Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 11, 2014
9:56:06 AM
Suddenly lost Uverse internet/ phone connection

I suddenly lost Uverse internet/ phone connection 2 days ago. Red light for Broadband was blinking. I called Tech Support (Michael) who scheduled repair service next day to check outside connection. I was told I would get confirmation phone call when repair work is complete. I never got any phone call but when I came home from work the internet was working so I assumed it was fixed. This morning the red light was blinking again. I checked internet connection and sure enough it was not working. I called Tech Support again and talked to Mayflor. She could not confirm if a technician actually came to our house. I happened to have pre-existing order for Uverse TV installation this afternoon and  she said the TV installers will check internet connection. To confirm all this, I called Tech Support again and got Deo. When I asked if a technician came to our house yesterday, she only said they were scheduled to come between 8 - 12 (I knew that too). Then she said she would have to close the existing repair order and send another technician. She said the TV installers are not qualified to repair internet connection. Then after a long hold she came back saying that they actually can repair the internet connection. ????? So that is where it stands right now. Hopefully the TV guys coming this afternoon can take care of everything but I am really disappointed about the quality of ATT customer service. Does anybody know what's going on?

I suddenly lost Uverse internet/ phone connection 2 days ago. Red light for Broadband was blinking. I called Tech Support (Michael) who scheduled repair service next day to check outside connection. I was told I would get confirmation phone call when repair work is complete. I never got any phone call but when I came home from work the internet was working so I assumed it was fixed. This morning the red light was blinking again. I checked internet connection and sure enough it was not working. I called Tech Support again and talked to Mayflor. She could not confirm if a technician actually came to our house. I happened to have pre-existing order for Uverse TV installation this afternoon and  she said the TV installers will check internet connection. To confirm all this, I called Tech Support again and got Deo. When I asked if a technician came to our house yesterday, she only said they were scheduled to come between 8 - 12 (I knew that too). Then she said she would have to close the existing repair order and send another technician. She said the TV installers are not qualified to repair internet connection. Then after a long hold she came back saying that they actually can repair the internet connection. ????? So that is where it stands right now. Hopefully the TV guys coming this afternoon can take care of everything but I am really disappointed about the quality of ATT customer service. Does anybody know what's going on?

Suddenly lost Uverse internet/ phone connection

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2014 10:18:48 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi @lilychan,

I am so sorry about the issues you are having with your U-verse services and customer service experience, but I will be glad to help. My only thoughts for the confusion is that she may have thought the issue was a line issue. When the broadband light is blinking red, it means there is no signal making it to your U-verse router. If it is a line issue, then it would require a line technician to go out. With our install technicians, they are able to handle most issues, but if it is a line issue, they also have the ability to escalate the case to a line technician so they can get that fixed and get your services installed. I am so sorry about the confusions, but I am confident the technician coming out today will be able to take the appropriate actions to get your internet fixed and TV installed.

I will also have my teams send you a private message so we can follow up with you.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi @lilychan,

I am so sorry about the issues you are having with your U-verse services and customer service experience, but I will be glad to help. My only thoughts for the confusion is that she may have thought the issue was a line issue. When the broadband light is blinking red, it means there is no signal making it to your U-verse router. If it is a line issue, then it would require a line technician to go out. With our install technicians, they are able to handle most issues, but if it is a line issue, they also have the ability to escalate the case to a line technician so they can get that fixed and get your services installed. I am so sorry about the confusions, but I am confident the technician coming out today will be able to take the appropriate actions to get your internet fixed and TV installed.

I will also have my teams send you a private message so we can follow up with you.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Suddenly lost Uverse internet/ phone connection

2 of 9 (385 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2014 11:41:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
lilychan - U-verse has three services - TV, Internet and VOIP. All three ride a "DSL" broadband signal, which rides a physical pair.
If the physical pair has an open or non-connection you will lose all services.
If the DSL Broadband has an electronic failure you will lose all services.
The three individual services may fail due to electronic or software or in-house wiring problems that affect only that one service.

The DSL broadband must be working in order to install TV. The TV installers would be inside techs. They may need an outside tech to clear a fault in the DSL.
lilychan - U-verse has three services - TV, Internet and VOIP. All three ride a "DSL" broadband signal, which rides a physical pair.
If the physical pair has an open or non-connection you will lose all services.
If the DSL Broadband has an electronic failure you will lose all services.
The three individual services may fail due to electronic or software or in-house wiring problems that affect only that one service.

The DSL broadband must be working in order to install TV. The TV installers would be inside techs. They may need an outside tech to clear a fault in the DSL.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2014 2:56:07 PM
(0)
Tutor
It turns out there was a service outage in my area (for 3 days!) which fortunately resolved today. Meanwhile the TV installer came yesterday and replaced our router with a new one to "accommodate the TV addition". But because of that all our wireless network devices (cell phone, printer, laptop, etc.) had to be reconfigured. Shouldn't the installer have been able to configure the new router with the same wireless settings as original router so all wireless network devices could be automatically connected to the new network router?
It turns out there was a service outage in my area (for 3 days!) which fortunately resolved today. Meanwhile the TV installer came yesterday and replaced our router with a new one to "accommodate the TV addition". But because of that all our wireless network devices (cell phone, printer, laptop, etc.) had to be reconfigured. Shouldn't the installer have been able to configure the new router with the same wireless settings as original router so all wireless network devices could be automatically connected to the new network router?

4 of 9 (343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2014 4:04:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
lilychan - Or, he could have given you the option of how you want to set it up. Let you know what your choices are. Change the password on each devoice to match the new modem or change the modem to match the devices. Here is the link to the modem - http://192.168.1.254/ click on wireless. The gui password & default wi-fi code are on the modem.
lilychan - Or, he could have given you the option of how you want to set it up. Let you know what your choices are. Change the password on each devoice to match the new modem or change the modem to match the devices. Here is the link to the modem - http://192.168.1.254/ click on wireless. The gui password & default wi-fi code are on the modem.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 9 (332 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 8:31:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

Or, he could have given you the option of how you want to set it up. Let you know what your choices are. 

He did neither of the above. That is why I had to change the password of each of my wireless devices to match the new modem.

Or, he could have given you the option of how you want to set it up. Let you know what your choices are. 

He did neither of the above. That is why I had to change the password of each of my wireless devices to match the new modem.

6 of 9 (284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 10:38:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

lilychan wrote:

To be honest, there are so many options you could customize that he could literally spend over an hour goign through and trying to setup your new modem with all the options you had set on your old modem. It is easy for me to understand why he left it set with the defaults, as that is how he is trained to set up the devices.  Personally, I would have expected that, and I would have planned to go into the RG and perform all my own customizations as soon as he was out the door.  It would probably have been quicker for you to go in and change the RG settings than to go to each of your devices and changing the connection settings on each one.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

lilychan wrote:

To be honest, there are so many options you could customize that he could literally spend over an hour goign through and trying to setup your new modem with all the options you had set on your old modem. It is easy for me to understand why he left it set with the defaults, as that is how he is trained to set up the devices.  Personally, I would have expected that, and I would have planned to go into the RG and perform all my own customizations as soon as he was out the door.  It would probably have been quicker for you to go in and change the RG settings than to go to each of your devices and changing the connection settings on each one.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

7 of 9 (273 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 12:53:58 PM
(0)
Tutor

It would probably have been quicker for you to go in and change the RG settings than to go to each of your devices and changing the connection settings on each one.

Sadly I am not as tech saavy. I did end up going into each of my devices and changing the connection settings. The printer took the longest time as I could not figure out how to make the change. After much frustration, I stuck in the installation CD and started from there. It would have nice if the installer had simply asked.

It would probably have been quicker for you to go in and change the RG settings than to go to each of your devices and changing the connection settings on each one.

Sadly I am not as tech saavy. I did end up going into each of my devices and changing the connection settings. The printer took the longest time as I could not figure out how to make the change. After much frustration, I stuck in the installation CD and started from there. It would have nice if the installer had simply asked.

8 of 9 (260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 2:30:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

lilychan wrote:

Yes, it would have been nicer if he asked, but then they also would have probably have had to charge you for the custom install that would have probably cost you $100+ more that what you were already paying for the installation services.  You have to understand that they give you a basic setup for the fee. If you want more, they will have to charge more.  I don't know of any ISP setup technician who will voluntarily go in and do a custom RG setup for the customer without having to charge excessive installation fees, and many won't even offer it for that...

I'm sorry to hear that you had difficulties getting everythign working on your new setup.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

lilychan wrote:

Yes, it would have been nicer if he asked, but then they also would have probably have had to charge you for the custom install that would have probably cost you $100+ more that what you were already paying for the installation services.  You have to understand that they give you a basic setup for the fee. If you want more, they will have to charge more.  I don't know of any ISP setup technician who will voluntarily go in and do a custom RG setup for the customer without having to charge excessive installation fees, and many won't even offer it for that...

I'm sorry to hear that you had difficulties getting everythign working on your new setup.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

9 of 9 (240 Views)