Speed of service

Contributor

Speed of service

My kids have always said I was behind the times.   So I thought I would show them and upgrade our internet service when I saw the ad for ATT Uverse.  Well, they were totally right.   What a MAJOR mistake.   Our access has dropped to a literal crawl.  I remember dial-up access being this slow.  I made a major mistake by switching to this service and can't afford to switch it off.  $180 termination fee is robbery for this terrible speed.    From now on, no decisions without   first consulting my 20-something kids and letting them do the pertinent research.  Thank goodness they made the call for our cell phones and we did not go with ATT there.    

Message 1 of 9 (447 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Re: Speed of service

Im not sure what happened with your installation, but it is definitely not the norm everywhere.

I have had U-Verse service for a little over 2 years now, and before that I had AT&T DSL.  When I had DSL, I was paying 2 phone lines + 6 Mbps DSL and it was costing me about $150-160 a month.  WHen I moved to U-Verse, I kept one old phone line, and switched the other to U-Verse Voice, then I updated to 12 Mbps UVerse High Speed Internet.  My monthly bill dropped to about $130 a month for the first year, and after that it has been about $140 a month.  Note that in this price drop, my internet max speed doubled.

Now let's look at my internet speeds.  When I was on DSL, I was paying for 6 Mbps service, and I averages 4.8-5.3 Mbps service.  Now that I have 12 Mbps UVerse service, I constsly get 11.8x Mbps download service rates.  Now that I a m paying less, I get a better performance for my internet service.  I know of another peroson who upgraded to the 18 Mbps service and they cosistently get 17.9x Mbps download rates.  I don't know of anyone in my area that is paying for 12 Mbps and getting less than 11 Mbps service.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9 (420 Views)
ACE - Expert

Your speed issues could be anything in the list below:

• you bought too little,
  • you're too far from the point where your service goes on to copper wires for good speeds,
  • you're close enough, but theres a problem with your lines that needs fixing
  • you've got good speed all the way to your NID, but there's a problem between the NID (on your house) to the RG
  • your RG is getting a good signal, but you've got a bad connection (either wired or wireless) to your PC

A bad wireless connection could be a bad RG, or too much congestion.

So, can we step back and get some details.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9 (402 Views)
Mentor

I have had Uverse for about 4 years and never had a problem with the internet speed until today. I have 12mbps and curently getting 0.46 download and 1.47 upload? I am wirless for internet and have a good signal. Do you think re-booting the RG will help?

Message 4 of 9 (345 Views)
Expert

Jessme_1 wrote:

I have had Uverse for about 4 years and never had a problem with the internet speed until today. I have 12mbps and curently getting 0.46 download and 1.47 upload? I am wirless for internet and have a good signal. Do you think re-booting the RG will help?

Are you getting the same speed with both wired and wireless connections?

Message 5 of 9 (341 Views)
Mentor

Havent tried a wired connection. Everything was fine yesterday. Ill give it a shot though. Any chance there will be a realtime tool for MAC?

Message 6 of 9 (338 Views)
Employee

Hello DisappoinedInWhitehouse,

I'm sorry your recent upgrade did not result in faster speeds for you. JefferMC listed some very good possible causes of your slow connection and I would like to help you identify the source of trouble and coordinate a resolution. I was able to locate your account and perform some tests. I have sent you a private message to discuss the results and gather additional details to assist you further.

SadathCS

ATTU-verseCare

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 9 (327 Views)
Community Support

Hi Jessme_1,

I have received your message and will be glad to look further into this for you. Be on the look out for a reply shortly!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 9 (298 Views)
Employee

Hello DisappoinedInWh…,

I recently offered assistance to help you resolve the trouble with your Internet service. If you still need assistance please let me know.

Thank You,

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

Employee Contributor*
Message 9 of 9 (267 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.