Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 18, 2014
9:23:06 AM
View profile
Slow Internet with Secondary Router
Edited by gght on Feb 18, 2014 at 9:32:47 AM

I have a netgear router attached to my gateway (going on 5 years now). About a year ago, I noticed a slow down with Internet speed. Google.com pings would range 500-700ms wher eit is normally 35-50ms. I took the Netgear out of the DMZplus mode (set it to maximum protection mode) and rebooted the gateway and the netgear. Problem went away. Now, any time I place the Netgear in the DMZplus mode, the high pings eventually return, not immediately, but usually within a few hours. My Netgear has an IP of 192.168.2.1. Any ideas on why this might be happening? Note: I have wirless disabled on Gateway so no interference there. This problem occurs wireless or wired.

I have a netgear router attached to my gateway (going on 5 years now). About a year ago, I noticed a slow down with Internet speed. Google.com pings would range 500-700ms wher eit is normally 35-50ms. I took the Netgear out of the DMZplus mode (set it to maximum protection mode) and rebooted the gateway and the netgear. Problem went away. Now, any time I place the Netgear in the DMZplus mode, the high pings eventually return, not immediately, but usually within a few hours. My Netgear has an IP of 192.168.2.1. Any ideas on why this might be happening? Note: I have wirless disabled on Gateway so no interference there. This problem occurs wireless or wired.

Slow Internet with Secondary Router

[ Edited ]
1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2014 6:21:44 PM
(0)
Expert
Obviously something going wrong with the NetGear router, maybe a hardware issue. Could be a power supply or capacitor that's going bad, especially after 5 years. Could also be a heat-related issue since you say it will work decent for a while but starts acting up after a few hours.

Might be time for a new router.

Obviously something going wrong with the NetGear router, maybe a hardware issue. Could be a power supply or capacitor that's going bad, especially after 5 years. Could also be a heat-related issue since you say it will work decent for a while but starts acting up after a few hours.

Might be time for a new router.

Re: Slow Internet with Secondary Router

2 of 2 (166 Views)