sounds like your phone service hasn't been provisioned.  Because that happened to me when I got the the VOIP phone service.  You can ask the CSR about that. 

For that and the other phone issue you can send Alex a PM he is an AT&T Community Manager on the forum.  He can get you to the right person/dept to get these issues resolved.

http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276

4 of 8 (2,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 11:14:43 AM
(0)
Tutor
I got a u-verse install yesterday and had the same problem. My phones would call out, but when a call came in, my phones wouldn't ring or show the caller id. The TV would show the caller id and I could answer the phone. The phones worked previously with TWC. My phone would ring and show caller id if I plugged it directly into the uverse box. I did some research on the internets that suggested that the two phone wires were reversed between the uverse port and my phones. So I found an old wall plate with two phone jacks that wasn't being used anymore. On the back there were colored wires coming out of the jacks and going to screw terminals. The middle two wires were red and green. I pulled the red wire from one jack off the terminal and connected it to the terminal with the green wire on the other jack, and pulled the green wire and connected it to the terminal with the red wire. I also found a three inch phone cord that came with a phone so that the phone could be hang from a wall jack and put this into one of the two jacks on the wall plate. I then inserted this on the end of the phone cord coming from the uverse box and plugged the small cord to where the longer cord was originally plugged in. This fixed my phones. They all ring and show caller id. I left the install tech a phone message explaining what he did. We'll see if he calls back to fix the problem. If not, I just leave my jerry rigged device in place.
I got a u-verse install yesterday and had the same problem. My phones would call out, but when a call came in, my phones wouldn't ring or show the caller id. The TV would show the caller id and I could answer the phone. The phones worked previously with TWC. My phone would ring and show caller id if I plugged it directly into the uverse box. I did some research on the internets that suggested that the two phone wires were reversed between the uverse port and my phones. So I found an old wall plate with two phone jacks that wasn't being used anymore. On the back there were colored wires coming out of the jacks and going to screw terminals. The middle two wires were red and green. I pulled the red wire from one jack off the terminal and connected it to the terminal with the green wire on the other jack, and pulled the green wire and connected it to the terminal with the red wire. I also found a three inch phone cord that came with a phone so that the phone could be hang from a wall jack and put this into one of the two jacks on the wall plate. I then inserted this on the end of the phone cord coming from the uverse box and plugged the small cord to where the longer cord was originally plugged in. This fixed my phones. They all ring and show caller id. I left the install tech a phone message explaining what he did. We'll see if he calls back to fix the problem. If not, I just leave my jerry rigged device in place.

5 of 8 (1,377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 11:49:58 AM
(0)
Employee
Sorry to hear of issue, the tech should made both incoming and outgoing calls to verify phones working properlybefore leaving. If tech was kind enough to leave his contact information should get a return call. Did the tech leave his work schedule as well? There are different schedules some will get a Saturday, Sunday off known as contract weekend, most will have Sunday, Monday or Sunday, THrusday or Tuesday, Wednesday off. This can delay the expected response time, but nice to know temporary resolved, thanks for posting your experience and initiative to discover cause.
Sorry to hear of issue, the tech should made both incoming and outgoing calls to verify phones working properlybefore leaving. If tech was kind enough to leave his contact information should get a return call. Did the tech leave his work schedule as well? There are different schedules some will get a Saturday, Sunday off known as contract weekend, most will have Sunday, Monday or Sunday, THrusday or Tuesday, Wednesday off. This can delay the expected response time, but nice to know temporary resolved, thanks for posting your experience and initiative to discover cause.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 8 (1,359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 2:49:00 PM
(0)
Tutor
The install tech left his cell phone number, and I left him several messages, but he never called back. Since my phones work, I haven't pursed this further. I worry about other people that might be in a similar situation if they aren't techy enough to figure this out and how to fix it.
The install tech left his cell phone number, and I left him several messages, but he never called back. Since my phones work, I haven't pursed this further. I worry about other people that might be in a similar situation if they aren't techy enough to figure this out and how to fix it.

7 of 8 (1,293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2016 3:59:16 PM
(0)
Contributor
My uverse installation went great but, my caller I.d. don't show on TV. My phone rings but, can't see number on TV. What is the problem??
My uverse installation went great but, my caller I.d. don't show on TV. My phone rings but, can't see number on TV. What is the problem??

8 of 8 (143 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments