Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 20, 2013
8:04:32 PM
Slow internet on peak days?

Does anyone have lagging issues on Friday and Saturday nights? I have the 15 mbps plan and lately while running speedtest.net I only get about 12. 

Both laptops and desktop are about the same. Obviously I would accept some lag if all were in use downloading/uploading but that isn't the case.

I fear ATT is increasing the customer base in the area and in turn slows everything down.

Any clues out there?

Does anyone have lagging issues on Friday and Saturday nights? I have the 15 mbps plan and lately while running speedtest.net I only get about 12. 

Both laptops and desktop are about the same. Obviously I would accept some lag if all were in use downloading/uploading but that isn't the case.

I fear ATT is increasing the customer base in the area and in turn slows everything down.

Any clues out there?

Slow internet on peak days?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2013 5:55:50 AM
(0)
Master

antman_2 wrote:

Any clues out there?

Do you also have Uverse TV? Friday and Saturday nights are big TV watching times and your TV can suck bandwidth from your Internet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

antman_2 wrote:

Any clues out there?

Do you also have Uverse TV? Friday and Saturday nights are big TV watching times and your TV can suck bandwidth from your Internet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Re: Slow internet on peak days?

2 of 8 (724 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2013 1:12:49 PM
(0)
Guru

Yes. I figured it would be a bandwidth thing. Still shouldn't be the case. That's where xfinity surpasses att (the only thing). What do I do now?

thanks for reply

Yes. I figured it would be a bandwidth thing. Still shouldn't be the case. That's where xfinity surpasses att (the only thing). What do I do now?

thanks for reply

3 of 8 (698 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2013 6:21:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

get a VPN.

get a VPN.

4 of 8 (679 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

5 of 8 (664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2013 10:38:55 PM
(0)
Guru

What's a vpn? some amplifier device? Thanks for the help

6 of 8 (649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2013 6:20:20 AM
(0)
Master

antman_2 wrote:

Virtual Private Network.

If you picture the Internet as a pipe of running water, A VPN would be like running your own tube up through that pipe so your water does not mix with the rest of the water in the pipe.

I would take the other poster's remarks about VPN with a grain of salt. Although a VPN can improve security/privacy of your data, it's not likely to speed up your Internet. In fact it's more liable to slow down gaming because of the extra work done encapsulating and un-encapsulating you data at each end of your VPN. As well most game servers are not set up for VPN connections, so (as the other poster has to do) you'd have to VPN to an intermediary proxy (VPN endpoint) and then on to the game server.

antman_2 wrote:

Virtual Private Network.

If you picture the Internet as a pipe of running water, A VPN would be like running your own tube up through that pipe so your water does not mix with the rest of the water in the pipe.

I would take the other poster's remarks about VPN with a grain of salt. Although a VPN can improve security/privacy of your data, it's not likely to speed up your Internet. In fact it's more liable to slow down gaming because of the extra work done encapsulating and un-encapsulating you data at each end of your VPN. As well most game servers are not set up for VPN connections, so (as the other poster has to do) you'd have to VPN to an intermediary proxy (VPN endpoint) and then on to the game server.

neon_sign.jpg

7 of 8 (629 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2013 10:25:02 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am just reporting what my experience has been. If you VPN all the way through china russia south africa them yea your speeds may degrade. When I run a speedtest with the VPN enabled I actually register 20mbps. My package is for 18 so yea...

I am just reporting what my experience has been. If you VPN all the way through china russia south africa them yea your speeds may degrade. When I run a speedtest with the VPN enabled I actually register 20mbps. My package is for 18 so yea...

8 of 8 (596 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments