Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 16, 2014
11:57:25 PM
View profile
Solved Uverse VDSL with router behind gateway... phone can't call AT&T support (or any AT&T phone?)

Recently ran into a unique problem on a home network... the phone wouldn't call certain numbers.

I dialed AT&T support 800-288-2020 dead silence.

Tried again but accidentally dialed 800-228-2020 and got antiques.com.

It turned out most were AT&T numbers and many technical support numbers even those for AT&T, Comcast, MCI... (I guess that way they limit competition and reduce complaint calls)

AT&T  "talked" (forced) her to VDSL UVerse saying phone + internet was cheaper than internet only.

They upgraded from 2701HG-B ADSL2 gateway to a new 5031NV.

Network includes Linksys WRT54G router w/ddwrt firmware in DMZ providing subnet/VPN for office.

The 5031NV was public for entertainment and kids.

Earlier I swapped the WRT54G with a switch to let the 5031NV handle all traffic but network slowed to a crawl and crashed every few hours so I replaced the WRT54G. (didn't know about phone problem then)

AT&T sent a tech who verified phone problem, checked everything, exchanged 5031NV and left.

Half hour later I checked and problem was back.

Solution:

I changed the WRT54G to Access-Point only mode. It handles most of the WiFi traffic.

Lose security of extra firewall/nat/VPN but stability and speed improve... and phone works!

Recently ran into a unique problem on a home network... the phone wouldn't call certain numbers.

I dialed AT&T support 800-288-2020 dead silence.

Tried again but accidentally dialed 800-228-2020 and got antiques.com.

It turned out most were AT&T numbers and many technical support numbers even those for AT&T, Comcast, MCI... (I guess that way they limit competition and reduce complaint calls)

AT&T  "talked" (forced) her to VDSL UVerse saying phone + internet was cheaper than internet only.

They upgraded from 2701HG-B ADSL2 gateway to a new 5031NV.

Network includes Linksys WRT54G router w/ddwrt firmware in DMZ providing subnet/VPN for office.

The 5031NV was public for entertainment and kids.

Earlier I swapped the WRT54G with a switch to let the 5031NV handle all traffic but network slowed to a crawl and crashed every few hours so I replaced the WRT54G. (didn't know about phone problem then)

AT&T sent a tech who verified phone problem, checked everything, exchanged 5031NV and left.

Half hour later I checked and problem was back.

Solution:

I changed the WRT54G to Access-Point only mode. It handles most of the WiFi traffic.

Lose security of extra firewall/nat/VPN but stability and speed improve... and phone works!

Solved Uverse VDSL with router behind gateway... phone can't call AT&T support (or any AT&T phone?)

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2014 4:17:14 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi DaveTap,

Thank you for sharing that solution with us. We are still working towards finding a solution where you can still setup your secondary router as a router. Currently, we are not able to simulate this issue, but we are still looking into all possible avenues. It does not appear to happen with all routers.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi DaveTap,

Thank you for sharing that solution with us. We are still working towards finding a solution where you can still setup your secondary router as a router. Currently, we are not able to simulate this issue, but we are still looking into all possible avenues. It does not appear to happen with all routers.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Solved Uverse VDSL with router behind gateway... phone can't call AT&T support (or any AT&am

2 of 2 (190 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments