Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 21, 2011
11:34:43 AM
View profile
The Motorola NVG510 is giving me the fritz

I set up my Internet during the week of 11/28 and everything was working fine...until about 2 weeks ago. I started getting the "Network no Internet access" message in my task bar and "DNS server not responding" everytime I booted up my PC.

At first I thought it was because I set up Mac filtering to prevent WI-fi sapping and accidentally blocked my own address, so I called support to reset my modem settings and everything worked okay for about 2-3 hours. So, as usual, I shut down my PC for the night and went to bed. When I woke up, everything returned to the way it was before, Dns server messages and all.

I unplugged the NVG about four times and finally connected to the net to Google the model number. That's when I realized it was the NVG510 that was the problem, not the settings.

My internet connection is now spotty at best, and it's a coin flip at bootup rather I'll get connected or not. The NVG even disconnects if my computer goes into sleepmode. And to add insult to injury, I just got the $100+ bill, it won't work on my blu-ray player and PC simultaneously(I have to shut down my PC to get the other to connect to the net), and I have a Max download speed of 637KBs on the 6MB plan.

For a $100 modem, does Motorola/At&t have any plans to fix this?

I set up my Internet during the week of 11/28 and everything was working fine...until about 2 weeks ago. I started getting the "Network no Internet access" message in my task bar and "DNS server not responding" everytime I booted up my PC.

At first I thought it was because I set up Mac filtering to prevent WI-fi sapping and accidentally blocked my own address, so I called support to reset my modem settings and everything worked okay for about 2-3 hours. So, as usual, I shut down my PC for the night and went to bed. When I woke up, everything returned to the way it was before, Dns server messages and all.

I unplugged the NVG about four times and finally connected to the net to Google the model number. That's when I realized it was the NVG510 that was the problem, not the settings.

My internet connection is now spotty at best, and it's a coin flip at bootup rather I'll get connected or not. The NVG even disconnects if my computer goes into sleepmode. And to add insult to injury, I just got the $100+ bill, it won't work on my blu-ray player and PC simultaneously(I have to shut down my PC to get the other to connect to the net), and I have a Max download speed of 637KBs on the 6MB plan.

For a $100 modem, does Motorola/At&t have any plans to fix this?

The Motorola NVG510 is giving me the fritz

5 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 4:00:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

And is their anyway to fix this without buying a new modem or switching service providers?

And is their anyway to fix this without buying a new modem or switching service providers?

Re: The Motorola NVG510 is giving me the fritz

2 of 6 (2,856 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2011 6:28:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am also having this issue with the NVG510. It randomly drops my internet access, and rebooting it may or may  not fix the problem - usually I have to try several times.

Also, I can't access any VPN networks because of firewall settings that are set to the default on this gateway -- yet I never had issues with my old DSL gateway. I called AT&T and they said they don't support any kind of VPN, so I'd have to pay for technical support - and Motorola's website hasn't been any help either.

A quick google search has shown that these routers are giving everyone problems. 

I am also having this issue with the NVG510. It randomly drops my internet access, and rebooting it may or may  not fix the problem - usually I have to try several times.

Also, I can't access any VPN networks because of firewall settings that are set to the default on this gateway -- yet I never had issues with my old DSL gateway. I called AT&T and they said they don't support any kind of VPN, so I'd have to pay for technical support - and Motorola's website hasn't been any help either.

A quick google search has shown that these routers are giving everyone problems. 

3 of 6 (2,749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2012 10:36:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having the same issue.  The internet goes up and down.  Most of the time the modem is all green lights but it is not able to do the handshake with the ISP.  I am also constantly unplugging and replugging the modem.  I'm resetting the modem.  The Nameservice seems to be a big problem.  I've had 4 tech (2 inside and 2 outside) and my service is still up and down.  I have requested a new modem.  For $100, I expect a lot more.  My service is slow not lightning speed here either.

Did anyone get a replacement modem?

