Posted Jul 4, 2013
10:47:45 AM
View profile
TV DVR box whirring noise
Is it normal for the main dvr set-top boxes to make periodic whirring (like a hatd drive) noise when not on and not recording? This noise makes me kind of paranoid. OK,not really but I do womder if this moise is normal. Thanks.

TV DVR box whirring noise

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2013 11:36:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
sighborg - I believe if it is not very loud, it is normal as it is getting updates over the network or recording activities for other STBs. But, it is load enough for some to complain or move it from the bedroom.

If it gets quite load the HD could be breaking up.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: TV DVR box whirring noise

2 of 6 (821 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2013 9:14:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

sighborg wrote:
Is it normal for the main dvr set-top boxes to make periodic whirring (like a hatd drive) noise when not on and not recording? This noise makes me kind of paranoid. OK,not really but I do womder if this moise is normal. Thanks.

Make sure it has good ventilation under it, when they get hot they do tend to make more noise at times.  Mine I have raised up 1" to avoid this. 

I've had everything off in the living room trying to take a nap and could hear the DVR hard drive spooling up before starting to record something, downloading a Guide update and for other OK things. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 6 (775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2013 7:15:11 AM
(0)
Mentor
I'm getting flooding message and not sure if I'm signed on. Using Opera Mini because font is slightly bigger. Thanks for responses and not worry about noises.

4 of 6 (754 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2013 7:27:06 AM
(0)
Mentor
Sorry for that turse reply. I guess I'm signed on so thanks for suggestions about keeping dvr ventilated and noise level (and no mention of an NSA app inside box - jk!). I think some people are more "sensitive" to noises or live/work alone in quiet areas or whatever also. For me it's also because I'm in a new area and new home etc. Thanks and thanks for your time too.

5 of 6 (747 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2013 7:26:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by JefferMC on Jul 6, 2013 at 7:27:00 AM

Yes, it is normal (in a quiet room) to hear the DVR hard drive spin up, run for 30 seconds or so, and then spin back down when the DVR is in standby mode.  Our DVR is in the bedroom and it does this throughout the night.

[ Edited ]
6 of 6 (685 Views)