Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 10, 2013
7:23:39 PM
Speed of service

My kids have always said I was behind the times.   So I thought I would show them and upgrade our internet service when I saw the ad for ATT Uverse.  Well, they were totally right.   What a MAJOR mistake.   Our access has dropped to a literal crawl.  I remember dial-up access being this slow.  I made a major mistake by switching to this service and can't afford to switch it off.  $180 termination fee is robbery for this terrible speed.    From now on, no decisions without   first consulting my 20-something kids and letting them do the pertinent research.  Thank goodness they made the call for our cell phones and we did not go with ATT there.    

My kids have always said I was behind the times.   So I thought I would show them and upgrade our internet service when I saw the ad for ATT Uverse.  Well, they were totally right.   What a MAJOR mistake.   Our access has dropped to a literal crawl.  I remember dial-up access being this slow.  I made a major mistake by switching to this service and can't afford to switch it off.  $180 termination fee is robbery for this terrible speed.    From now on, no decisions without   first consulting my 20-something kids and letting them do the pertinent research.  Thank goodness they made the call for our cell phones and we did not go with ATT there.    

Speed of service

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 7:01:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Im not sure what happened with your installation, but it is definitely not the norm everywhere.

I have had U-Verse service for a little over 2 years now, and before that I had AT&T DSL.  When I had DSL, I was paying 2 phone lines + 6 Mbps DSL and it was costing me about $150-160 a month.  WHen I moved to U-Verse, I kept one old phone line, and switched the other to U-Verse Voice, then I updated to 12 Mbps UVerse High Speed Internet.  My monthly bill dropped to about $130 a month for the first year, and after that it has been about $140 a month.  Note that in this price drop, my internet max speed doubled.

Now let's look at my internet speeds.  When I was on DSL, I was paying for 6 Mbps service, and I averages 4.8-5.3 Mbps service.  Now that I have 12 Mbps UVerse service, I constsly get 11.8x Mbps download service rates.  Now that I a m paying less, I get a better performance for my internet service.  I know of another peroson who upgraded to the 18 Mbps service and they cosistently get 17.9x Mbps download rates.  I don't know of anyone in my area that is paying for 12 Mbps and getting less than 11 Mbps service.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Im not sure what happened with your installation, but it is definitely not the norm everywhere.

I have had U-Verse service for a little over 2 years now, and before that I had AT&T DSL.  When I had DSL, I was paying 2 phone lines + 6 Mbps DSL and it was costing me about $150-160 a month.  WHen I moved to U-Verse, I kept one old phone line, and switched the other to U-Verse Voice, then I updated to 12 Mbps UVerse High Speed Internet.  My monthly bill dropped to about $130 a month for the first year, and after that it has been about $140 a month.  Note that in this price drop, my internet max speed doubled.

Now let's look at my internet speeds.  When I was on DSL, I was paying for 6 Mbps service, and I averages 4.8-5.3 Mbps service.  Now that I have 12 Mbps UVerse service, I constsly get 11.8x Mbps download service rates.  Now that I a m paying less, I get a better performance for my internet service.  I know of another peroson who upgraded to the 18 Mbps service and they cosistently get 17.9x Mbps download rates.  I don't know of anyone in my area that is paying for 12 Mbps and getting less than 11 Mbps service.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Speed of service

2 of 9 (312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 9:38:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Your speed issues could be anything in the list below:

• you bought too little,
  • you're too far from the point where your service goes on to copper wires for good speeds,
  • you're close enough, but theres a problem with your lines that needs fixing
  • you've got good speed all the way to your NID, but there's a problem between the NID (on your house) to the RG
  • your RG is getting a good signal, but you've got a bad connection (either wired or wireless) to your PC

A bad wireless connection could be a bad RG, or too much congestion.

So, can we step back and get some details.

Your speed issues could be anything in the list below:

• you bought too little,
  • you're too far from the point where your service goes on to copper wires for good speeds,
  • you're close enough, but theres a problem with your lines that needs fixing
  • you've got good speed all the way to your NID, but there's a problem between the NID (on your house) to the RG
  • your RG is getting a good signal, but you've got a bad connection (either wired or wireless) to your PC

A bad wireless connection could be a bad RG, or too much congestion.

So, can we step back and get some details.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2013 6:49:32 AM
(0)
Mentor

I have had Uverse for about 4 years and never had a problem with the internet speed until today. I have 12mbps and curently getting 0.46 download and 1.47 upload? I am wirless for internet and have a good signal. Do you think re-booting the RG will help?

I have had Uverse for about 4 years and never had a problem with the internet speed until today. I have 12mbps and curently getting 0.46 download and 1.47 upload? I am wirless for internet and have a good signal. Do you think re-booting the RG will help?

4 of 9 (237 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2013 7:39:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Jessme_1 wrote:

Are you getting the same speed with both wired and wireless connections?

Jessme_1 wrote:

Are you getting the same speed with both wired and wireless connections?

5 of 9 (233 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2013 8:01:58 AM
(0)
Mentor

Havent tried a wired connection. Everything was fine yesterday. Ill give it a shot though. Any chance there will be a realtime tool for MAC?

Havent tried a wired connection. Everything was fine yesterday. Ill give it a shot though. Any chance there will be a realtime tool for MAC?

6 of 9 (230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2013 9:41:38 AM
(0)
Employee

Hello DisappoinedInWhitehouse,

I'm sorry your recent upgrade did not result in faster speeds for you. JefferMC listed some very good possible causes of your slow connection and I would like to help you identify the source of trouble and coordinate a resolution. I was able to locate your account and perform some tests. I have sent you a private message to discuss the results and gather additional details to assist you further.

SadathCS

ATTU-verseCare

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hello DisappoinedInWhitehouse,

I'm sorry your recent upgrade did not result in faster speeds for you. JefferMC listed some very good possible causes of your slow connection and I would like to help you identify the source of trouble and coordinate a resolution. I was able to locate your account and perform some tests. I have sent you a private message to discuss the results and gather additional details to assist you further.

SadathCS

ATTU-verseCare

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 9 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2013 9:16:08 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi Jessme_1,

I have received your message and will be glad to look further into this for you. Be on the look out for a reply shortly!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi Jessme_1,

I have received your message and will be glad to look further into this for you. Be on the look out for a reply shortly!

-David T

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 9 (190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2013 12:42:34 PM
(0)
Employee

Hello DisappoinedInWh…,

I recently offered assistance to help you resolve the trouble with your Internet service. If you still need assistance please let me know.

Thank You,

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

Hello DisappoinedInWh…,

I recently offered assistance to help you resolve the trouble with your Internet service. If you still need assistance please let me know.

Thank You,

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

9 of 9 (159 Views)