Ask a question

Posted May 3, 2013
    3:04:38 PM
    TV Power button works to turn on/off TV AT&T button does not
    Edited by thereviewer_1 on May 3, 2013 at 3:08:12 PM

I have followed the instructions on the guide using the 977 code.  I press the AT&T Button 2 flashes.  Then the TV button two flasehes the press enter.  Three flashes on the TV button.  I can turn on and off the TV using the TV button but it does not work with the AT&T button.  

I have a Westinghouse LD-4680 with the first Sony code 1002.   

I just noticed that the volume works as well with the AT&T button pressed so it is only the power with AT&T button pressed.  Any ideas?

TV Power button works to turn on/off TV AT&T button does not

[ Edited ]
    11 replies
    (1) Me too
    (1) Me too
    View all replies
    (11)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 3, 2013 3:37:40 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    thereviewer_1 - When the TV is programmed it should be included in the att power sequence. Are you aiming it so as to catch both devices?

Watch the mode buttons, When in att mode & press power, first the att button lights, then the TV.

You could be in a weird mode the power reset would be att/ok (at the same time)-977-att-tv-enter(bottom right).
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: TV Power button works to turn on/off TV AT&T button does not

2 of 12 (1,426 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 4, 2013 11:37:17 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

Try menu>help>system setup>program the remote control, then choose your type of remote and continue.  Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
    Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
    Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
    I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 12 (1,380 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 28, 2013 7:25:17 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Edited by SirEagle on Sep 28, 2013 at 7:25:59 PM

Did you ever get this figured out? I have the exact same issue with my Westinghouse TV.

[ Edited ]
    4 of 12 (844 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 28, 2013 7:37:44 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    SirEagle - Just to try something different - try the following program - att/ok - 977 - TV - att - enter (bottom right)

5 of 12 (836 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 29, 2013 8:53:23 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

aviewer, that didn't work either. The lights on the remote flash like it should be working but it doesn't. I have to turn them on and off sepereately.

6 of 12 (809 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 29, 2013 10:00:19 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    SirEagle - It certainly is a conundrum - not logical - should be the same signal for both cases & the auto software is triggering the TV because you can see the light. Oh wait, the light you see is the light under the button. Get a digital camera and view the remote output - aim the camera at the smokey glass end of the remote. See if when the TV light flashes the output has a white spot. Of course it does.

I googled for the problem & find lots problems with both on & off for westinghouse & with other providers (e.g cox & comcast) So, lets try another theory that is the problem with the U-verse STB. Is the IR signal too weak or too strong (like the STB)?

Try the power off with the remote right up to the TV IR sensor. Of course, if that is the problem there is not anything you can do about it.

For too strong, Aim the remote away from the TV - bounce off back wall or ceiling or floor. Or cover the sensor with a somewhat transparent tape (e.g. thin masking tape) or this one - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-2-in-x-150-ft-Vinyl-Electrical-Bundling-Tape-Silver-3...

7 of 12 (798 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 29, 2013 4:14:54 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Looking at the end of the remote with the webcam on my laptop when I push the power I see the white lights when it turns the STB on/off, then it lights again for the TV but the TV does nothing. right against the TV IR sensor or bouncing off the back wall does nothing.

Just to clarify this is just when trying to do the TV and STB simotaniously. The remote will turn the TV on/off after pushing the TV button on the remote.

8 of 12 (770 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 29, 2013 4:39:18 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    SirEagle - Yes, it was to try something different on the step that does not work. I do suggest you try the tape based on experience with the U-verse STB. It seems counterintuitive to block the IR signal, but is very effective (more effective than off aim) on the U-verse STB (when there is a problem with that). So, it is important to try it. I would hate to talk myself out of trying a possiblity that was the solution. If that does not work - based on the google of the TV, I have to go with the only cure is a new TV.

9 of 12 (762 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 29, 2013 5:27:25 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

OK I will try the tape either later tonight or tomorrow and let you know.

10 of 12 (756 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 30, 2013 6:19:42 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

OK, went and bought some of that tape today. Didn't work. Tried the remote with one of my other TVs and it worked fine. Just some issue with the Westinghouse, guess I'll just have to live with it. Not to much of an issue at least.

11 of 12 (710 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 30, 2013 6:33:35 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    SirEagle - Thanks for trying. Sorry, it did not work. At least you made the effort. I cannot think of any other possibility. Thanks for letting me know.

12 of 12 (706 Views)