Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 4, 2013
12:41:07 PM
View profile
Southern California Gateways?

Just wondering what wireless gateways are available in Southern California. Was only offered the 3800HGV which is totally unacceptable to me since it is a 5+ year old device and as only "G" capabilities. I've been using "N" for at least 4-5 years with our AT&T DSL service and can't figure out why we must "step-back" to use the forced U-Verse service in our area. The original sales rep told us we would not get a "2-Wire" router and the resulting phone-calls have been very difficult for me, the last three phone people are simply awful putting me on hold for ages and never coming up with a solution. Unfortunately, our change over "total home" service is on hold until AT&T can get me a responsible agent!

BTW...the installer/repair guy was at helpfully and knowledgeable but could not overcome the AT&T rules.

Thanks for reading my vent...Darryl

Just wondering what wireless gateways are available in Southern California. Was only offered the 3800HGV which is totally unacceptable to me since it is a 5+ year old device and as only "G" capabilities. I've been using "N" for at least 4-5 years with our AT&T DSL service and can't figure out why we must "step-back" to use the forced U-Verse service in our area. The original sales rep told us we would not get a "2-Wire" router and the resulting phone-calls have been very difficult for me, the last three phone people are simply awful putting me on hold for ages and never coming up with a solution. Unfortunately, our change over "total home" service is on hold until AT&T can get me a responsible agent!

BTW...the installer/repair guy was at helpfully and knowledgeable but could not overcome the AT&T rules.

Thanks for reading my vent...Darryl

Southern California Gateways?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2013 12:55:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
There are currently no U-verese gateways with wireless N being deployed. No amount of phone calls will change that.

You will either get the 3800HGV-B or the 3801HGV depending on what is on stock. If you want wireless N, you can place your own router behing the U-verse RG.
There are currently no U-verese gateways with wireless N being deployed. No amount of phone calls will change that.

You will either get the 3800HGV-B or the 3801HGV depending on what is on stock. If you want wireless N, you can place your own router behing the U-verse RG.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Southern California Gateways?

2 of 5 (198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2013 1:07:11 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by airphoto on Jul 4, 2013 at 1:08:24 PM
Maybe they offer a modem without the "phone & TV" services so I continue using my current "better" solution! Smiley Sad  

Maybe they offer a modem without the "phone & TV" services so I continue using my current "better" solution! Smiley Sad  

[ Edited ]
3 of 5 (191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2013 1:34:03 PM
(0)
Employee
There is the NVG510 gateway that has N capability and is used only on adsl2+ circuits, not on vdsl circuit that you indicated your on. You may see if they can put you this will support phones but not TV service, freely up a vdsl port for a customer who actually desires "true" uverse .

The NVG589 is a recently released product currently in limited markets ith N support. Presently only to be used on NEW bonded pair pairs installs (greater than 3000 feet) has both single and bonded install options. YES there are exceptions to the the RULES but should not expect them to be made. As more 589 are released should see easing of restrictions but may need to wait 6-12 months.

Was the original sales rep a door to door (non ATT employee) or store(possible non employee) or phone rep (possible new or poorly trained employee). As with all contracts only what is wriitten down and approved official can be taken as value word of mouth is nothing more than opinion, as are 99% of comments found on forums like this.

I tried to give the best info I have to the best of my knowledge and abilities but I can be wrong just not on purpose . Again best to you while making your decision to continue with your install or wait for other options.
There is the NVG510 gateway that has N capability and is used only on adsl2+ circuits, not on vdsl circuit that you indicated your on. You may see if they can put you this will support phones but not TV service, freely up a vdsl port for a customer who actually desires "true" uverse .

The NVG589 is a recently released product currently in limited markets ith N support. Presently only to be used on NEW bonded pair pairs installs (greater than 3000 feet) has both single and bonded install options. YES there are exceptions to the the RULES but should not expect them to be made. As more 589 are released should see easing of restrictions but may need to wait 6-12 months.

Was the original sales rep a door to door (non ATT employee) or store(possible non employee) or phone rep (possible new or poorly trained employee). As with all contracts only what is wriitten down and approved official can be taken as value word of mouth is nothing more than opinion, as are 99% of comments found on forums like this.

I tried to give the best info I have to the best of my knowledge and abilities but I can be wrong just not on purpose . Again best to you while making your decision to continue with your install or wait for other options.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 5 (172 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2013 1:38:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

airphoto wrote:

Which U-verse services do you have?  If you are an internet only customer, there are wireless N gateways; however, those gateways must be purchased by the customer.

airphoto wrote:

Which U-verse services do you have?  If you are an internet only customer, there are wireless N gateways; however, those gateways must be purchased by the customer.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 5 (166 Views)