U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 18, 2014
10:00:44 PM
TV + Internet Setup with Networked House & Airport Extreme

I currently have Comcast for Internet & Dish Network for TV.  My cable modem is hooked up to an Airport Extreme and I also have an airport express to extend my network.  The cable modem & Airport Extreme upstairs in the Den with the airpot express & TV/DVR downstairs in the family room.

I am looking into switch Internet & TV to U-Verse, but I'd like to keep my Airport Extreme serving up my internet.  The house came wired for internet but I've never used it.  There is a network box (USsec tecCenter) in the master bedroom (upstairs) closet and cat5 outlets in all the rooms.  I'd like to keep my setup the same as it is now with my airport extreme upstairs in the Den and airport express downstairs by the TV.  Can this work?

I am assuming that I can setup the AE to serve up the internet with the instructions in this thread (https://forums.att.com/t5/Device-Setup/AT-amp-T-Modem-Router-Apple-Airport-Extreme/td-p/3607835).  Can I have the UVerse RG setup in the network box and have the TV STB connected via ethernet outlet next to the TV to the appropriate port on the RG and then the AE connected to the RG via ethernet outlet in the Den?

I'm assuming that the network box is a standard wiring, but I can attach a picture of it if it would help.

I currently have Comcast for Internet & Dish Network for TV.  My cable modem is hooked up to an Airport Extreme and I also have an airport express to extend my network.  The cable modem & Airport Extreme upstairs in the Den with the airpot express & TV/DVR downstairs in the family room.

I am looking into switch Internet & TV to U-Verse, but I'd like to keep my Airport Extreme serving up my internet.  The house came wired for internet but I've never used it.  There is a network box (USsec tecCenter) in the master bedroom (upstairs) closet and cat5 outlets in all the rooms.  I'd like to keep my setup the same as it is now with my airport extreme upstairs in the Den and airport express downstairs by the TV.  Can this work?

I am assuming that I can setup the AE to serve up the internet with the instructions in this thread (https://forums.att.com/t5/Device-Setup/AT-amp-T-Modem-Router-Apple-Airport-Extreme/td-p/3607835).  Can I have the UVerse RG setup in the network box and have the TV STB connected via ethernet outlet next to the TV to the appropriate port on the RG and then the AE connected to the RG via ethernet outlet in the Den?

I'm assuming that the network box is a standard wiring, but I can attach a picture of it if it would help.

TV + Internet Setup with Networked House & Airport Extreme

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 8:47:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I have been using Time Capsule/Airport Extreme Base Station and Airport Express since switching to Uverse without any hitches but I have them set in Bridge mode which is the easiest and most trouble free.

I have been using Time Capsule/Airport Extreme Base Station and Airport Express since switching to Uverse without any hitches but I have them set in Bridge mode which is the easiest and most trouble free.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: TV + Internet Setup with Networked House & Airport Extreme

2 of 17 (979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 8:53:08 AM
(0)
Tutor

thanks for the reply oz_1.  sound like using airport extreme with RG should have no problems.

the other thing that I want to find out is whether I can set the RG up in the network box (USsec tecCenter) in the closet and connect to the STB via ethernet outlet next to TV and also to connect the AE via ethernet outlet in Den.  this is because I don't want to put the RG next to the TV and have to move my AE next to it.  I'd like to keep the AE in the den.

Thanks.

thanks for the reply oz_1.  sound like using airport extreme with RG should have no problems.

the other thing that I want to find out is whether I can set the RG up in the network box (USsec tecCenter) in the closet and connect to the STB via ethernet outlet next to TV and also to connect the AE via ethernet outlet in Den.  this is because I don't want to put the RG next to the TV and have to move my AE next to it.  I'd like to keep the AE in the den.

Thanks.

3 of 17 (978 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 11:02:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

There are mixed results using the ethernet port on the STB if this is what your asking but you can purchase a Netgear swith that is 802.1p which will then divide the line between the STB and the AE without interference the 4 ports in the AEBS are not p compliant hence the need for a switch that is.

There are mixed results using the ethernet port on the STB if this is what your asking but you can purchase a Netgear swith that is 802.1p which will then divide the line between the STB and the AE without interference the 4 ports in the AEBS are not p compliant hence the need for a switch that is.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 17 (965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 1:53:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

so i guess there are a couple of things that I might not understand.

how is the STB typically connected to the RG?  I assumed it was RG-->STB via ethernet.  is it connected via coax?

here's the setup that I was envisioning and wanted to see if it would work.

outside cable --> network box --> RG

RG (in network box) STB port --> family room via ethernet jack (or coax may be possible too) --> STB

RG (in network box) WAN port --> den via ethernet jack --> AE

would that work?

so i guess there are a couple of things that I might not understand.

how is the STB typically connected to the RG?  I assumed it was RG-->STB via ethernet.  is it connected via coax?

here's the setup that I was envisioning and wanted to see if it would work.

outside cable --> network box --> RG

RG (in network box) STB port --> family room via ethernet jack (or coax may be possible too) --> STB

RG (in network box) WAN port --> den via ethernet jack --> AE

would that work?

5 of 17 (949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 3:20:44 PM
(0)
Employee
Only hardwired devices?
Sync from outside to RG on cat5 cable if FTTN, or Ethernet from ONT if FTTP.
RG has (4) Ethernet ports....
Port 1 Ethernet to DVR (family and higher) in family room
Port 2 Ethernet to AE in den.
Port 3 available
port 4 available

Note, if add any wireless receivers will need (1) port for Wireless Access Point.

The AE is set up as router behind router, AE WAN plugs into RG LAN.
The techs responsibility is to provide internet connection and set up IPTV service with instruction on operation.
The tech does not set up customer personal equipment such as network router, you will be responsible for setting up AE to RG. Recommend following post listed above.
Only hardwired devices?
Sync from outside to RG on cat5 cable if FTTN, or Ethernet from ONT if FTTP.
RG has (4) Ethernet ports....
Port 1 Ethernet to DVR (family and higher) in family room
Port 2 Ethernet to AE in den.
Port 3 available
port 4 available

Note, if add any wireless receivers will need (1) port for Wireless Access Point.

The AE is set up as router behind router, AE WAN plugs into RG LAN.
The techs responsibility is to provide internet connection and set up IPTV service with instruction on operation.
The tech does not set up customer personal equipment such as network router, you will be responsible for setting up AE to RG. Recommend following post listed above.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 17 (944 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 7:13:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

thanks, that is helpful.

yeah, I meant to put RG LAN to AE not WAN.  :smileyhappy:

Thanks for bringing up the wireless receivers.  I didn't say how many STB I was getting - I am planning on getting two wired receivers.  Is that what you were asking about when you said only hardwired devices?  Will each STB need to connect to the RG in some way?

What does it mean when you say "Sync from outside to RG on cat5 cable if FTTN, or Ethernet from ONT if FTTP."?

In terms of setting up the AE to RG, I'm comfortable doing that.  What is reasonable to expect for the tech to set up when they come?  Can I ask the tech to install the RG in the network box, connect to the 2 STB, and have the internet LAN get sent to the Den via the cat5 wiring?  or just set up the 2 STB and have the RG serving up internet wirelessly?

thanks, that is helpful.

yeah, I meant to put RG LAN to AE not WAN.  :smileyhappy:

Thanks for bringing up the wireless receivers.  I didn't say how many STB I was getting - I am planning on getting two wired receivers.  Is that what you were asking about when you said only hardwired devices?  Will each STB need to connect to the RG in some way?

What does it mean when you say "Sync from outside to RG on cat5 cable if FTTN, or Ethernet from ONT if FTTP."?

In terms of setting up the AE to RG, I'm comfortable doing that.  What is reasonable to expect for the tech to set up when they come?  Can I ask the tech to install the RG in the network box, connect to the 2 STB, and have the internet LAN get sent to the Den via the cat5 wiring?  or just set up the 2 STB and have the RG serving up internet wirelessly?

7 of 17 (928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 8:41:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by oz_1 on Mar 19, 2014 at 8:45:02 PM

Fiber To The Premises

Fiber  To The Node

Optical Network Terminal

The type of RG is determined on which setup of the two that were listed.

If you set your AE in bridge mode and disable the RG's wireless you will be fine unless you need a router behind the RG ( most do not) in which case you wiil need to put it in DMZ.

Fiber To The Premises

Fiber  To The Node

Optical Network Terminal

The type of RG is determined on which setup of the two that were listed.

If you set your AE in bridge mode and disable the RG's wireless you will be fine unless you need a router behind the RG ( most do not) in which case you wiil need to put it in DMZ.

[ Edited ]
8 of 17 (917 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2014 10:47:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Sounds like I'm back in the military again with all these abbreviations and acronyms.  :smileyvery-happy:

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Sounds like I'm back in the military again with all these abbreviations and acronyms.  :smileyvery-happy:

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

9 of 17 (881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2014 10:51:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

OMG, the TLA and FLA do abound around here.

OMG, the TLA and FLA do abound around here.

10 of 17 (878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2014 4:03:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Acronyms are nice considering I can't type a lot of words per minute.

Acronyms are nice considering I can't type a lot of words per minute.

11 of 17 (857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2014 7:09:35 PM
(0)
Employee
OMG, FYI YMMV LOL OTOH BRB ASAP

Found here, http://m.topix.com/forum/dallas/TR37JEH86FO62J943/p375 a site primary looking for answers on becoming a premise tech.

Apologize for using abbreviations.... to help
CO, Central Office, the point where POTS and DSL leave company building to disburse into neighborhoods.
VRAD, Video Ready Access Device, the cabinet that contains fiber optic cable and electronic circuits.
CrossBox (XBOX), cabinet that connects fiber to outside plant cables Serving Terminal, box near homes, business where outside plant termination also called ped or pedestal
DROP, wire from serving terminal to NID, can be aerial, buried, or combination.
NID, Network Interface Device, box, normally side of home where OW (outside wire, drop) connects to IW (inside wiring) point of change between whose responsibility.
Home Run, cat5 (ideally) between NID and RG.
RG, Residential Gateway, the modem/router required for Uverse to work.
STB, set top box, receiver either wired (coax, Ethernet), or wireless
DVR, Digital Video Recorder

POTS, Plain Old Telephone Service, old phone service
VOIP, Voice Over Internet Protocol, new phone service
IPTV, Internet Protocol Television
HSIA, High Speed Internet Access

CWA, Communication Workers of America, the union that represents most ATT hourly employees
IBEW, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, the other union, primarily Chicago area.
PT, Premise Tech, the Uverse tech in most districts.
WT, Wire Tech is the PT retitled in the SE district
ST, Service Tech, core employee who handles installs and repairs of POTS, DSL plus outside lines
InR, installation and Repair, name given to core plant department
CIM, Construction, Installation, Maintenance...newer name for InR
Edit added...SD&A, Service & Delivery Assurance, new title (2014) for Uverse & Outside Repair combined department.

Districts...
1, Connecticut old SNET (Southern New England Telephone) being sold to Frontier 2nd half 2014, pending approval.
3, SE, south east, old Bell South, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
4, MW, Midwest, old Ameritech, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin
6, SW, South West, old SBC, Southern Bell Corporation, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas
9, West, California, Nevada, old Pactell
OMG, FYI YMMV LOL OTOH BRB ASAP

Found here, http://m.topix.com/forum/dallas/TR37JEH86FO62J943/p375 a site primary looking for answers on becoming a premise tech.

Apologize for using abbreviations.... to help
CO, Central Office, the point where POTS and DSL leave company building to disburse into neighborhoods.
VRAD, Video Ready Access Device, the cabinet that contains fiber optic cable and electronic circuits.
CrossBox (XBOX), cabinet that connects fiber to outside plant cables Serving Terminal, box near homes, business where outside plant termination also called ped or pedestal
DROP, wire from serving terminal to NID, can be aerial, buried, or combination.
NID, Network Interface Device, box, normally side of home where OW (outside wire, drop) connects to IW (inside wiring) point of change between whose responsibility.
Home Run, cat5 (ideally) between NID and RG.
RG, Residential Gateway, the modem/router required for Uverse to work.
STB, set top box, receiver either wired (coax, Ethernet), or wireless
DVR, Digital Video Recorder

POTS, Plain Old Telephone Service, old phone service
VOIP, Voice Over Internet Protocol, new phone service
IPTV, Internet Protocol Television
HSIA, High Speed Internet Access

CWA, Communication Workers of America, the union that represents most ATT hourly employees
IBEW, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, the other union, primarily Chicago area.
PT, Premise Tech, the Uverse tech in most districts.
WT, Wire Tech is the PT retitled in the SE district
ST, Service Tech, core employee who handles installs and repairs of POTS, DSL plus outside lines
InR, installation and Repair, name given to core plant department
CIM, Construction, Installation, Maintenance...newer name for InR
Edit added...SD&A, Service & Delivery Assurance, new title (2014) for Uverse & Outside Repair combined department.

Districts...
1, Connecticut old SNET (Southern New England Telephone) being sold to Frontier 2nd half 2014, pending approval.
3, SE, south east, old Bell South, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
4, MW, Midwest, old Ameritech, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin
6, SW, South West, old SBC, Southern Bell Corporation, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas
9, West, California, Nevada, old Pactell
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

12 of 17 (843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 3:37:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

LOL, TYVM.

TTFN.

LOL, TYVM.

TTFN.

13 of 17 (820 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 10:27:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

I was going to test out the network box to see if the ethernet wiring was active, but when I looked at the network box in my closet more closely and it seems that it is wired for ethernet, but it hasn't been set up.  (see picture).

There is one box for phone, one box for cable, and there are white wires (labeled with room names) without connectors at the end which I believe are ethernet.  In one of the rooms, there is a plug with dual jack for phone/cable and then another plug with a jack which looks like a cat5 outlet, but no label.

Once I put connectors on the end of the white wires, should I be able to plug the wires into a router and then test the cat5 jacks by plugging a computer and seeing if it picks up an ip address?Photo Mar 24, 10 16 09 PM.jpg

I was going to test out the network box to see if the ethernet wiring was active, but when I looked at the network box in my closet more closely and it seems that it is wired for ethernet, but it hasn't been set up.  (see picture).

There is one box for phone, one box for cable, and there are white wires (labeled with room names) without connectors at the end which I believe are ethernet.  In one of the rooms, there is a plug with dual jack for phone/cable and then another plug with a jack which looks like a cat5 outlet, but no label.

Once I put connectors on the end of the white wires, should I be able to plug the wires into a router and then test the cat5 jacks by plugging a computer and seeing if it picks up an ip address?Photo Mar 24, 10 16 09 PM.jpg

14 of 17 (665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 10:43:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You need an 802.1p compliant switch with it at least 8 ports unless I miscounted your wires well anyway one port for each wire and a port to go to the lan on your RG which only has four

You can choose whatever brand you like but I have had great luck with Netgears switches.

You need an 802.1p compliant switch with it at least 8 ports unless I miscounted your wires well anyway one port for each wire and a port to go to the lan on your RG which only has four

You can choose whatever brand you like but I have had great luck with Netgears switches.

15 of 17 (662 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 6:22:10 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by turtlebud on Mar 26, 2014 at 7:07:00 PM

went out to get a crimper and some rj45 jacks and was all ready to put jacks on the end of the white cables (which I assumed were ethernet).  turns out, those are coax cables.

i unscrewed the ethernet wall jack in the den and found that the blue wires run to this wall jack.  the blue wires are currently plugged into the usTec UX-226 module.  does anyone know how that works?  Is the UX-226 essentially a switch?  Do I just plug the RG into the UX-226?

I was also able to identify which ethernet wire which goes to the den by connecting a laptop to the ethernet jack in the den, then connecting the cables in sets of 4 from the usTec box and seeing which one was active.

Will the Uverse Tech know how hook up the RG to the UX-226 to connect it to the STB or maybe they need to just connect the RG directly to the STB cable in the network box?

EDIT: Figured it out - apparently the UX-226 is a POTS box.  Search for RJ31X Line Intercept and found a post that explained it. 

http://superuser.com/questions/478129/how-do-i-use-this-home-ethernet-wiring-box

Looks like I should have the RG set up per user my_thoughts suggestion with port 1 connected to cable which runs to Family Room & port 2 connect to cable running to Den.

went out to get a crimper and some rj45 jacks and was all ready to put jacks on the end of the white cables (which I assumed were ethernet).  turns out, those are coax cables.

i unscrewed the ethernet wall jack in the den and found that the blue wires run to this wall jack.  the blue wires are currently plugged into the usTec UX-226 module.  does anyone know how that works?  Is the UX-226 essentially a switch?  Do I just plug the RG into the UX-226?

I was also able to identify which ethernet wire which goes to the den by connecting a laptop to the ethernet jack in the den, then connecting the cables in sets of 4 from the usTec box and seeing which one was active.

Will the Uverse Tech know how hook up the RG to the UX-226 to connect it to the STB or maybe they need to just connect the RG directly to the STB cable in the network box?

EDIT: Figured it out - apparently the UX-226 is a POTS box.  Search for RJ31X Line Intercept and found a post that explained it. 

http://superuser.com/questions/478129/how-do-i-use-this-home-ethernet-wiring-box

Looks like I should have the RG set up per user my_thoughts suggestion with port 1 connected to cable which runs to Family Room & port 2 connect to cable running to Den.

[ Edited ]
16 of 17 (588 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 10:04:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You are correct the 226 is for 4 line POTS.

If your 4 line cable is ethernet cat5e then you could use a Netgear switch and terminate both ends to 568B which will give you internet or STB connection to your RG.

IF you are using coax you will need the correct splitters and you would have to make sure the distribution amp is both compatible and two way.

The signal loss on more than a three way splitter on coax with fairly descent runs would cause issues hence the need for an amp.

Ethernet with the correct switch does not have these limitations.

You are correct the 226 is for 4 line POTS.

If your 4 line cable is ethernet cat5e then you could use a Netgear switch and terminate both ends to 568B which will give you internet or STB connection to your RG.

IF you are using coax you will need the correct splitters and you would have to make sure the distribution amp is both compatible and two way.

The signal loss on more than a three way splitter on coax with fairly descent runs would cause issues hence the need for an amp.

Ethernet with the correct switch does not have these limitations.

17 of 17 (570 Views)