I'm having the same issue.  The internet goes up and down.  Most of the time the modem is all green lights but it is not able to do the handshake with the ISP.  I am also constantly unplugging and replugging the modem.  I'm resetting the modem.  The Nameservice seems to be a big problem.  I've had 4 tech (2 inside and 2 outside) and my service is still up and down.  I have requested a new modem.  For $100, I expect a lot more.  My service is slow not lightning speed here either.

Did anyone get a replacement modem?

4 of 6 (2,559 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 8:44:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

I was having this problem too, and then I finally figured out what was happening (at least in my specific case)! My wife had been on the phone with tech support for about an hour trying different things, and getting nowhere fast. Finally we hung up in frustration, and suddenly the network reappeared. We were happily using the internet then until I tried using our phone again and it went out. Putting two and two together, we wondered if it might actually be our cordless phone that was interfering with the modem. Our cordless phone runs at 2.4 Ghz and after a little research, I found out that the modem's bandwith is set to 20 Mhz by default. I suspected their might be an overlap (I'm not exactly certain about the order of magnitude difference between Ghz and Mhz are after all). After, I changed the setting to 40 Mhz on the modem, all worked perfectly. You can do this by typing in the string of numbers on the yellow sticker on the side of your modem labeled "For Advanced Device Configuration" and then selecting the Home Network>Wireless tabs. I'm not sure if this is the problem, but it might be worth trying considering that you or your neighbors could be using devices that interfere with your modem's bandwith. I hope that helps!

I was having this problem too, and then I finally figured out what was happening (at least in my specific case)! My wife had been on the phone with tech support for about an hour trying different things, and getting nowhere fast. Finally we hung up in frustration, and suddenly the network reappeared. We were happily using the internet then until I tried using our phone again and it went out. Putting two and two together, we wondered if it might actually be our cordless phone that was interfering with the modem. Our cordless phone runs at 2.4 Ghz and after a little research, I found out that the modem's bandwith is set to 20 Mhz by default. I suspected their might be an overlap (I'm not exactly certain about the order of magnitude difference between Ghz and Mhz are after all). After, I changed the setting to 40 Mhz on the modem, all worked perfectly. You can do this by typing in the string of numbers on the yellow sticker on the side of your modem labeled "For Advanced Device Configuration" and then selecting the Home Network>Wireless tabs. I'm not sure if this is the problem, but it might be worth trying considering that you or your neighbors could be using devices that interfere with your modem's bandwith. I hope that helps!

5 of 6 (2,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2013 6:55:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

YAH!! Me Too! My NVG MAC filtering doesn't even work!! Check this out...

So I turned on MAC Filtering, and added 2 MAC's to a WHITELIST. If it isn't clear, I'll explain...

The WHITELIST is for MAC addresses in the list to be BLOCKED, allowing all other traffic with correct SSID/Passphrase

The BLACKLIST is for MAC addresses in the list to be ALLOWED access while blocking all others, with SSID/Passphrase

In the real REAL world (Cisco) we call these Allow/Deny lists. But the WHITELIST and BLACKLIST methods didn't work at ALL on my NVG. So much for paying 100 bucks for old non-working garbage NVG!

Firmware update anybody?

YAH!! Me Too! My NVG MAC filtering doesn't even work!! Check this out...

So I turned on MAC Filtering, and added 2 MAC's to a WHITELIST. If it isn't clear, I'll explain...

The WHITELIST is for MAC addresses in the list to be BLOCKED, allowing all other traffic with correct SSID/Passphrase

The BLACKLIST is for MAC addresses in the list to be ALLOWED access while blocking all others, with SSID/Passphrase

In the real REAL world (Cisco) we call these Allow/Deny lists. But the WHITELIST and BLACKLIST methods didn't work at ALL on my NVG. So much for paying 100 bucks for old non-working garbage NVG!

Firmware update anybody?

6 of 6 (1,066 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments