Helpful Links

TV DVR box whirring noise

Mentor

TV DVR box whirring noise

Is it normal for the main dvr set-top boxes to make periodic whirring (like a hatd drive) noise when not on and not recording? This noise makes me kind of paranoid. OK,not really but I do womder if this moise is normal. Thanks.
Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: TV DVR box whirring noise

sighborg - I believe if it is not very loud, it is normal as it is getting updates over the network or recording activities for other STBs. But, it is load enough for some to complain or move it from the bedroom.

If it gets quite load the HD could be breaking up.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
ACE - Expert

sighborg wrote:
Is it normal for the main dvr set-top boxes to make periodic whirring (like a hatd drive) noise when not on and not recording? This noise makes me kind of paranoid. OK,not really but I do womder if this moise is normal. Thanks.

Make sure it has good ventilation under it, when they get hot they do tend to make more noise at times.  Mine I have raised up 1" to avoid this. 

I've had everything off in the living room trying to take a nap and could hear the DVR hard drive spooling up before starting to record something, downloading a Guide update and for other OK things. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Mentor

I'm getting flooding message and not sure if I'm signed on. Using Opera Mini because font is slightly bigger. Thanks for responses and not worry about noises.
Message 4 of 6
Mentor

Sorry for that turse reply. I guess I'm signed on so thanks for suggestions about keeping dvr ventilated and noise level (and no mention of an NSA app inside box - jk!). I think some people are more "sensitive" to noises or live/work alone in quiet areas or whatever also. For me it's also because I'm in a new area and new home etc. Thanks and thanks for your time too.
Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert

Yes, it is normal (in a quiet room) to hear the DVR hard drive spin up, run for 30 seconds or so, and then spin back down when the DVR is in standby mode.  Our DVR is in the bedroom and it does this throughout the night.

Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support