Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 9, 2014
1:25:27 PM
View profile
TP-Link Wi-Fi Range Extender CLONE set up question

Hi All,

I have been unable to get this device to clone the SSID from the Uverse 2WIRE.

The instructions say to push the WPA button on the 2WIRE and then push the clone button on the device.  I've tried pushing the WPA button both manually (I think I'm pushing the right button) and remotely online, but neither works.

I called TP-Link and the CSA agreed the clone function wasn't working and sent me a utility to download (I assume to set something up manually).  Unfortunately I have a MAC and they don't have a utility that works on a MAC and I have no other option.

Does anyone know of any other way to get this setup? 

Thanks !   Linda

Hi All,

I have been unable to get this device to clone the SSID from the Uverse 2WIRE.

The instructions say to push the WPA button on the 2WIRE and then push the clone button on the device.  I've tried pushing the WPA button both manually (I think I'm pushing the right button) and remotely online, but neither works.

I called TP-Link and the CSA agreed the clone function wasn't working and sent me a utility to download (I assume to set something up manually).  Unfortunately I have a MAC and they don't have a utility that works on a MAC and I have no other option.

Does anyone know of any other way to get this setup? 

Thanks !   Linda

TP-Link Wi-Fi Range Extender CLONE set up question

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2014 1:35:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
lindaatjax - My first thought is that the WPS needs to be turned on in the RG. Go to -http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1

xecond item is - Wi-Fi Protected Setup

Box says disabled - change to enabled

Push button on new device then - Push WPS Button Remotely

Probably will ask for password. This is GUI password not wi-fi

Change back to disabled when done
lindaatjax - My first thought is that the WPS needs to be turned on in the RG. Go to -http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1

xecond item is - Wi-Fi Protected Setup

Box says disabled - change to enabled

Push button on new device then - Push WPS Button Remotely

Probably will ask for password. This is GUI password not wi-fi

Change back to disabled when done
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: TP-Link Wi-Fi Range Extender CLONE set up question

2 of 6 (1,788 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2014 2:41:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you Aviewer. 

I could definitely tell that the WPS was working because the light on the 2WIRE RG was blinking.  

Unfortunately the tp-link device still won't clone.   When I plug it into the outlet in the room I want to use it in, I'm getting great wi-fi signal but can't connect to it because it still has the tp-link SSID.  

Looks like I'm going to have to send it back.  Maybe it's just defective.

thanks !  Linda

Thank you Aviewer. 

I could definitely tell that the WPS was working because the light on the 2WIRE RG was blinking.  

Unfortunately the tp-link device still won't clone.   When I plug it into the outlet in the room I want to use it in, I'm getting great wi-fi signal but can't connect to it because it still has the tp-link SSID.  

Looks like I'm going to have to send it back.  Maybe it's just defective.

thanks !  Linda

3 of 6 (1,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2014 2:49:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
@lindaatjax - What is the model number. I will look up the manual & see if there is any suggestions.

Before that - Another thought - does it have a network jack. You can connect that to a computer & change the SSID via the GUI.

Of course, the whole idea of WSP is you should not need the SSID & security code. You are giving implicit permisiion with two WSP available. The rest should be automatic. You do not have a wired network connection?? That may interfere with the process.
@lindaatjax - What is the model number. I will look up the manual & see if there is any suggestions.

Before that - Another thought - does it have a network jack. You can connect that to a computer & change the SSID via the GUI.

Of course, the whole idea of WSP is you should not need the SSID & security code. You are giving implicit permisiion with two WSP available. The rest should be automatic. You do not have a wired network connection?? That may interfere with the process.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (1,769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 1:06:16 PM
(0)
Contributor
aviewer

Apologies for delay in responding… life gets in the way :-) BUT I am still interested in seeing if I can get the device to work and really appreciate your help !

The model is...

TP-LINK 300 Mbps Wi-Fi Range Extender

AV500 Powerline Edition TL-WPA4220
and
AV500 Powerline Adapter TL-PA4010

There's a network jack that plugs into the 2WIRE RG and there are 2 ethernet jacks on the remote device.

It makes sense that I should be able to manually sync the SSID but I have no idea how to do it. I assume the utility they sent would guide me, but since it doesn't work with MAC and that's all I have, I'm at a loss.
I may try to call again this afternoon and see if they have any other ideas.

Linda
aviewer

Apologies for delay in responding… life gets in the way :-) BUT I am still interested in seeing if I can get the device to work and really appreciate your help !

The model is...

TP-LINK 300 Mbps Wi-Fi Range Extender

AV500 Powerline Edition TL-WPA4220
and
AV500 Powerline Adapter TL-PA4010

There's a network jack that plugs into the 2WIRE RG and there are 2 ethernet jacks on the remote device.

It makes sense that I should be able to manually sync the SSID but I have no idea how to do it. I assume the utility they sent would guide me, but since it doesn't work with MAC and that's all I have, I'm at a loss.
I may try to call again this afternoon and see if they have any other ideas.

Linda

5 of 6 (1,704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2014 7:30:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
lindaatjax -
I looked at the manual for the TP link. It only says it is an N device. This is surprising because N devices also usually support b/g. If this device does not support b/g it is not going to be able to connect wirelessly to the U-verse network.
This device does work with WPS - http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2990041&q_sku=sku6610387&q_manufactu...

Why did you include the powerline info? Are you using that to extend the wired network & adding wireless from that. That is complicated & beyond my capabilities.
lindaatjax -
I looked at the manual for the TP link. It only says it is an N device. This is surprising because N devices also usually support b/g. If this device does not support b/g it is not going to be able to connect wirelessly to the U-verse network.
This device does work with WPS - http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2990041&q_sku=sku6610387&q_manufacturer=&q_model

Why did you include the powerline info? Are you using that to extend the wired network & adding wireless from that. That is complicated & beyond my capabilities.

6 of 6 (1,667 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments