Smaller, Alternative Gateway?

Contributor

Smaller, Alternative Gateway?

Are there smaller U-verse residential gateways available?

I have a 2-wire 3600HGV gateway which I self installed in April. However, it takes up a large amount of the available space in my wiring closet. It replaced a DSL modem that was the size of a paperback book. The 2-wire is the size of a desktop dictionary.

I have wireless disabled on the 2-Wire and my own router/firewall directly behind it. The phone line comes in one side of the 2-Wire and one ethernet cable runs directly into my router/firewall.

I only have internet service. I don't plan on getting television or voice service.

Are there any gateway alternatives that are smaller? Something more the size of a normal 4 or 8 port wireless router? Or even better, the size of my old DSL modem.

I would conside changing service plans, up or down, if I can get a smaller gateway.

Message 1 of 12 (913 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Smaller, Alternative Gateway?

[ Edited ]

Everything is about the same size as it's a gateway, not just a router or modem, actually both in one. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12 (909 Views)
Contributor

Don't need the router/wireless function. Just need a modem. Just need AT&T to be a dumb pipe.

The gateway is just a bigger box stuffed with stuff I don't need or want.

For me it means:

- More stuff to configure/turn off

- More stuff to go wrong/break

- More waste heat getting dumped in my closet

Message 3 of 12 (899 Views)
Teacher

I have a similar question for different reasons. Setting up the Gateway and keeping it working has been a pain... sometimes it works for months or a year but when it goes down, it is a real pain.

My RG 3800 was configured as a "dumb pipe" to my Airport Time Capsule.  This week I upgraded my home security system to "dial out" on broadband.  The security system tech was new and had to restore to standard ATT setup.  First step was to unplug the Time Capsule and set the 3800 to doing NAT and wireless.  I left Time Capsule sitting unpluged in hopes that I could change a few settings on the RG and then simply plug everything back in.  The 3800 is not reconfiguring ... long story so I am asking the question.  Do I need a 3800?  Why not just a simple modem?  We don't need TV capability.  What we do need  besides basic internet... surfing, email, ftp, etc. is:

a dial out device for the security system

att microcell for the iPhones

ooma phone system (sitting in a box until the rest of this mess is sorted)

The uverse coming to the house at one time delivered TV if this helps identify what is coming down our pipes. Also, somewhere along the line I discovered that uverse dsl is not the same as dsl provided by other vendors... we are too far from key phone equipment or I would have migrated off to what to me seems a simpler system years ago.

Message 4 of 12 (817 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

If you don't have the 3800 (or 3801 or i3812v), you can not connect to the ATT servers and be authorized for the internet.  Simple as that.  You are on VDSL internet and these are the only Gateways that can be used currently.  That's why they allow another router to work behind it, thru DMZ, for your benefit, Smiley Wink

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 12 (793 Views)
Teacher

Chris,

That is super useful to know.  You gave a really clear, simple answer... I have read hundreds of posts at this forum and none have made it clear why so many of us are having so much trouble over a period of about 5 years, doing what ostensibly is very simple... get Uverse internet service, hook up a modem, put a router behind the modem and go to it.

I had never cottened on to VDSL not really being an industry standard technology where many devices made by many vendors play well together.  This also explains why no N capability etc... this is a closed system, with two options which have been out there for over 5 years. One has to wonder if the business model is that we will be useing 3800's  on ATT VDSL 5 years from now.

Thanks again... that was a fantastic post.  I hope your supervisors don't think you let the "cat (named Monopoly) out of the bag".

Message 6 of 12 (775 Views)
ACE - Expert

They do have an 'n' gateway in the works though from Pace (bought out 2wire), so it may be coming out soon. Smiley Wink

Chris

Message 7 of 12 (742 Views)
Employee

The new gateway is a replacement for the inid/i38HG currently being used on bonded pair installs. The new gateway initially will only be used on new installs (does support both single and bonded) while repairs will continue with inids till inventory is depleted. The 3800 (used less than 2000 ft) and 3801 (longer loop lengths) will be standard for years to come.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 12 (658 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

The new Pace 5168 gateway has 'N' capability but it is only for Internet and VoIP installs only.  As for switching out to it, be prepared to pay for it since it is only sold for $100 unless it's under a warranty replacement but only after all 3600 stock is depleted.  If you want to upgrade to the new pair bonded gateway to get 'N' you'll end up upgrading to new internet speeds beyond 24 when they become available.

Also, there is a modem only for VDSL which is produced by Motorola but those can only be installed on a very limited number of business accounts.  And there is no way to convince someone to swap it out because usually only a few are kept on hand in an area.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 12 (628 Views)

I have the same problem also, I think the 2Wire 3600HGV is an old equipment with an updated software to work with the U-Verse. I think AT&T used the 3600HGV like 10 years ago with their DSL, so why are they brining it back. You can buy a new 2Wire 3600HGV for like $40 online, so why are they charging $100 for it? Also the 3801HGV is another 2Wire that support both internet and TV for U-Verse and it is smaller than the 3600HGV. Something is going on here...

Message 10 of 12 (529 Views)
ACE - Expert

ahmad.elghazali wrote:

I have the same problem also, I think the 2Wire 3600HGV is an old equipment with an updated software to work with the U-Verse. I think AT&T used the 3600HGV like 10 years ago with their DSL, so why are they brining it back. You can buy a new 2Wire 3600HGV for like $40 online, so why are they charging $100 for it? Also the 3801HGV is another 2Wire that support both internet and TV for U-Verse and it is smaller than the 3600HGV. Something is going on here...

The 3600 HGV is a VDSL2 modem.  It would not work with ADSL.  While I found quite a few USED 3600's online for $40, I didn't see any new ones offered.  You'd want to be sure it comes with AT&T's firmware on it, else there would be no chance AT&T would activate it for you.

Message 11 of 12 (483 Views)
Mentor

What you are looking for is the new NVG589 which replaces out the giant battery box with a small LION battery inside the RG (smaller than the older RG's), and also does away with the outside iNID on the wall of your home. Oh, and it has Wireless N, is fully bridgeable, and allows faster connections at much longer distances. And this is designed for the uVerse Triple Play, so VDSL, VOIP, and Internet all in one. So what you want and need is out there. The trick is getting one...
Message 12 of 12 (451 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.