Posted May 13, 2013
5:13:10 AM
View profile
Sound Issue

I have noticed on several HD stations the sound cuts out intermittently.  I have noticed it on GSN (1173) and G4 (1149).  The issue does not occur on SD channels.  Also the issue is not there when the digital audio is set to stereo, onky when ut us set to surround sound under the system options menu.   I have replaced the STB and the issue is still present.  Anyy suggestions?

I have noticed on several HD stations the sound cuts out intermittently.  I have noticed it on GSN (1173) and G4 (1149).  The issue does not occur on SD channels.  Also the issue is not there when the digital audio is set to stereo, onky when ut us set to surround sound under the system options menu.   I have replaced the STB and the issue is still present.  Anyy suggestions?

Sound Issue

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2013 6:05:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

This surround sound issue has been encountered by many and is dependant on the particular model of STB/DVR and or reciever/amplifier involved.  Search a little harder and I'm sure you'll find many posts.  I'd suggest terms like "AUDIO DROPOUT" perhaps.

This surround sound issue has been encountered by many and is dependant on the particular model of STB/DVR and or reciever/amplifier involved.  Search a little harder and I'm sure you'll find many posts.  I'd suggest terms like "AUDIO DROPOUT" perhaps.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Sound Issue

2 of 7 (293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2013 8:01:29 AM
(0)
Mentor

Could not find any additional suggestions on how to correct the issue, and it is beginning to really be annoying.  FYI my amplifier is anm ONKYO TX-NR1010.  Any help would so greatly be appreciated.

Could not find any additional suggestions on how to correct the issue, and it is beginning to really be annoying.  FYI my amplifier is anm ONKYO TX-NR1010.  Any help would so greatly be appreciated.

3 of 7 (248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2013 8:20:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
fkubacak - When you switch from SD chan to HD chan do you change any audio settings?? If not - SD chans are stereo & HD chans have surround capability.

If you do not change anything, the receiver must be doing it automatically. This would take time to sample the signal & possibly cause the problem if the U-verse feed looses the surround momentarily. See if you can find a fixed setting in the receiver and set it to surround. This may smooth the sound and prevent the problem.

Of course, it does introduce the problem of different sound settings for SD & HD
fkubacak - When you switch from SD chan to HD chan do you change any audio settings?? If not - SD chans are stereo & HD chans have surround capability.

If you do not change anything, the receiver must be doing it automatically. This would take time to sample the signal & possibly cause the problem if the U-verse feed looses the surround momentarily. See if you can find a fixed setting in the receiver and set it to surround. This may smooth the sound and prevent the problem.

Of course, it does introduce the problem of different sound settings for SD & HD
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 7 (245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2013 8:32:53 AM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks for the response, I have tried number fields and have had no success.  Some HD stations have the sound cut out all the time and others do periodically.  I have noticed on the display of the receiver the sound incoming changes thereby causing this.

Thanks for the response, I have tried number fields and have had no success.  Some HD stations have the sound cut out all the time and others do periodically.  I have noticed on the display of the receiver the sound incoming changes thereby causing this.

5 of 7 (242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2013 8:43:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Re: I have noticed on the display of the receiver the sound incoming changes thereby causing this.
Yes, that should not happen, but does. Probably hard to get that fixed. maybe you could report specific cases to attcustomercare via PM.

My suggestion is to try to get the rcvr to ignore it. I guess your first sentence says you cannot find such a setting. Maybe call Onkyo,

KInd of ironic to buy a device to be very sensitive, to accurately reproduce what it receives & need a way to ignore certain signals.
Re: I have noticed on the display of the receiver the sound incoming changes thereby causing this.
Yes, that should not happen, but does. Probably hard to get that fixed. maybe you could report specific cases to attcustomercare via PM.

My suggestion is to try to get the rcvr to ignore it. I guess your first sentence says you cannot find such a setting. Maybe call Onkyo,

KInd of ironic to buy a device to be very sensitive, to accurately reproduce what it receives & need a way to ignore certain signals.

6 of 7 (239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 5:23:47 AM
(0)
Mentor

My DVR finally died and was sent the new Motorola 2250, not only has the sound issue been corrected, but the picture is significantly sharper.

My DVR finally died and was sent the new Motorola 2250, not only has the sound issue been corrected, but the picture is significantly sharper.

7 of 7 (130 Views)