Slow U-verse Internet Speed

Slow U-verse Internet Speed

I previously had AT&T DSL service. When I finally received notice from AT&T that U-verse was available in my area I hopped on it right away, opting the highest speed plan available.  My U-verse Voice & Internet Max was tech installed late October.  It worked fabulous for two months but afterwards things went south. 

I noticed a slowdown in speed that it seemed like I was back on DSL service.  I called AT&T tech support and they had a technician come to my house.  After inspection and performing tests, he said there was nothing wrong inside my home.  He noticed that there was about 30 feet of excess cable hanging outside on their pole and said that could be the culprit and arranged to have another department come out and cut the excess, which they did the same day.  It didn't help however.  After calling AT&T support again they advised me to reset my modem and the higher speed returned.  However a few hours later the slowdown happened once again.  AT&T support arranged to send me a replacement modem.  In the interim, whenever I noticed a slowdown in speed, I would reset the modem and the higher speed would return.  I usually had a window of a few hours before the speed would slow down again. 

I replaced my first modem with the 2WIRE Gateway a week ago Friday.  It worked fine until the other night when I noticed the slowdown once more.  Only this time after reset my higher speed does not stick around for long or even come back.  I called AT&T support yesterday and the rep said the noticed a port issue on the network box that he would arrange to have AT&T service Saturday.  This was not to be at my house however all day today I had constant high speed.  I was happy thinking AT&T had resolved the issue but sadly the speed dropped again before 11:00pm.  About 10 minutes later it went back up but dropped 8 minutes later.  An AT&T rep is supposed to visit my house tomorrow between 12-4pm.  For what purpose I don't know, I will try to remain positive.

I decided to post here because this seems to be an issue that is happening to many other customers as well.  I will report the outcome of my tech support visit tomorrow.  This certainly is frustrating. 

Message 1 of 10 (6,714 Views)
Contributor

Re: Slow U-verse Internet Speed

I will be very curious to know your outcome being that I have been having the same issue for about 5 months now and no resolve. 

Message 2 of 10 (6,692 Views)

5 months?!?  Have you been in touch with AT&T tech support, what have they done?  That's scary, I can imagine how frustrating that must be.

Logged on this morning and my high speed is back.  Will report back after tech visit.

Message 3 of 10 (6,671 Views)

Tech representative came out to my house this afternoon.  After testing, he is the second rep to tell me that the line inside my house is "super clean".  He then left and when he came back he told me he changed out the port on the network box.  He also gave me a new modem, the same as the first one I had, which is the Pace 3801HGV.  After reconnecting my speed was back up.  The real test however will come in the late evening, to see if holds up and then in the coming weeks, months (and hopefully years).  I sure hope the issue is resolved.  Will report back.

Message 4 of 10 (6,637 Views)
ACE - Expert

If you have additional issues after this, why don't you download UV Realtime, install it, run it and post screenshots of the IP/Profile tab, Bitloading tab, Error Table tab, and Coax/HPNA tab.

To post screenshots in the forum, reply to this post and use the Insert/Edit Image button (it looks like a tree) in the post editor. One of us will look at your information and let you know what we think.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 10 (6,631 Views)

Thanks for the advice, I've downloaded the program.  Better yet, I hope I won't need to use it.  One week after my service call and I've had no issues.  I hope it stays that way!

Message 6 of 10 (6,484 Views)

Just over two months later, today the issue with connectivity and speed came back.  Since I'm on my third modem in five months with several tech representatives telling me everything in my house is super clean, I know it's the modem.  However, here are the screencaps from UV Realtime.  I would appreciate some feedback.  Thank you.

Message 7 of 10 (6,190 Views)
Contributor

same issue for me. I will cancel my uverse service and switch to Time Warner because it is just stall and run around answers from ATT

Everyone cancel Uverse and switch to another service.

Couldn't be any worse, right??

Message 8 of 10 (5,924 Views)
Contributor

just come clean as to the reason ATT. no more stall and delay

We don't need to download anything, Speakeasy.net speed test shows that my download speed is less than 0.5 mbps in the evening

Message 9 of 10 (5,923 Views)
ACE - Expert

@switchin: If you are "switchintoTimeWarner" why are you still posting here?

@madrosegal : I'm sorry, I'm just seeing your earlier post.  You have a bad drop out at around 1120 KHz, with what could be harmonics near by.  Do you live near an AM radio station near that frequency?  Your tech probably needs to properly ground things and possibly employ a choke to try to get rid of this interference.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 10 (5,900 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.