Stopping VOIP starting Magicjack

Contributor

Stopping VOIP starting Magicjack

Am trying to save some $ and want to drop ATT VOIP and start Magicjack.  1) Plan to call ATT to disconnect and then install Magicjack and use the ATT gateway modem for HS internet access. Is this a recommended sequence, or should I do Magicjack first?  2) Magicjack advertises that I can keep my old phone number.  Does ATT have a say in that?  I assume that means that I will no longer be listed in their directory and essentially have an unlisted number, correct?

Thanks for any input!

Message 1 of 8 (5,414 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Stopping VOIP starting Magicjack

tome19 - I think if you want to port your number you work through magic Jack & they get the number from att & cancel on porting. If you cancel att first you have lost your number. Magic Jack should advise how to do it.

There have been posts of people having number porting problems. The ones with no problems do not post.

Seems like if you do not have an att number you will not be in the next directory.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8 (5,409 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for your feedback! Will let the community know how it goes.  Unfortunately Magicjack operates through its website and from what I've seen online, it is difficult to get a person to talk to.  So, I will wing it. 

You talked about a port number, what format does that come in?

Message 3 of 8 (5,396 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

ome19 - When you move your existing number, it is called porting the number or you port the number from one provider to another. I believe, it derives from the idea that the number is portable.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 8 (5,379 Views)
Contributor

I have been using majic jack for 6 months and now I can't call out or receive calls, it started 10 days ago.  My phone has message on it saying check phone line.  All parts of majic jack are working and phone is charged in full.  What could be wrong with my phone line?

Message 5 of 8 (4,230 Views)
Expert

This is the Uverse peer to peer forum for Uverse subscribers.  Are you an AT&T sub?

Message 6 of 8 (4,182 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

tome19 wrote:

Am trying to save some $ and want to drop ATT VOIP and start Magicjack.  1) Plan to call ATT to disconnect and then install Magicjack and use the ATT gateway modem for HS internet access. Is this a recommended sequence, or should I do Magicjack first?  2) Magicjack advertises that I can keep my old phone number.  Does ATT have a say in that?  I assume that means that I will no longer be listed in their directory and essentially have an unlisted number, correct?

Thanks for any input!

I'm planning on doing this soon too. I've heard horror stories that AT&T actually drops your U-verse internet when the number is ported out to magic jack. I want to know how your porting process went and did you have a smooth transition from AT&T U-Verse Voice to Magic Jack? Or if anyone knows, can you please give me your input on this. Thanks.

Message 7 of 8 (1,406 Views)
ACE - Expert

les90 - Mistakes can happen, but the internet service should not be affected by canceling voice. It would be more likely a problem with DSL because phone & DSL were more tightly coupled.

I think I did see posts where people were unable to port the number from u-verse voice. They needed to transfer from voice to POTS first. Then port from POTS. Which sounds crazy. Try voice to MJ first.

The important thing is to not cancel your number first. If you do that it will be gone. It still needs to be your account when MJ comes asking for it.

Message 8 of 8 (1,398 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.